Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denisch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2021
I use only original Apple wires and power supplies, I don’t overheat my smartphone and I don’t even discharge it below 10%, but the battery capacity is 90% after 8 months ... With this capacity, my iPhone 13 Pro can only provide 3-4 display time, which is sorely lacking for the whole day.

In my Apple Store (Turkey) the replacement will take about 5 days and they don't provide the replacement phone…

Reactions: koigirl and Ram65

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
That’s probably normal to high battery degradation. I wouldn’t bother changing the battery just yet as you’ll be in the same situation in 8 months time.

You could use a MagSafe battery pack to provide an extra 3 hours of active use.

Nessi

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2022
this is my battery exactly after eight months of use. I usually charge my phone every single night I leave it on charger up until morning and having an iPhone 13 pro max I usually end up the day with 50% battery left and I never had issues with the battery.

Attachments

• 5033926B-5481-4B32-8AD6-6E3F41D8A622.png
    5033926B-5481-4B32-8AD6-6E3F41D8A622.png
    264.6 KB · Views: 2,192

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
Got my 13p august 8th and it's down to 99% already. Could be just a weird reading but I've never had a battery dip below 100 this fast.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
iPhone 13 Pro Max here, purchased early January this year. Charge normally once every two days with 20W Apple charger. 90% battery health after only 8 months isn’t normal.

Attachments

• 0FDFB43E-9199-4DD0-89B5-AFA5829BBDEE.png
    0FDFB43E-9199-4DD0-89B5-AFA5829BBDEE.png
    284 KB · Views: 554

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
90% is not unusual for an 8 month old phone that is really getting used a lot. if used a lot you could have over 200 full battery cycles on it and 90% could be accurate.

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
Mine dropped to 96% after 9 months. My friend's 13P, bought some days after mine, still is at 100%. Weird but I don't see any difference from day to day battery life.

iAvi

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2022
My 13P dropped to 98% in the initial two months, and sustained at that % for the next six months. In a matter of few weeks after that, it plummeted to 95%. I have now stopped looking at the Battery health :)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
My launch day iPhone 13 Pro that I've been using since 24.09.2021 is still at 100%.

I basically only charge it at night using the 5W adapter, maybe that's helped. But I also believe the original actual capacity was above the design capacity, meaning the degradation its experienced probably just isn't yet shown on the software side.

If you're using fast charging and draining your battery 100% to 0% (or close to) every day, then I think that's an expected amount of degradation.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
I’m guessing OP is using either wireless charging, a third party charger or just on it all day long?!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Lithium batteries degrade, then settle. This device could sit at 90% for the next 3 years.

You guys pay way too much attention to these things without bothering to understand that battery degradation is NOT linear.

This is how iPhone batteries have behaved since lithium polymer batteries were chosen, it’s just how they work regardless of the device they’re in.

I’m usually light on moderation here at MR, but I wish there was logic to see a user is posting yet another battery degradation topic. There’s literally thousands here that can be searched for.

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2020
AE
I’m guessing OP is using either wireless charging, a third party charger or just on it all day long?!
Nothing wrong with slow 3rd party charger. I’m using old Samsung Galaxy chargers equally with iPhone charger.
What boils the battery is fast charging from Macbook ports.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I use only original Apple wires and power supplies, I don’t overheat my smartphone and I don’t even discharge it below 10%, but the battery capacity is 90% after 8 months ... With this capacity, my iPhone 13 Pro can only provide 3-4 display time, which is sorely lacking for the whole day.

In my Apple Store (Turkey) the replacement will take about 5 days and they don't provide the replacement phone…
This is ridiculous for apple Unacceptable especially for the money they charging for there devices

Reactions: koigirl

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
I use some 3rd party chargers and cables. my 12PM was still at 100% when I upgraded to the 14PM. I also use a 5w brick along with not letting the phone get above 85% or fall below 20%. But I also have the freedom of not having to be on my phone all day long. So usually when get home from work I'll have close to 70% left so i can still go into the next day with plenty of battery. Keeping it on the charger after it is fully charged I'm sure can cause some issue's. I know a lot say no but I don't leave mine in a charger all night. Even my iphone 6 is still at 99% and I use that for music sometimes at work.

James

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
OK really quick….

Say you had a lab environment with 100% controlled heat/temperature/charging rates. Phones would still be different because batteries are different, come with different capacities, and wear differently.

Now, to the real world… User A charges their phone on a wireless pad in their car in the sun every day for hours - cooking their phone daily - using high energy applications charging several times a day. User B reads books, rarely uses their phone, charges via wire on a desk in a very cool office - lucky to use 25% battery a day.

Obviously in the above scenario, even if the batteries were PERFECTLY IDENTICAL - User A’s phone would deteriorate rapidly vs User B’s phone.

Now add in different battery capacities from factory, charge types, usage differences and it’s REALLY difficult to compare usage with other people.

My friend has a 13PM and I have a 13PM. My capacity is 101% and his is approaching 90%. His 13PM sits on a wireless charging pad overheating in the sun regularly and is used much more heavily than mine. His wife’s 13PM iPhone is used similarly but hers is still 99%.

Like another poster here said - their iPhone could sit at 90% for the next 2 years, etc. We just don’t know.

Battery health at glance is not as valuable as battery health over the LIFE of the phone. Highly recommend coconutBattery (Mac OS App) to watch the health of your phone over its life, not just one point in time. It’s possible the OP’s phone came under provisioned from the factory. Who knows.

Reactions: iAvi

MecEbanks

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022
Lithium batteries degrade, then settle. This device could sit at 90% for the next 3 years.

You guys pay way too much attention to these things without bothering to understand that battery degradation is NOT linear.

This is how iPhone batteries have behaved since lithium polymer batteries were chosen, it’s just how they work regardless of the device they’re in.

I’m usually light on moderation here at MR, but I wish there was logic to see a user is posting yet another battery degradation topic. There’s literally thousands here that can be searched for.
It just went down to 89 I’m sure this isn’t normal it hasn’t been a year yet…

MecEbanks

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022

I mean my battery health was at 90just a week ago and now at 89

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I mean my battery health was at 90just a week ago and now at 89
Battery degradation is NOT linear, period. You can’t take the idea that 10% over 12 months means 20% over 24. The chemistry of these batteries just doesn’t work that way.

Unless there is something truly defective about a battery, it will drop to a certain point that it settles into for a much longer time then it took to get there. People mistake that initial drop as something they can project into the future, but you just can’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.