Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
I noticed that in a fairly quiet room, the screen (or the processor?) makes a buzzing/static sound.
The same goes for the camera; if I hold it close to my ear and have the camera on, I can hear how something makes a sound. This could be the sensor shifting, but the other sound when something is being processed on the screen.
Is this normal and happens on your 13 Pro too?

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Any idea what the sound is?

I’m not sure. The biggest hardware change is the new sensor shift in the main camera, compared to optical image stabilisation in previous iPhones. So that could produce the sound.

Megabass

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2020
Moscow, Russia
Maybe. Then the same sound should be made by the camera block on iphone 12 pro max. It remains to hear about it from the owners of IP ohone 12 pro max :)

anotherjeremyirons

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2020
I've noticed the same sounds from my 13 Pro:
  • a constant, soft static sound when the camera is on
  • a harsher, fast-switching electronic buzz when the processor is working hard
The latter sound is almost certainly coil whine, which is a frustrating reality for a lot of electronics, but this is the first time I've heard it from a smart phone. A lot of higher-powered PC graphics cards make these sounds, and you can tell it's not the fans because it switches instantly as a result of how much an application is asking of the GPU.

The static I'm not as sure about. There are a lot of bits of hardware that only start running when you open the camera app. There are the cameras with whatever features like sensor shift, and the LiDAR along with other separate sensors. I don't know enough about the electronics in the camera package to point at any one in particular, but it's important to remember that it could all just be coil whine as a result of the very different power consumption profile the phone has when you're using the camera. The only sound I'm certain is not coil whine is that faint clicking from the camera as tries in vain to focus on my ear from 5mm away.

Both sounds are extremely quiet. I have only noticed them when my fridge is off and the phone is face-up on a hard, shiny surface like the kitchen table or counter, or when I hold the back of the phone to my ear. That said, I'm a bit surprised that this is the only thread I've seen on the subject. I wonder if all 13 Pros make these noises, but unfortunately you need very quiet conditions to test this.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I remember my Note 20 ultra emitting a high pitched tone via its inbuilt earpiece when not being used. Only occurred when placed near head. Probably proximity sensor related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.