Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr8hii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
I've been using my phone for 2-3 days and have noticed that, when I talk to somebody while holding the phone, the ear speaker is very "tinny" sounding. It's most pronounced on "s" sounds. It sounds like the person on the other end is taking their phone and rubbing it across their pants. It's almost like a static accompanies every sound. Now that I've heard it, I can't un-hear it. I've swapped back to my Xs and the sound is much better. I've tried at home on wifi and out and about on 5G. I've reset the phone and no change. I know all of my ringtones sounded different with the phone, but I had written that off as the difference you get when jumping from XS to the 13pro. Now, I'm starting to think the speaker has trouble. I contacted Apple and my options were to a) have BestBuy crack it open and look at it (no apple store near me) or b) send it to Apple and let them crack it open and look at it. I'm not happy about having a 3 day old phone getting taken apart. They said my final option was to return and re-purchase. I'll either do that or just suck up the sound and trade it in on a refurb through AppleCare in a month or two. Anybody else hearing subpar speaker performance?

zimbo76

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2021
Both my phone and wife’s phone sound terrible. It is awful. The quality it really bad. Going to return the phones tomorrow and try new ones.

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
My iPhone 13 Pro Max sounds much better than my iPhone 12 Pro Max. The sound is much fuller but it's still a smartphone speaker. Having a Bang & Olufsen speaker might have drastically upped the iPhone 13 Pro Max price even for the base storage model.

gr8hii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Both my phone and wife’s phone sound terrible. It is awful. The quality it really bad. Going to return the phones tomorrow and try new ones.
Please let me know if you have luck. I called apple and they can’t swap due to no stock.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Sounds great here, even better than my 12 pro max, return it, must have a defective model.

Hoss713

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
I'm having the same problem. I only started to notice it in the last day or so... I'm wondering if iOS 15.1 is the cause.

Edit: I just reverted back to 15.0.2 and the problem still exists.

Last edited:

Womback

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2021
Same exact thing here with my new iphone13. On top of people sounding tinny, they say I sound tinny to them. Sucks!

primadiva

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2007
Just picked up my new iPhone 13 Pro. Same issue. I also have some damage to my ears, so the tinny sound feels like a spike being driven into my ear, it's so painful. I've had it an hour and I really think it must go back.

Anyone else have luck exchanging?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.