Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
The mute switch and volume buttons on my 13PM are very clicky, but my power button is super soft and feels much more sponge-y. The power button on my 12PM is noticeably more clicky compared to the 13PM’s as well.

Anyone else? Wondering if this is intentional or not. Not a big deal and I don’t plan on taking it to the Apple Store unless it gets worse.

• Haha
Reactions: Fred Zed

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
The mute switch and volume buttons on my 13PM are very clicky, but my power button is super soft and feels much more sponge-y. The power button on my 12PM is noticeably more clicky compared to the 13PM’s as well.

Anyone else?

None of my buttons are soft. They’re all made from the same alloy. The power button has a slightly more audible click than the volume buttons, slightly less than the mute switch. Although, I never would have noticed the difference if you hadn’t asked.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
None of my buttons are soft. They’re all made from the same alloy. The power button has a slightly more audible click than the volume buttons, slightly less than the mute switch. Although, I never would have noticed the difference if you hadn’t asked.
Haha I mean the button mechanism feels “soft”, not the button being physically soft. But thanks for sharing! I can hear the volume buttons click but the power button doesn’t make a sound. Almost as if something is stuck in it. But visually it looks fine and this thing is only 2 days old, no way something is already crammed in there. Hmm.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Update for anyone who might come across this: Power button is magically back to being nice and clicky, feels the same as the volume buttons. Really odd. Must have somehow gotten dust or something jammed in/underneath the button. Hopefully it doesn’t return…

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I noticed the same on my 13PM. All other buttons clicky, the power button very mushy.

I first noticed it in a case, and thought it was caused by the case being mis-molded or something. Popped it out and it's still very mushy, to the point that I'm going to bring it in for evaluation and possible replacement.

ETA: My other 13PM power button feels fine. Very clicky.

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
It also matters what case is on your phone. Got a symmetry at att store,power button was loose AF.. And the case was hurting my finger..exchanged it for a defender pro and the power button is stiff and clicks like normal. I liked the form factor of the symmetry but the hard plastic near lightning portwas killing my pinky after 20 minutes. The tighter your case is it might affect the button clickiness just my opinion????

kareemmk

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021

Anyone else? Wondering if this is intentional or not. Not a big deal and I don’t plan on taking it to the Apple Store unless it gets worse.
I can confirm the exact same observation on my Iphone 13 Pro Max…The power button seems more mushy as compared to both the mute switch and volume buttons which are more solid, clicky in their response.

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018

I'm glad you brought this up. Before I returned my Apple leather case, I had complained that the volume buttons were very tactile, but I had to press the power button with a little more force. Now that I read your post, I'm wondering if the issue wasn't with the case but the phone itself.

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
UPDATE: I took the mushy 13PM to the Genius bar. The tech tried the button and immediately agreed that it wasn't right.

They brought up the repair screen on their iPad, and the first suggestion was to clean the button with a 100% isopropyl alcohol pad before submitting for repair/replacement.

The tech got an IPA pad and proceeded to dribble IPA around the edges, while clicking the button, then soaking up the excess.

And it worked!! The power button clicks just fine now. I'm thinking that maybe there was some left over sealant/adhesive from the factory that the IPA dissolved.

We'll still keep an eye on it in case it reverts back to mushy, but for now we're happy with it.

Reactions: WNYX

slawmunny

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2021
I thought I was the only one with this problem. My iPhone 13 pro's power button also seems a bit mushy, or spongy, when compared to the volume buttons.

At first, I thought it was the Apple leather case I was using, so I went out and bought another leather case. But after trying couple of cases (both the Apple silicone and leather cases), I found that my brand new 13 pro's power button—similar to your 13PM—is less audible when clicking it.

I've tried wiping the button with an IPA pad and that didn't really do anything.

If I may ask, what did you end up doing to fix it?

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021

The power button on my 13pm is quite ‘clicky’. It feels just as clicky as the volume rocker does.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I love this forum ?
It drives people to look for non existent issues, and you made my click my iPhone 13 Pro buttons to check it.
BTW I understand your concerns: if it is caused by dust or whatever stuck behind the button, it could get worse over the time and cause the button to stop working properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.