Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cezinho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
The ‘volume up’ button in my new iPhone 13 Pro makes a distinctive metal-on-metal, louder-than-normal clicking sound, as if it was missing a rubber component.

The ‘volume down’ button is OK and sounds much more muted.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

It seems the hardware has a manufacturing defect.

topre

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2021
Similar thing on mine. Metal on metal is a good way to describe it. Volume up only, volume down sounds fine. Would you say it's very obvious on yours or more so if you listen for it?

DarArchibald

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Similar thing on mine. Metal on metal is a good way to describe it. Volume up only, volume down sounds fine. Would you say it's very obvious on yours or more so if you listen for it?
It’s not a big issue. It’s only noticeable in a quite environment (e.g. bedroom) and when I’m quite close to the phone.

cezinho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I can hear it (and feel it) a bit more prominently than just in a quiet room, and without being super close to it, either — enough to bother me. My sense is that it will just get worse over time and become a real clunker.

Last edited:
Reactions: aldenh

xavras

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2019
Each button (including power) makes a different sound. Steel frame, steel buttons
Besides, there is more space "under" the volume up button.
ee084cb8d6dfdc507a38a190e340f9ff.jpg

I just listened to 3 others. Such a charm of this model, as you can see. For me - EOT

Last edited:
Reactions: aldenh

Nikart

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
Same metallic sound with volume up button! Iphone 13 pro max (eu version)… tried another one , but volume up button sounds also louder with metallic sound.

Reactions: iBlessed and aldenh

DarArchibald

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
I tried 5 different iPhone 13 Pro in the Apple Store. They all have a metallic sound. Seems like it’s normal this generation and not a defect.

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
The ‘volume up’ button in my new iPhone 13 Pro makes a distinctive metal-on-metal, louder-than-normal clicking sound, as if it was missing a rubber component.

Thats funny, noticed the exact same thing today while on a phone call trying to increase the volume. Cleaned it with air duster and wiped it clean with microfiber cloth think something got stuck. That didnt help. Now wondering if I should go return it, unfortunately I got it on contract with a Canadian carrier.

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
I can hear it (and feel it) a bit more prominently than just in a quiet room, and without being super close to it, either — enough to bother me. My sense is that it will just get worse over time and become a real clunker.
I can only hear the difference when the phone is on my ear. Like today while on phone call, I noticed it right away!

Reactions: Nikart

flamehop12

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2021
I also have this issue. Did anyone return their iPhones for a new one or is this just a common issue with the new iPhone 13 pros?

Nikart

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
I also have this issue. Did anyone return their iPhones for a new one or is this just a common issue with the new iPhone 13 pros?
I ordered 3 iphones (2 - 13 pro max, 1 - 13 pro)… all of them has this sound. Actually not everybody notice it. When my friend tried the buttons he told that everything is ok ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Eu versions.

iBlessed

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2021
Same issue and glad it’s not just my 13 Pro, I thought the volume up button was damaged at 1st. It’s a metallic higher pitch sound than the volume down. Tinny echo.

miko108

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2021
I think this is something new for iphone 13 pro + pro max models. As you can see in the pictures, it looks like the volume up button is slightly different than the volume down button compared to the 11 and 12 models. It's probably something I shouldn't pay so much attention to but my OCD tells me otherwise.. lol

macrumor.png

inigou

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2016
Hi. Any updates on this? I have the same issue. Up volume makes a high pitch metallic sound.
Button works fine and feels sturdy from the outside.
Only audible when my phone is in my ear.
Basically i would like to know if its a real issue and can affect the function in mid/long term or is just the annoying sound and no more than that.
Mine is a 13 pro max.
Thanks!

Chanunu

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2021
I think I have same issue here :( mine’s iphone 13 kr version. There’s like a spring sound whenever i pressed it :(

Andrii/

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2022
Hi. Any updates on this? I have the same issue. Up volume makes a high pitch metallic sound.
Button works fine and feels sturdy from the outside.
Only audible when my phone is in my ear.
Basically i would like to know if its a real issue and can affect the function in mid/long term or is just the annoying sound and no more than that.
Mine is a 13 pro max.
Thanks!
Hello. I have such a problem with iPhone 13. I have a question. Does your device work well, despite such a strange key sound? I mean do you still have the volume buttons working despite the weird sound? Thank you.

Andrii/

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2022

Hello. I found such a problem on the iPhone 13. In your opinion, the device will work normally, despite the strange sound of the keys?

Ezabruskov

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2022
Hello. I found such a problem on the iPhone 13. In your opinion, the device will work normally, despite the strange sound of the keys?
I have a similar situation with the volume buttons on my iphone 13 pro max, different metallic sound, more muffled and more sonorous on different buttons.
My wife has the same phone and everything is fine with her.
We have been using it for 8 months, the situation has not changed for the better, not for the worse. Probably this is a defect ...
I think whether to contact the seller, what he can say, whether he will change the phone...🤷🏻‍♂️

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I have a similar situation with the volume buttons on my iphone 13 pro max, different metallic sound, more muffled and more sonorous on different buttons.
My wife has the same phone and everything is fine with her.
We have been using it for 8 months, the situation has not changed for the better, not for the worse. Probably this is a defect ...
I think whether to contact the seller, what he can say, whether he will change the phone...🤷🏻‍♂️
After you using it for 8 months? Probably not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.