Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
If it worked with gloves, that would be scary! That would mean it's unlocking without being able to scan your fingerprint.
That's my point... TouchID has failed/cause far more inconveniences than FaceID ever has. People having problems "smiling, off to the side glances" etc. have to either be lying or have the worst luck in the world. I was brushing my teeth yesterday morning and was able to unlock the phone for something.

zpjet

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2005
Because it’s only currently affecting iPhone 13 users I presume.
Whilst true, it could also be affecting other phones which you migrated to using iOS 15.
Or, it’s really just 13 as they had a special build.

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
That's my point... TouchID has failed/cause far more inconveniences than FaceID ever has. People having problems "smiling, off to the side glances" etc. have to either be lying or have the worst luck in the world. I was brushing my teeth yesterday morning and was able to unlock the phone for something.
LOL. I've done that so many times at the start of the day.

Reactions: Razorpit

zpjet

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2005
Dumb question, but why would this be an iPhone 13 issue and not an iOS 15 issue?

edited to clarify: I understand that it only affects iPhone 13. My question is *why* does it only happen with 13s? If X, 11, 12 and 13 are all running iOS 15, why is it only the 13s with the issue? From what it sounds like, it seems it would be more of a software issue than hardware.
I hope that clarifies things
Dumb question, but why would this be an iPhone 13 issue and not an iOS 15 issue?

edited to clarify: I understand that it only affects iPhone 13. My question is *why* does it only happen with 13s? If X, 11, 12 and 13 are all running iOS 15, why is it only the 13s with the issue? From what it sounds like, it seems it would be more of a software issue than hardware.
I hope that clarifies things.
I’ve got two answers.

1) it only affects 13 because they had a special build and I wonder if this issue would be preventable if I first set up the phone as new, updated, resettled and then migrated from my 12 mini.

2) it affects all phones migrated to using iOS 15.0. So not only 13, but also everyone else who recently moved to a new phone. But surely, numbers of these who bought an old phone in the last few days is much smaller than all the new 13s.

Reactions: decypher44

zpjet

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2005
So glad my 13 mini is working like it should with this feature. So far, I haven't experienced any problems, unlike the 12 mini launch day release lol.
We have questions.
Did you migrate from an old phone?
Did you upgrade before migration?

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Probably planned this way by Apple. After all they would have even looked worse if they had pulled this functionality for 15.3+. The probably felt like they had to release something, even if it had a lot of bugs.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
Sorry, I miss understood the point.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
Everything worked wonderfully on 12 pro, iOS 15. My 13 pro refuses to acknowledge I have an AW.
I had that last year when I got the AW 6. I unpaired, repaired, wiped, etc. Then it connected, but GPS mapping...on walks/runs didn't work.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I am also experiencing the same issue. I transferred all apps and settings directly from my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I have a Series 6 Apple Watch. I am not going to reset any of the devices since others have already tried that to no effect.

Reactions: KurtWilde

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
Well - the *Unlock items are in iCloud Keychain, so it would make some sense.
There was a weird thing there - I had two entries for iPhones, one was 12 mini I used last year and another iPhone 13 Pro I got today, but the dates on those two records were kinda swapped (mini had today's date, 13 much older), so I got them passwords and talks etc recreated but it is still the same.
I did have a moment when I didn't delete all of it and I got the very same error on the Mac so I guess if we had a chance to edit Keychain on iPhone we could fix it.
I'm so used to unlock when wearing a mask but it's not the end of the world, someone will find a fix or it will be solved by an update.
This. I’ve used the “keychain surgery” method in the past with success for Watch/Mac unlock problems. Watch unlock works through Continuity using keys synced via iCloud Keychain. When you unpair your watch iOS will (or should) remove those keys. When you transfer the Watch, new keys must be created on the new iPhone. Possibly the old ones are being migrated or maybe they aren’t being created. This wouldn’t be an if you set up the new iPhone new. The odd thing is that it occurs with many but not all.

Having said that, I would not do the Keychain surgery or unpair Watch today. I’d give it a day or two to see if there is an iOS update to fix this, 0% storage, more storage available than device capacity, and other known broken things.

Now if UPS would arrive… now 30 min overdue…

edit: ok, didn’t see the post with problem after setting up as new… but doesn’t seem most have that problem.

Reactions: moyjoy

rmiller065

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
my 13 pro came with iOS 15 installed, but I notice there is an update. Going to give this a try - NEED my watch back. I also did the phone-to-phone data transfer from my 12 pro, watch is dead

Damstr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
my 13 pro came with iOS 15 installed, but I notice there is an update. Going to give this a try - NEED my watch back. I also did the phone-to-phone data transfer from my 12 pro, watch is dead
I noticed the same thing. I checked my version afterwards and it still says iOS 15.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.