Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Given the beauty of the 12 pro, the last thing I want is a return to TouchID. FaceID is fast and more convenient

Reactions: Barbareren

Kognito

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
Given the beauty of the 12 pro, the last thing I want is a return to TouchID. FaceID is fast and more convenient
I doubt Apple will remove FaceID, but I wonder whether we'll see it in addition to TouchID in the power button as per the iPad Air (or somewhere else?). That to me would be a winning combo.

FaceID is great, but since the pandemic the occasional FaceID failure due to sunlight, off-angle issue, etc has become a daily near 100% failure rate when I'm outside the house (wearing a face mask). The biometrics have become about as useful as an iPhone 5 or earlier would be.

Even if the pandemic comes to an end in the west this year, I think we'll see persistence of face masks for years in certain situations, in the same way that they were a common sight in many East Asian countries prior to the pandemic after scares with SARS and MERS. That alone makes having just FaceID on future iPhones a much less compelling proposition (to me at least).

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
charging port/Usb C
Large iphone 11/11 pro esque battery
touch ID backup/in power button if covid facemasking is here for the long haul.
Ambivalent about 5g, would have got the 12 pro if battery was as good as 11 pro.
Upgraded camera modules

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
lovetodream has pretty much confirmed we will see Touch ID on the iPhone 13....looking like under the display

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Not that I will be buying an iPhone 13 as I have a 12, but it would be cool to see USB-C, brushed edges and a smaller notch.
b0e30d576764556d32a8e178c81515d5.jpg

Reactions: snipr125

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
  1. Smaller/No Notch (probably won’t happen)
  2. ProMotion on non-Pro models too (again, probably not happening)
  3. 10x Optical Zoom on the telephoto
  4. Smaller apertures on all lenses
  5. Sensor Shift Stabilization for all lenses
  6. Data transfer through MagSafe connectivity
  7. Larger batteries are always a nice bonus. Can’t say no to that.

JM91Six

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2019
120hz will be nice. The notch smaller would be a plus. But a user of a Max device/Plus size phone since they came out with them.. the biggest improvement for me will be iOS 15 and them actually allowing us to use the whole screen real estate by adding multi tasking split screen!!! For Christ sake

Mr.Bigglesworth

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
Don't see a port-less charging option yet... there are a crapload of cars and audio head units that required wired CarPlay at this point... Just don't see Apple screwing that up (yet). They have to wait for the auto manufacturers to make wireless CarPlay more ubiquitous, or they alienate a lot of customers. Hopefully they don't have that much "courage".
This is 100% true.

my Honda Accord needs the phone wired in for the CarPlay to work.

my Toyota Supra does it wireless, which is pretty sweet.

so it’s definitely coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.