Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redwingbb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2021
Hi all - I upgraded from an iPhone 13 Mini to the 14 Pro (regular). One thing that I immediately noticed is phone call voice quality sounds more hollow and less "high definition" than my 13 Mini. I would say the highs are less rich and it's more muddled. This is through the usual earpiece speaker for phone calls, not speakerphone nor any headphones. Having a case on/off doesn't affect it.

I have wifi calling turned off and am talking to the same family members I typically do each day. So, I was surprised by this and even did a network settings reset, checked if there are any new audio or VoLTE options, but no luck.

I'm on the AT&T network and these calls are going over LTE.

Another experiment I tried was listening to the same podcast on both devices at minimum volume and listened through the earpiece speaker used for phone calls. Granted, this isn't an ideal experiment since the audio also comes out the bottom. I noticed that some background hiss was amplified on the new 14 Pro compared to my 13 Mini at the same volume on podcast audio, but it's less noticeable when you turn the volume louder (and also pull it farther from your ear).

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if this is something I should get used to with the 14 Pro -- perhaps it's just different hardware/processing. I'm curious if it affects others or if I have a problematic unit. Thanks!

Last edited:

DeepCobalt

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Over and around
I have the same issues. The phone call voice quality seems hollow and people I am speaking with say I sound "tinny". I also notice some scratchiness through the earpiece (not speakerphone or headphones/airpods). Is this a "feature" or a flaw?

DeepCobalt

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Over and around
UPDATE: After installing the iOS 16.1 update, the scratchiness has improved, but the overall sound is a bit muddled with no highs and lows. Does anyone else notice this?

krebphone

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019
Calls sound fantastic to me on a 14 pro, but I came from an 11 which had the absolute worst call quality I've ever experienced.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Absolutely. Calls do sound tinny from the earpiece. I’m coming from a 12 Pro to a 14 Pro Max and think calls sound worse in quality. It’s weird, though. I only feel this way about calls. Videos, music, and such sound fine.

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
I was doing some searching on call quality becasue it's become a burning issue, it's been interesting to read this topic, and see what is going on with the latest hardware, and it's not good to read. What is going on?

So I decided to setup a specific topic on this issue in lieu of finding a previous historical one (which I have not so far), so all can focus more on the universal issue of call quality and why it's gone to the dogs or so it seems: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...he-defining-feature-that-time-forgot.2392041/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.