Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKRad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Hi, I have a ton of iPhones from my family that use different chargers around the house. I setup my 14 Pro today flawlessly. Everything is perfect except no matter what charger I use, the phone gets exceptionally hot. So hot, in fact, that I get a message the phone stopped charging die to overheating. Anyone have this issue?

Reactions: Pagemakers

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Are these all fast chargers and/or wireless? I charged mine from 60 to 100 after setup using a 5w brick and it was fine, barely even warm.

If it’s a high speed fast charger, it could have been the combination of all the indexing and syncing from the setup combined with high temps from the amount of power drawn. If it’s a wireless charger, those are very inefficient and can generate a lot of heat, and if the brick doesn’t have good power management it could overheat the phone.

Alternatively, it could be a bug in the software that is causing a process to run continuously, resulting in overheating when combined with the added heat from charging. If that is the case, the best bet is to set the phone up as new to test if you get the same result. If you set it up as new and still have the issue, then the likeliest answer is that it’s defective hardware.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Hi, I have a ton of iPhones from my family that use different chargers around the house. I setup my 14 Pro today flawlessly. Everything is perfect except no matter what charger I use, the phone gets exceptionally hot. So hot, in fact, that I get a message the phone stopped charging die to overheating. Anyone have this issue?

‘You phone should not have got hot enough to stop charging, even if fast charging unless the room was very warm and your iPhone is doing some CPU intensive functions.

Reactions: compwiz1202

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
‘You phone should not have got hot enough to stop charging, even if fast charging unless the room was very warm and your iPhone is doing some CPU intensive functions.
It’s iOS 16. It happened to me after updating my 13 Pro. It stopped charging because the phone was too hot and the battery was draining. I restored, disabled widgets, the new lockscreen and the photos showcase option and now it’s almost back to normal

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
It’s iOS 16. It happened to me after updating my 13 Pro. It stopped charging because the phone was too hot and the battery was draining. I restored, disabled widgets, the new lockscreen and the photos showcase option and now it’s almost back to normal

‘I went through the whole process of moving data from the 13PM to my new 14PM while charging and my phone barely got warm.

SuperKRad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
They are mostly Anker chargers. One is definitely not a fast charger. It got hot in about 20 minutes. I am using the same brand and style case as my 13 Pro, a Smartish slim case.

ACE_350

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2013
Mine got pretty hot too. Not enough to stop charging, but I felt the heat through my case. I tried not running it on the charger at all. My guess is that it’s day one, and along with indexing everything, it’s probably doing a lot of gelling in the background with software, especially for dynamic island and other new additions. I’m sure it will level out in a few days.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
I charge my 12 PM with a 5w brick with a wireless pad and it does take longer but the phone barely gets warm. I’m not in a rush for a charge so this works for me

James

rogertoh16

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2013
I have the same problem for Pro Max. I reached the apple support, they mention 1st 2 days after the restore, phone might doing some task at the background example photo... so while charging.. so it will be hot.
But my battery is also draining very fast....So I request for a change of device... and they agree to it.

...so I got a replacement 14pm from apple store... and this time round I did restore using iCloud backup... seems to be improving... The phone from hot to warm... and the battery is a lot better

Aug 30, 2022
My 14 Pro gets warm too. Can feel it through the case but it’s not getting too hot. I do believe that the heating problem whilst charging started with iOS16. Maybe they can tweak it.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My 14 Pro gets warm too. Can feel it through the case but it’s not getting too hot. I do believe that the heating problem whilst charging started with iOS16. Maybe they can tweak it.
On that note, my 13 Pro Max has been cool to the touch charging for the last year. iOS 16 I notice it gets really warm while charging now. Interesting.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife’s 14 Pro Max gets so hot from charging it burns the skin. My 13 PM is noticeably warm but not hot.

We both are surprised how hot the 14 PM is. It’s burning. Lol.

glocksocks

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
I experienced the same issue with the 14 pro max. I was shocked how hot it got during setup. I did have it plugged in to a fast charger during setup so messages would fully download from iCloud. I saw the notification that it was running hot and needed to cool down before charging resumed. When it cooled down, it was stuck on around 76% for over an hour and still wouldn't charge which was very concerning. I left it on charger and went to bed. The next morning it had charged to 100% but decided to activate my old phone and called at&t for a new device. I was uneasy with a brand new device acting this way. My wife received the 14 pro. I activated it for her last night via direct transfer. It was warm but not alarmingly so like mine. AT&T said I'll get my new device early October and we'll see if the new one has any issues.

SuperKRad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
I experienced the same issue with the 14 pro max. I was shocked how hot it got during setup. I did have it plugged in to a fast charger during setup so messages would fully download from iCloud. I saw the notification that it was running hot and needed to cool down before charging resumed. When it cooled down, it was stuck on around 76% for over an hour and still wouldn't charge which was very concerning. I left it on charger and went to bed. The next morning it had charged to 100% but decided to activate my old phone and called at&t for a new device. I was uneasy with a brand new device acting this way. My wife received the 14 pro. I activated it for her last night via direct transfer. It was warm but not alarmingly so like mine. AT&T said I'll get my new device early October and we'll see if the new one has any issues.
Thanks, has your device continued to run hot since the first charge?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife left her 14PM on a charger all night. Woke up to a 100% phone that was cool. Will report if we see any problems today.

Reactions: glocksocks

tgw1031

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
I got the iPhone 14 pro two days ago. It has been warm, too hot all the time. Just spoke to apple support. They recommended charging the phone and going 24-48 hours with it to see if it is still running hot. After that I will need to exchange it.

azizjaffree

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
Same Problem with my 14 Pro Max too. I tried using first with apple 20W charger it was hot, I used Anker 20W charger my friend uses still was heating finally i used 18W Iphone 11 charger it was heating as usuall. I used old USB A 10W adaptor it was fine wasnt heating. I dont think so they can fix this using a software update 😂

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I did set up my iPhone 14 Pro Max together with 3 friends who also got the same iPhone on the same day (yes, we do launch day parties, don't judge 😂).

When restoring from device to device (direct transfer), initially the iPhones were not so warm, but got *really* hot when downloading all the apps after the restore was completed. They all stopped charging for a while. So I assume it's normal behavior during a restore.

pnw360

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
14 Pro Max 1TB Gold, setup last Friday (today is Wednesday) via icloud backup. Phone gets very hot, frequently. Charging using mag safe or 5w 10w 20w apple chargers all cause same effect. Also, just browsing photos or surfing the web the phone gets incredibly hot and battery drains very fast. Charged to 100% and was at 71% in less than 1hr. I haven't seen the shutdown error for overheating yet. Running 16.1 beta with no case.

12 Pro Max also on 16.1 beta and cool as a cucumber. Even charging it stays pretty cool. A bit worried there is something wrong with the hardware on the new 14s.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.