Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sadeyedpez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2022
A brand new iPhone 14 Pro, continuously updated to the latest iOS, keeps disconnecting and reconnecting when using a third-party USB-A cable + official Apple charger. Chargers are both 5V and 12W and work for all other iPhones and iPads we have in the household (iPhone 6s, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad 8, etc). Tried with two non-Apple, MFI-certified cables (Amazon Basics braided). Below I'll post what works and what doesn't

AB USB-A + Apple charger + iPhone 14 Pro = keeps reconnecting
Apple USB-A + Apple charger + iPhone 14 Pro = works
AB USB-A + Apple charger + iPhone 13 Pro = works
Apple USB-C + Apple charger + iPhone 14 Pro = works

I actually want to buy Anker's USB-C cable because I want a 10ft one, but I'm worried that it might have the same issue.

Lint is obviously not the issue as it's a brand-new phone.

I have not seen people have this issue. Usually, when similar symptoms occur, it's either a faulty cable or a dirty charging port, but the phone obviously charges fine on Apple's official cables.

TheLocNar

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2017
Definitely a bad cable. Monoprice also has good cables. And if/when they break, they have a lifetime warranty. You just need to contact them, send photos, get authorization which may take a few days, but I’ve never had issues with warranty replacements.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
A brand new iPhone 14 Pro, continuously updated to the latest iOS, keeps disconnecting and reconnecting when using a third-party USB-A cable + official Apple charger. Chargers are both 5V and 12W and work for all other iPhones and iPads we have in the household (iPhone 6s, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad 8, etc). Tried with two non-Apple, MFI-certified cables (Amazon Basics braided). Below I'll post what works and what doesn't

I actually want to buy Anker's USB-C cable because I want a 10ft one, but I'm worried that it might have the same issue.

I have not seen people have this issue. Usually, when similar symptoms occur, it's either a faulty cable or a dirty charging port, but the phone obviously charges fine on Apple's official cables.
Amazon Basics cables have a lifetime warranty. Contact Amazon for replacement.

That said, Anker makes excellent cables, and have been my favorite brand for years.

Reactions: max2

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Hi,

bumping an old thread @OP can you describe the disconnect and reconnect? Is it random or continously? Does it happen once in a while after a certain amount of time or percentage?

bkalhor1

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2023
NYC

Definitely not a bad cable. I have multiple cables/chargers i use around my house and office, and the 14 Pro Max disconnects and reconnects on all of them. All are Anker 3rd party USC-C to Lightening cables that worked perfectly fine with my 12 Pro Max. My work iPhone is a 12 Pro and that phone doesn't have any issues connecting to the same cables/chargers used with the 14 Pro Max.

I decided to test my theory that Apple intentionally made minor changes to the 14 Pro line ports so that they only work without a hitch on apple cables. I used an older USB-A to lightening cable and it worked without a hitch!

I even made apple send me a new 14 Pro Max replacement thinking that would solve my issue...no dice! Same issues. This is total BS on Apple's part

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
My 14 Pro connects/disconnects all the freaking time. Just the slightest movement will get it disconnecting/reconnecting a few times. This happens with ALL of my cables. I would normally bring it in, but I really loathe going into an Apple Store. It raises my anxiety level to 11.

zama36

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2007
I'm experiencing the same thing. Been to the Apple Store twice now and they can't reproduce which is annoying as all get out, especially when I get back into my car and the Apple USB cable connected CarPlay cuts in and out. I've woke up to my morning alarm luckily since there was only 5% battery left.

Has any one resolved this issue? Thinking it is a hardware issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.