Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 16 Pro is set to succeed 2023's iPhone 15 Pro, introducing over 25 new features and improvements to Apple's high-end smartphones. With many users adopting two-year upgrade cycles, plenty of iPhone 14 Pro owners will be looking to upgrade to the iPhone 16 Pro later this year, so this guide breaks down every major difference you should be aware of between the two generations based on rumors.

iPhone-14-Pro-vs-16-Pro-Feature-2.jpg

In 2022, Apple unveiled the iPhone 14 Pro as the successor to the popular iPhone 13 Pro, introducing an always-on display, the Dynamic Island, a 48-megapixel camera, the A16 Bionic chip, longer battery life, and more. Two years later, the iPhone 16 Pro is expected to offer over 50 upgrades. All of the changes the iPhone 16 Pro models are expected to feature compared to their 2022 predecessor are listed below, using information from reliable sources that we have previously covered. We will update this article as more rumors emerge in the coming months.

Design

The design of the iPhone 16 Pro is expected to be a relatively significant evolution over the iPhone 14 Pro, iterating on the titanium frame and slightly rounded edges introduced on the iPhone 15 Pro models last year.

iPhone 14 ProiPhone 16 Pro
Surgical-grade stainless steel chassis with squared-off edgesAerospace-grade titanium chassis with contoured edges
Ring/Silent switchAction button
Thermal design with copper heatsink and black foil battery casingNew thermal design with graphene heatsink and metal battery casing
More repairable design
Lightning portUSB-C port
Space Black, Silver, Gold, and Deep Purple color optionsBlack Titanium/Space Black, White Titanium, Desert Titanium, Titanium Gray, and potentially Rose Gold color options

Dimensions

To accommodate larger displays, both iPhone 16 Pro models are rumored to grow in height and width. In addition to last year's increase in depth, the devices are due to be considerably larger, but with a notable reduction in weight thanks to the adoption of a titanium frame.

7.85mm depth8.25mm depth (0.4mm thicker)
iPhone 14 Pro: 147.5mm height
iPhone 14 Pro Max: 160.7mm height
iPhone 16 Pro: 149.6mm height
iPhone 16 Pro Max: 163.0mm height
iPhone 14 Pro: 71.5mm width
iPhone 14 Pro Max: 77.6mm width
iPhone 16 Pro: 71.45mm width
iPhone 16 Pro Max: 77.58mm width
iPhone 14 Pro: 206g weight
iPhone 14 Pro Max: 240g weight
iPhone 16 Pro: 194g weight
iPhone 16 Pro Max: 225g weight

Displays

Both iPhone 16 Pro models are expected to feature larger displays than their predecessors, pushing the iPhone 16 Pro Max to be the biggest iPhone ever offered. There are also reportedly improvements to the underlying OLED technology in store, in addition to last year's slimmer bezels, making for a noticeable overall display upgrade.

6.1- or 6.7-inch display6.3- or 6.9-inch display
Slimmer borders around the display
More efficient OLED display with brighter micro-lens technology

Performance

The iPhone 16 Pro models are rumored to bring notable improvements in processing power, including a 3nm Apple silicon chip and 33% more memory.

A16 Bionic chip (TSMC's "N4P" 5nm process)A18 Pro chip (TSMC's "N3E" enhanced 3nm process)
16-core Neural EngineEnhanced neural Engine with "significantly" more cores to support new AI features
Dedicated AV1 decoder
6GB memory8GB memory

Connectivity

Connectivity is also due to get a significant upgrade on the iPhone 16 Pro, bolstering the device's 5G, Wi-Fi, Thread, and Ultra Wideband specifications.

Snapdragon X65 5G modemSnapdragon X75 5G modem
Wi‑Fi 6 connectivityWi‑Fi 7 connectivity
Thread networking technology
First-generation Ultra Wideband chipSecond-generation Ultra Wideband chip (connects from 3x further away)
Precision Finding for Find My friends

Cameras

The iPhone 16 Pro models are slated to receive a range of substantial camera enhancements, such as a larger main camera sensor, a 48-megapixel sensor on the ultra wide camera, and a dedicated hardware button for photography and videography on the side of the device... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: iPhone 14 Pro vs. iPhone 16 Pro: 50+ Upgrades to Expect

Last edited:

brooklyn275

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
Photographer here. Damn it apple stop with the 120mm lens and give us usable focal lengths
13mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, and 120mm is an insane hole in the most needed focal lengths. 13, 24,35, 50 ,75 would be so much better. 120 is too long for hand holding video. and not a normal need,

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I’m the curmudgeon on this. They will likely introduce nothing that will be of any real interest to the vast majority of users. More likely a bunch of pointless features hardly anyone will use. Add in that many people can barely use the basic functions they already have.

Making calls, email, messaging, camera, storing photos, access internet, maybe some games, shopping and maybe banking apps, some music playing and maybe airdrop. For many if not most the rest is unnecessary complication—a million things they will never use.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
So here is a question a camera expert or two can perhaps answer. Why can’t there be 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 optical zoom? Why go from 2 to 5? For some videos I make, 3 is a really good zoom. Going from 2 to 5 would be too close.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
I am still rocking the iPhone 12 Pro which is the first iPhone I have kept for more than 2 years dating back to the iPhone 3G. Hopefully the iPhone 16 pro is compelling enough to upgrade or I will just ride it out until iPhone 17. The overall differences to date compared to the iPhone 12 Pro are not significant enough for how I use my iPhone on a day to day basis.

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
For about a decade, cellphones just kept getting smaller and smaller, until the keys got impossible to type on. Then came the touchscreen phones, and the shrinking trend reversed. Now it seems evey generation of every phone, iOS, Android or whatever, has to be larger than the last.

What I'm waiting for is the SE that is rumored to debut in 2025, to replace the 2020 SE I have now. As an avid bicyclist, I need a phone small enough to fit sideways in one of my jersey's back pockets. That way, it doesn't fall out when hitting a bump or other surface imperfection. Best case, it lands on a soft surface and isn't damaged. Bad case, hits pavement and breaks. Worst case, you don't notice it fell out, and the wrong person finds it.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
For about a decade, cellphones just kept getting smaller and smaller, until the keys got impossible to type on. Then came the touchscreen phones, and the shrinking trend reversed. Now it seems evey generation of every phone, iOS, Android or whatever, has to be larger than the last.

What I'm waiting for is the SE that is rumored to debut in 2025, to replace the 2020 SE I have now. As an avid bicyclist, I need a phone small enough to fit sideways in one of my jersey's back pockets. That way, it doesn't fall out when hitting a bump or other surface imperfection. Best case, it lands on a soft surface and isn't damaged. Bad case, hits pavement and breaks. Worst case, you don't notice it fell out, and the wrong person finds it.
Seems like an Apple Watch with cellular might be your best option, or any smaller iPhone with Apple care and theft protection, that would cover all of your needs.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
And still that atrocious island glaring at me like the angry eye of Sauron (hey has anyone made that app yet?) and blocking my view. Well maybe I can finally customize my homescreen...

JHBrown

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Southern California
“With many users adopting two-year upgrade cycles, plenty of iPhone 14 Pro owners will be looking to upgrade to the iPhone 16 Pro later this year…”

I stopped doing this nonsense many years ago, after doing yearly upgrade cycles. Wife, and I, upgraded from the iPhone 8 Plus, to the 14 Pro Max. We expect to use these phones for a few years. Even the two year “upgrades” aren't impactful enough anymore.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on 15 Pro now or wait for 16. Currently using an iPhone XR o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
You’ve waited this long. You might as well wait another 6 months and get the 16, if only for the longer zoom range and potentially better AI performance. That XR was a workhorse computer. I suspect it will last at least until this fall.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
So here is a question a camera expert or two can perhaps answer. Why can’t there be 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 optical zoom? Why go from 2 to 5? For some videos I make, 3 is a really good zoom. Going from 2 to 5 would be too close.
On the 15, you have 3 cameras, each with a specific telephoto distance (Called zoom).

Wide angle - 0.5
Normal - 1.0 with a 2.0 crop of the 48mp sensor.
Telephoto - 3.0 on the Pro, 5.0 on the Max.

The camera UI has presets at those zoom-levels but you can still manually zoom to in between levels. 0.5, 1, 3/5 are the native, optical zoom-levels. The rest are crops from those, including the 2 that is often mentioned.

The same will likely be true for the 16 pro. You’ll be able to select 3x but it will not be an optical zoom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.