Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
hi all, I would like to buy an iphone 14 pro but I'm undecided on which color to choose for a simple reason, the steel edges.
since I am very attentive to details, taking a phone that gets damaged over time showing micro scratches or even the paint that comes off would not be a big deal for me, doing my research I noticed that the gold color is the one that resists better both micro-scratches and loss of colour, on the other hand the silver one will never lose color since it doesn't have it, however it is also true that scratches are immediately noticeable.
Can someone who has gold confirm this for me? Thanks in advance

Guity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
if there is someone who owns a gold iphone 13/14 pro after months, could tell me the conditions on the sides

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
This is kinda why I preferred the curved sides of the iphone 11 pro to the flat sides of the pros since then. Not only did it scratch less, but it was easier to hold

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
In most cases, it will always be Silver. It does not matter if it attracts scratches or not. You can use those cape cods to buff them out. With Gold, Space Black and Deep Purple, they are coated with PVD and therefore you cannot buff scratches out. Plus it would look ugly if you did.

I've had Pacific Blue, Sierra Blue and now Space Black and of all those years I have owned those, they were always in the case and occasionally cleaned. Yet I did not have any scratches on the sides.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
All colors are equally durable against scratches and scuffs (not at all), but more grayscale colors tend to hide them better.

Guity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
I heard the gold color is made from a different process than this year's colors and therefore more durable.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Since the iPhone 12 PM to the current iPhone 14 PM only micro marring was around the charging port, it only takes a slight miss hit and the lightening connector marks the frame. Wish the tip of the lightning connector was hard plastic.

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Seems like gold has been the more durable finish for a few years now...

“the new gold uses a special [...] process that lays down the coating in a super dense pattern, allowing it to be tough and super bright with a molecular structure that mimics the stainless steel underneath — making it more durable”

Guity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020

“the new gold uses a special [...] process that lays down the coating in a super dense pattern, allowing it to be tough and super bright with a molecular structure that mimics the stainless steel underneath — making it more durable”
I think this is the best option for people like me with ocd, silver is buffable of but attract Tons of scratches

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010

“the new gold uses a special [...] process that lays down the coating in a super dense pattern, allowing it to be tough and super bright with a molecular structure that mimics the stainless steel underneath — ma
But i dont want polish it every 2 month
Its not like the gold has some Magic anti scratch resistant. Buy a case or the normal 14

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
I think this is the best option for people like me with ocd, silver is buffable of but attract Tons of scratches
Personally I have OCD too and got the gold two years ago due to it being mentioned in that article, but it still attracted a bunch of scratches

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Its not like the gold has some Magic anti scratch resistant. Buy a case or the normal 14
Well, no, it never made that big of a difference. If anything, the gold is more resistant to smudges/etc. but it’s stainless steel so still a fingerprint and scratch magnet no matter what.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
if there is someone who owns a gold iphone 13/14 pro after months, could tell me the conditions on the sides
I have the gold… the sides are still perfect. I also change my case often, sometimes a few times a day & still no scratches.I use the Mothca anti-glare screen protector because the default iPhone glass scratches very easily. It’s probably the Ceramic Shield coating that scratches. The Gold is an ice color, plus it blends well with most cases. Black iPhones only look best with black cases, I don’t like black all over iPhone, it’s depressing. I like color. Anyway, the sides of the gold are holding up very well.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I have the Gold 14 Pro 512 GB. I ordered black 256GB and paid for it online but when I went to pick it up they were gone. All they had was Gold 512GB and they gave me it for the price of the 256GB.

All that said I use my phone completely naked and I have to say the stainless steel sides have no gotten 1 scratch. It fell on ceramic tile on the sides… no dent no scratch. Idk if it’s me getting lucky or if gold is that much more durable, but this is my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.