Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I suppose this means we’re going to have that black spot / notch on the top of our screens for a long time, it would be dumb to invent something new and then get rid of it with the next generation of iPhone:confused:

Reactions: SFjohn

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
What I really want to know is if there will be an Apple Watch-style red dot up there when you have new pending notifications?

Combined with the AOD, this would actually be perfect. You don’t want your notifications visible when your screen is always on, so instead just have a red dot visible in the dynamic island.

Reactions: compwiz1202

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
I suppose this means we’re going to have that black spot / notch on the top of our screens for a long time, it would be dumb to invent something new and then get rid of it with the next generation of iPhone:confused:
At least 4 years? The notch in 2018, pill in 2022, what will 2026 bring...

• Sad
Reactions: JosephAW

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I haven't really been keeping up with the newly announced phones, but what use would anyone have for the tiny bit of display space above the Desert Island?
It’s there just to maintain a separation between the bezel and the dynamic island when it grows in size. If they didn’t push the pill cut out down like this, what you’d end up with is a large black blank spot at the top of the device, which would not look good or give you the sense that the cutout is more than just the spot where the camera sensors are. It’s really a brilliant design implementation that no other device manufacturer has tried to do.

• Love

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Is there a reason this isn’t built into iOS 16 for all notch phones? At least those indicators? Is there really that much more room on the “pill”?
There is no technical reason the notch couldn’t become dynamic, but the issue is graphically it would look bad. You’d end up with a larger black area at the top of the screen. It’s why Apple moved the cutout down from the bezel so you see some contrasting screen area between the dynamic island, especially when it grows in size.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
The 2 coolest features from yesterday were Dynamic Island and Watch Ultra. One we knew everything about, the other a total surprise. I’m shocked that none of the rumors proposed anything like Dynamic Island. Kudos to Apple on that.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
The 2 coolest features from yesterday were Dynamic Island and Watch Ultra. One we knew everything about, the other a total surprise. I’m shocked that none of the rumors proposed anything like Dynamic Island. Kudos to Apple on that.
Maybe there’s still hope for an Apple Watch Pro:rolleyes:

jader201

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Notch is a word, a notch. Haptic Touch, 3D Touch, Force Touch, Retina Display, Deep Fusion, Photonic Engine, Liquid Retina, Ceramic Shield, etc... Are marketing names and for whatever reason they always come capitalised. If apple called the notch something like "Curvy Notch" of course it would be capitalised too
That’s really the point I was making. That Apple somehow turned what’s essentially still dead space at the top of the phone into something to celebrate, simply by marketing it.

If they had called the notch the “Curvy Notch”, this means they were trying to market it as a good thing, instead of what it was: just dead space.

To be clear, the notch didn’t bother me, really. Especially since they didn’t try to market it as something really that great.

Calling the new dead space pill a “Dynamic Island” makes it seem like Apple is trying to pull the wool over our eyes by selling the dead space as a big improvement over the notch — or even worse, something we should love more than not having it there in the first place.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
That’s really the point I was making. That Apple somehow turned what’s essentially still dead space at the top of the phone into something to celebrate, simply by marketing it.

If they had called the notch the “Curvy Notch”, this means they were trying to market it as a good thing, instead of what it was: just dead space.

To be clear, the notch didn’t bother me, really. Especially since they didn’t try to market it as something really that great.

Calling the new dead space pill a “Dynamic Island” makes it seem like Apple is trying to pull the wool over our eyes by selling the dead space as a big improvement over the notch — or even worse, something we should love more than not having it there in the first place.
They’re not trying to pull the wool over our eyes, rather they’re making lemonade from lemons - taking the cutout space and incorporating it into something that would otherwise disrupt other areas of the screen anyway. It’s very effectively creating a dynamic multi-tasking space on-screen and hiding the camera and sensors within that space. Sure, it would be great if they could instead hide the camera and sensors under the screen, but we’ve all seen what kind of photos you get when this is done and that just isn’t acceptable to Apple.

Reactions: Mr. Rod

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
That's a gross exaggeration. It's just a good compromise for something (notch/pill) that Apple thinks they cannot fully remove yet. It's not "genius."
That user is talking from a branding perspective, not a hardware perspective.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
They really knocked this Dynamic Island implementation out of the park. Except for the name, of course.

People will get used to the name eventually. We saw so much ridicule when Apple first rolled out the 3D Touch name on the 6s. After a few years it just became normal for people to say it.

Reactions: iLLUMI and SFjohn

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
What I really want to know is if there will be an Apple Watch-style red dot up there when you have new pending notifications?

Combined with the AOD, this would actually be perfect. You don’t want your notifications visible when your screen is always on, so instead just have a red dot visible in the dynamic island.
And different colors for different apps or people would be cool. At the very least be able to customize the red dot for the notifications you deem most important.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
That's a gross exaggeration. It's just a good compromise for something (notch/pill) that Apple thinks they cannot fully remove yet. It's not "genius."
I disagree. I am missing this on my iPhone 8 as I type this. I wish my phone had it. And soon, it just may.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Cause of the space all around it as opposed to it just being on the edge. It really stands out. It’s like someone smeared some dog crap on the screen. I just wanna wipe it off.

Ask Apple, it’s their video!

But keeping it inside the “pill” is going to make the screen just that much smaller. The pill goes way further into the screen than the notch did. Great usage of that 6.7 inch screen.

This place has surely jumped the shark when the most raved feature is just a hack for a flaw that only iPhones seem to have (do we really need a 3d camera? give me a fingerprint sensor and a full unobstructed screen any day please.. Maybe that can be the iPhone Ultra?) and now this pill seems to just make the problem worse so they come up with this lame hack to cover it up. Ugh.

The answer is put the selfie island at the top and the other islands at the bottom. Rename the whole thing, the dynamic archipelago!

Even giving the iPhone a bit of a chin (like the iMac) instead of a notch, wouldn’t be so bad, if they used that chin to put in a top end speakers and a top end camera maybe. Just stop mutilating the display area.

At least it was better than the alternative name that didn’t cut it, “The Dead Zone”.

I bet you never thought Apple would do something to actually make us miss the Notch!

It’s pretty bad when it makes people ache longingly for the good ole days with the much less obtrusive notch!

I am getting the sense you don't like the dynamic island much.

jader201

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
They’re not trying to pull the wool over our eyes, rather they’re making lemonade from lemons - taking the cutout space and incorporating it into something that would otherwise disrupt other areas of the screen anyway. It’s very effectively creating a dynamic multi-tasking space on-screen and hiding the camera and sensors within that space. Sure, it would be great if they could instead hide the camera and sensors under the screen, but we’ve all seen what kind of photos you get when this is done and that just isn’t acceptable to Apple.
But it feels very short sighted. They’ve been working on trying to get rid of it, only to now double down and build quite a bit of functionality into something that will likely (hopefully) get completely removed.

Even worse, they (and MacRumors) are making this into a main selling point of the 14 (e.g. the only thing that remained a secret).

dogstar

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
I am getting the sense you don't like the dynamic island much.
I don’t really mind Dynamic Island to be honest. Seems like a well implemented feature for what it is, but it seems a bit like putting a wedding dress and lipstick on a frog.

I really can’t believe they double downed on the notch and made it even more intrusive. They seem to actually be embracing it as a feature when I doubt it will be around for more than a generation or two cause we know under display faceid is coming very soon. I don’t think this generation of phone will age well cause the full screen ones are right on its heel according to all the reports out this year.

In summary, I'd say the people that compared this to the touchbar pretty much nailed it.

Last edited:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I’m assuming when you’re watching a video and not in full screen that you cannot see the pill just as you cannot see the notch if your video is not in full screen mode. Once you double tap the video it goes full screen and you can see the notch and you should see the pill then. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.