Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro are among Apple's newest iPhone models and follow the previous year's iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro, but how different are the two latest 6.1-inch iPhone models, and what exactly does a "Pro" device give you?

iPhone-14-vs-iPhone-14-Pro-Feature.jpg

Last year, the biggest differences between the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro were ProMotion, 2GB of memory, three hours of battery life, and rear cameras with different apertures. With iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro, both devices share new features like Emergency SOS via satellite, Crash Detection, Action mode, 6GB of memory, Photonic Engine, and an upgraded 12-megapixel TrueDepth front camera with autofocus, but Apple's "Pro" and non-Pro iPhone models are more different than ever.

Our guide helps to answer the question of how to decide which of these two iPhone models is best for you, and serves as a way to clearly see what additional features and upgrades the iPhone 14 Pro brings to the table.

Key Differences

iPhone 14iPhone 14 Pro
Aerospace-grade aluminum design with glass backSurgical-grade stainless steel design with frosted glass back
ProMotion with adaptive refresh rates up to 120Hz
Always-on display
800 nits max brightness (typical)1,000 nits max brightness (typical)
1,200 nits peak brightness (HDR)1,600 nits peak brightness (HDR) and 2,000 nits peak brightness (outdoor)
"Notch" TrueDepth camera arrayTrueDepth camera array with Dynamic Island
A15 Bionic chipA16 Bionic chip
"Advanced" dual-camera system"Pro" camera system
2x optical zoom range (2x optical zoom out, digital zoom up to 5x)6x optical zoom range (3x optical zoom in, 2x optical zoom out, digital zoom up to 15x)
12-megapixel Main camera with ƒ/1.5 aperture48-megapixel Main camera with ƒ/1.78 aperture
12-megapixel Ultra Wide camera with ƒ/2.4 aperture12-megapixel Ultra Wide camera with ƒ/2.2 aperture
12-megapixel Telephoto camera with ƒ/2.8 aperture
Sensor-shift optical image stabilizationSecond-generation sensor-shift optical image stabilization
True Tone flashAdaptive True Tone flash
LiDAR scanner
Night mode portraits
Macro photography
Apple ProRAW
ProRes video recording up to 4K at 30 fps (1080p at 30 fps for 128GB capacity)
Macro video recording, including slo‑mo and time‑lapse
146.7mm height147.5mm height
7.80mm thickness7.85mm thickness
Weight of 172 gramsWeight of 206 grams
20-hour battery life (during video playback)23-hour battery life (during video playback)
128GB, 256GB, and 512GB storage options128GB, 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB storage options
Available in Blue, Purple, Midnight, Starlight, and PRODUCT(RED)Available in Deep Purple, Space Black, Silver, and Gold
Starts at $799Starts at $999

Final Thoughts

The iPhone 14 Pro offers a large number of upgrades over the standard iPhone 14. With just $200 difference to obtain a brighter display with ProMotion and always-on functionality, the Dynamic Island, the A16 Bionic chip, and a radically different rear camera set up, not to mention longer battery life and a more premium design, many customers will be able to justify getting the iPhone 14 Pro over the iPhone 14. Due to the scale and breadth of the iPhone 14 Pro's improvements and features, customers should actively choose the high-end model in most cases.

It will only be worth getting the iPhone 14 over the iPhone 14 Pro if you want a lighter device, do not care for the "Pro" rear camera setup or features like ProMotion and the always-on display, or cannot afford the $200 to upgrade to the high-end model. In this instance, you will still benefit from shared features like Emergency SOS via satellite. The iPhone 14 is still a well-rounded device, especially for customers coming from a much older model.

Article Link: iPhone 14 vs. iPhone 14 Pro Buyer's Guide

Last edited:

Codpeace

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
NYC
The iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro are among Apple's latest iPhone models[...]
I'm sorry, what are the other models among which these are the latest? There are the latest and not the latest when the devices are introduced as a group on a specific date purposefully to distinguish them from previous models.

Nitpicky, I know, but this is just lazy writing. There has been a lot of it lately and it's a pretty sure sign of general fatigue and malaise at a publication.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
This is probably the first time the gap between Pro and non-Pro is really huge despite the same price difference as last year. The completely different SoC generation, pro-motion, dynamic island, 48MP camera. For those that have the budget, might as well go Pro (as Apple intended), unless there's specific things you're looking for (eg lighter weight, color option like red).

Codpeace

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
NYC
To me, I'm very concerned with the use of last year's chip in the non-Pro iPhone 14. That makes me think it won't be supported as long in new iOS releases, making it necessary to replace it earlier and calling into question how much money you actually save by getting it.
This is a reasonable, rational concern. But, to Apple's credit, they support their devices for many years. For example, iOS 16 is supported all the way back to iPhone 8, released in 2017. That's pretty darned solid.

It's likely the 14/Plus will be supported for 5+ years. That's a long time to keep a phone...

Luna Murasaki

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
Purple Hell
This is a reasonable, rational concern. But, to Apple's credit, they support their devices for many years. For example, iOS 16 is supported all the way back to iPhone 8, released in 2017. That's pretty darned solid.

It's likely the 14/Plus will be supported for 5+ years. That's a long time to keep a phone...

Well, we've been looking at our budget here at our household and we are trying to save money where we can. We were upgrading our phones every 4 years but want to move to a 6-year cycle instead. We can't be the only ones thinking of this. These things are expensive and if it still works well, can still get the latest iOS with the latest security patches, and can still run the latest apps, and you aren't a tech enthusiast or someone with shallow friends, it doesn't seem a huge sacrifice to keep the device longer, especially with how mature the iPhone's feature set is at this point. This also applies to people on a hand-me-down system with a relative which is part of what we are doing. So I think the concern is more relevant than it seems at first glance.

If you do the math by calculating the price of each device per year of support rather than the total price, having one less year of support for the non-Pro shrinks the already small price gap between the two phones considerably. And with how badly they differ this year in terms of specs, it's looking like the non-Pro is a rip-off to me. I agree it greatly depends on the person though, and this is of course assuming they actually WILL get 1 year less of support, which we don't and can't actually know.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The regular 14 is a good device in its own right, but just too expensive and not worth it IMO if one already has an iPhone with an A15 chip (13, 13 Mini and SE3). If they had at least put in a 90 hz refresh rate display, then its value proposition would be a lot higher.

Reactions: TMax and arkitect

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
14 Regular, 14 Plus, 14 Pro, 14 Pro Max… this is getting silly and out of hand. 🙈 👎🏼

CP's grammatical point was understandable given that the article didn't mention the other models.

It's written as if there were the only two models. Unless one delves into it — and the morass of details — one can't readily figure out what Apple's offering or what their differences are. Hope MR follows up and covers all four models… if that's how many there actually are. What about the 13 mini, which is still being sold?

Apple's labeling is just silly and has been roundly and properly mocked here and elsewhere. It's similar to fast food joints and theaters offering so-called Large, Jumbo, and Super-Size drinks and snacks to gloss over the reality that these are actually tiny, small, and medium. Although in the case of the iPhones, it's two Bigs and two Gigantically Awkwards — and handing over all your cash and credit cards to get them! 😎

By the way, the comparative table is hard to use and adds to the confusion as key differences aren't aligned — e.g., brightness, zoom, etc. One has to hunt up and down the chart to find the comparable elements!

Plus, the elephant in the room is still being ignored!

What about PWM, flickering, eye strain, and headaches?

How do they differ among the models?

phillypharm

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
Still on my XR and was debating getting the 14 Pro since it looks like the Apple Store near me has plenty in stock for same day delivery, but this phone still just works. So I’ll hold out for at least a USB-C iPhone.

You're So Right Carl

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
Still on my XR and was debating getting the 14 Pro since it looks like the Apple Store near me has plenty in stock for same day delivery, but this phone still just works. So I’ll hold out for at least a USB-C iPhone.
XS user here. I'm picking up what you're putting down.

Plus, my gal still uses an 8 Max. She's winning this war of attrition!

phillypharm

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
XS user here. I'm picking up what you're putting down.

Plus, my gal still uses an 8 Max. She's winning this war of attrition!
Nice! Honestly if there was a Pro Mini I’d jump on it. Only reason I have my XR is that I had a 16gb original SE and got tired of deleting stuff. Otherwise, I’d prob have a 12 or 13 Mini now, but doesn’t make enough sense to even go there now. I think a 5-6 year phone window is great, especially since I buy full retail.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
To me, I'm very concerned with the use of last year's chip in the non-Pro iPhone 14. That makes me think it won't be supported as long in new iOS releases, making it necessary to replace it earlier and calling into question how much money you actually save by getting it.
I don't know, but we're talking about just just last year's chip which was used in the iPhone 13 line. I wouldn't worry about whether this means less longevity. It's really negligible.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
14 Regular, 14 Plus, 14 Pro, 14 Pro Max… this is getting silly and out of hand. 🙈 👎🏼

[...]

Apple's labeling is just silly and has been roundly and properly mocked here and elsewhere. It's similar to fast [...]

Don't forget we still have the following labels to use: Super, Super Duper, Magnificent, Supreme, Emperor, God, etc. LOL.

phillypharm

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
I don't know, but we're talking about just just last year's chip which was used in the iPhone 13 line. I wouldn't worry about whether this means less longevity. It's really negligible.
Not to mention there's a specific reason why Apple compared the A16 to the A13. Yes, other chips from other makers are slower, but it's also because the boost in performance over the A15 isn't that big so they wanted to brush over the difference by comparing it to the A13 and competition instead. Simple focus shift that works for many people. I'm sure the 14 will get the standard 6+ years of support.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
Well, we've been looking at our budget here at our household and we are trying to save money where we can. We were upgrading our phones every 4 years but want to move to a 6-year cycle instead. We can't be the only ones thinking of this. These things are expensive and if it still works well, can still get the latest iOS with the latest security patches, and can still run the latest apps, and you aren't a tech enthusiast or someone with shallow friends, it doesn't seem a huge sacrifice to keep the device longer, especially with how mature the iPhone's feature set is at this point. This also applies to people on a hand-me-down system with a relative which is part of what we are doing. So I think the concern is more relevant than it seems at first glance.

If you do the math by calculating the price of each device per year of support rather than the total price, having one less year of support for the non-Pro shrinks the already small price gap between the two phones considerably. And with how badly they differ this year in terms of specs, it's looking like the non-Pro is a rip-off to me. I agree it greatly depends on the person though, and this is of course assuming they actually WILL get 1 year less of support, which we don't and can't actually know.
My thoughts exactly. Instead of a new phone every year Apple should do 2 year replacements. My first iphone (Gen 1) I kept till the 4 came out. Then I got on the every year replace mindset. What a waste of money. I currently have the 13Pro Max. I want to keep it a while. I spent 1400 on it. It should last 4-5 years with good treatment. Just like my MBA M1. 6-7 years I hope.

Reactions: Luna Murasaki

KBallweg

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2022
The a15 in the iPhone 14 is from last year's pro line and not the same one as the non-pro 13. And it's more than $200 difference it's $200 plus the tax differential in the two. Personally I'm fine with upgrading my XS to the 14. Seriously considered the 13 pro, but settled on the 14 as best personal option.

Guipel

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2023

I have the same way of thinking yet reach a different conclusion … I have the entire ecosystem : mbp, ipad pro, watch, phone… but I did build the equipment over 10 years… and nothing is brand new by now. And it just works extraordinarily well together. A Apple computer should last 10 years, a tablet 8, a phone and watch at least 6. These are high end products and the quality you buy brings you value on the long term : it just lasts!

I am now leaving my company & I need to give back my phone - currently using the 11 - and the upgrade 11>14 looks already very good. I honestly fail to see the reason to pay extra for the pro… 120Hz… to read emails, news & watch Netflix? Well… the island? Looks nice on idea but execution is poor frankly… tThe camera looks like the only valid point. Worth the extra € though?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.