Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 15 series at an event on Tuesday, September 12, and camera upgrades across the devices will be the "star of the show," according to a report today from Taiwanese research firm TrendForce. The upgrades are said to be a "pivotal factor" that "could tip the scales for potential buyers."

iPhone-15-Blue-Three-Quarters-Perspective-Camera-Closeup-Feature.jpg

As previously rumored, TrendForce said both the standard iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus will be equipped with a stacked camera sensor supplied by Sony. Previous reports have indicated that this sensor will be able to capture more light, and the research firm said this will allow for improved dynamic range in photos.

TrendForce also corroborated rumors that the iPhone 15 Pro Max will be equipped with a periscope telephoto lens that boosts the device's optical zoom capabilities. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo previously said the lens will allow for up to 5x or 6x optical zoom, compared to the current 3x limit on the iPhone 14 Pro models.

Last, the research firm said all four iPhone 15 models will be equipped with a USB-C port and the Dynamic Island, as widely rumored. Replacing the notch on the iPhone 14 Pro models last year, the Dynamic Island surrounds the front camera and Face ID sensors, and it shows information such as system alerts and Live Activities.

Additional features are expected for the Pro models, including a lighter-weight titanium frame, customizable Action button, A17 Bionic chip, Wi-Fi 6E support, and more. For more details, read our in-depth iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro roundups.

Article Link: iPhone 15 Camera Upgrades Will Be 'Star of the Show' at Apple Event

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
The Sony camera by itself alone is not the selling point.
The software integration is.
This is speaking from the experience of someone who have a Xperia 1 V now.
Apple makes the best use of the camera hardware by simplifying the picture capture to make it a point and shoot.
The Sony's UI makes it like a bloody professional camera with all the adjustment and the basic mode is sadly needing work.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Honestly, yawn. Last year I upgraded from a Xs to a 14 Pro (carrier trade-in), and I actually regretted it, and still do. I should have just replaced the battery and saved my money until the Xs was unsupported.
Or you could make money doing upgrades other year. Sell your two year old phone for $4-500, buy a $100 phone and use that to trade in for the “free with bill credits” phone for another 2 years.

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2020
Im in for 5 upgrades either ultra or max whichever is the highest end. Every year same thing. Can’t wait for Vision Pro!

Last edited:

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
When are they not?

I know I’m in the minority, but in my opinion the cameras in iPhones are well past good enough. At this point I would be more impressed with a shrinking of the camera tumor than another size increase accompanied by software over processing.
Couldn’t agree more. Unfortunately, (for a lot of us here anyways), that’s what sells to the general public.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.