Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xrayboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA
Got a new iPhone 15 Pro 9/22. Restored from iCloud backup. Everything worked fine on day 1. Today, got a popup message saying "Apple Pay Issue". Cannot access anything in my wallet anymore: Apple Cash, Apple Card, Car digital key, credit cards. Won't let me add them back either. Did an iOS 17.0.2 reinstall tethered to MacBook Pro, didn't fix. Did a factory restore, didn't work. Looks like I'll be going to the Genius Bar for a swap. Anyone else seeing this issue?

Last edited:

Reviewsmaker

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
Coral Springs, Florida
Strange behavior, post-update the device should ask you for the CCVs (security digits) for each card in the wallet to confirm re-adding it; I would check your other Apple devices first to make sure your wallet is active and the cards appear there; on your phone tap on Settings -> Wallet & Apple Pay and check whether you see a "Previous Cards" button which reinitiates the adding of the cards in your wallet; if that fails I would download the Apple Support app and tap troubleshooting -> Apple Wallet / Apple Pay and go through the motions until you get to SMS a CSR if it gets to that point.

MacObserver put up a good article on restoring Apple Wallets; I recommend checking it out @ https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/cant-add-a-card-to-apple-wallet-heres-how-to-verify-it/

xrayboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA
I did that on initial setup. like I said worked fine yesterday. now just keep getting the error.

IMG_5041.png
IMG_0001.jpeg

Last edited:

Reviewsmaker

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
Coral Springs, Florida
Have you attempted to sign out of iCloud (your Apple ID) and back in? That is another way to retrigger the mechanism which searches what cards are associated with the account holder.

xrayboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA
Have you attempted to sign out of iCloud (your Apple ID) and back in? That is another way to retrigger the mechanism which searches what cards are associated with the account holder.
not specifically, but I did a complete factory restore and it still doesn't work. any time I try to do anything in Apple Wallet or the Apple Pay settings I get an error.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
not specifically, but I did a complete factory restore and it still doesn't work. any time I try to do anything in Apple Wallet or the Apple Pay settings I get an error.
If you did a restore and it doesn’t work, it’s time to reach out to Apple for assistance as it may be a hardware issue than a software.

Reactions: Ntombi and xrayboy

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I happened to re-add the card as fresh rather than going from 'Previous Cards' and it worked.

Reviewsmaker

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
Coral Springs, Florida
Aye if you feel you've tried it all, download the support app from Apple and begin troubleshooting there; the diagnostics it runs may shed some light on a solution; else you'll chat with a CSR and let them help you figure it out. Anomalies happen; when all fails, contact support.

John83762

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
Update—swapped for new phone at Apple Store. They believe NFC module was bad.
Did you experience any issues with the replacement device? I experienced the same issue and now experienced it with the replacement phone. Both times, it occurred after wireless charging in my car.

gsellis21

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
Did you experience any issues with the replacement device? I experienced the same issue and now experienced it with the replacement phone. Both times, it occurred after wireless charging in my car.
I also just experienced this issue. Was wireless charging in my vehicle for 25 minutes and error appeared as soon as I picked it up. Scheduled a service appointment for Friday. To be continued…

John83762

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
I also just experienced this issue. Was wireless charging in my vehicle for 25 minutes and error appeared as soon as I picked it up. Scheduled a service appointment for Friday. To be continued…
I received a replacement. Same thing happened again and the phone kept randomly going into restore mode for, each time for 90+ minutes. I returned the 15 pro today and am back to my 14 pro, which doesn’t have any of the issues despite being used with the same wireless chargers, cars, and similar phone case.

gsellis21

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
I received a replacement. Same thing happened again and the phone kept randomly going into restore mode for, each time for 90+ minutes. I returned the 15 pro today and am back to my 14 pro, which doesn’t have any of the issues despite being used with the same wireless chargers, cars, and similar phone case.
Sorry to hear that. My phone also went into ”data recovery” mode, then was restoring for about 10 minutes or so. Everything else except for Apple Pay is working. Hopefully, they figure out a resolution soon.

Note for readers: the model I currently have is the iPhone 15 Pro Max 1TB in natural titanium.

Last edited:

Jnapoli

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2023
I don’t have a resolution, but I am experiencing the same issue. Apple Pay is completely unresponsive in my device.

I got an iPhone 15 pro on 9/22 and it happened over that same weekend. Contacted apple support and they determined the Apple Pay unit was completely unresponsive. Just got a replacement unit last night, and on my new device this morning I am beginning to see the same issue. :/

I wish I had seen the car charging comment others have posted here. Definitely feel like that may be relevant for me too as I noticed an Apple Pay issue this morning after commuting to work, and I was wireless charging in my car.

John83762

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
I don’t have a resolution, but I am experiencing the same issue. Apple Pay is completely unresponsive in my device.

I got an iPhone 15 pro on 9/22 and it happened over that same weekend. Contacted apple support and they determined the Apple Pay unit was completely unresponsive. Just got a replacement unit last night, and on my new device this morning I am beginning to see the same issue. :/

I wish I had seen the car charging comment others have posted here. Definitely feel like that may be relevant for me too as I noticed an Apple Pay issue this morning after commuting to work, and I was wireless charging in my car.
What kind of car are you charging it in? I have a bmw and the charger tray also doubles as the nfc reader for the Apple car key feature. Curious if the nfc is somehow turning on in the phone at the same time the wireless charger is on and zapping the Apple Pay chip? Presumably, there’s an auto shutoff feature in the phone that prevents nfc from turning on automatically but perhaps that’s malfunctioning. I don’t have that issue with my 14 pro, which I am back to using.

Jnapoli

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2023
What kind of car are you charging it in? I have a bmw and the charger tray also doubles as the nfc reader for the Apple car key feature. Curious if the nfc is somehow turning on in the phone at the same time the wireless charger is on and zapping the Apple Pay chip? Presumably, there’s an auto shutoff feature in the phone that prevents nfc from turning on automatically but perhaps that’s malfunctioning. I don’t have that issue with my 14 pro, which I am back to using.
I also have a BMW. The correlation between car charging and the issue was in no way clear to me with the first 15 pro, but with this second device/instance it very clearly happened after my morning commute (during which it was in the charging tray). I’ve reported it to Apple support.

Hopefully a factory reboot will fix the issue. We shall see…

John83762

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
I also have a BMW. The correlation between car charging and the issue was in no way clear to me with the first 15 pro, but with this second device/instance it very clearly happened after my morning commute (during which it was in the charging tray). I’ve reported it to Apple support.

Hopefully a factory reboot will fix the issue. We shall see…
It was hardware for me (chip failed). Apple Store couldn’t repair so they replaced. Went through three phones before the correlation became clear. The fact that it works fine with a 14 pro and a 13 suggests it’s something about the new design of the 15 vs the chargers.

Jnapoli

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2023
It was hardware for me (chip failed). Apple Store couldn’t repair so they replaced. Went through three phones before the correlation became clear. The fact that it works fine with a 14 pro and a 13 suggests it’s something about the new design of the 15 vs the chargers.
That’s very unfortunate, and if the bmw (possibly other vehicles too) charger is the culprit, I expect they’re about to have many Apple Pay failures to contend with.

This has definitely been the buggiest iPhone launch/transition I’ve experienced.

xrayboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA
That’s very unfortunate, and if the bmw (possibly other vehicles too) charger is the culprit, I expect they’re about to have many Apple Pay failures to contend with.

This has definitely been the buggiest iPhone launch/transition I’ve experienced.
Update. Issue occurred again. I have a BMW….

Reactions: Jnapoli

xrayboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA
Update. Issue occurred again. I have a BMW….
after turning off phone and back on, iPhone automatically goes into recovery mode. I have another service appointment at Apple Store tomorrow and will undoubtedly need another replacement phone. I have a BMW but I drive it to and from work every day with my phone on the charger, and didn't encounter this issue. I also have my digital key in my apple wallet. But both times the Apple Pay issue occurred it was after wireless charging in my BMW X5 on a longer trip than my normal commute. Kudos to this group for identifying the potential link between car charging and the NFC sensor.

John83762

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
after turning off phone and back on, iPhone automatically goes into recovery mode. I have another service appointment at Apple Store tomorrow and will undoubtedly need another replacement phone. I have a BMW but I drive it to and from work every day with my phone on the charger, and didn't encounter this issue. I also have my digital key in my apple wallet. But both times the Apple Pay issue occurred it was after wireless charging in my BMW X5 on a longer trip than my normal commute. Kudos to this group for identifying the potential link between car charging and the NFC sensor.
The recovery and restore protocol happened with me too. I used the key in the Apple wallet on the first phone but didn’t on the second phone because I thought that might be the cause. Same outcome nonetheless, which leads me to believe the issue occurs regardless of whether you have the key in the wallet or not.

On my 14 pro, I wirelessly charge all the time and have the key in my wallet and have not had any issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.