Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've noticed that the iPhone 15 Pro Max is still very laggy.
I bought it on release day and had exchanged it.
The first one had quality control issues and I swapped it.
The second one seemed very good and was able to transfer all my stuff.

I've had the phone for a while now and it's still very laggy when typing and swiping menus.
I keep closing all the apps. Has anyone noticed the same thing?

Adeezah

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
So will a reboot. Maybe he should try that as well lol
For me it happened to every phone I had when a new iOS came up and it got fixed later on.
Like this time as well on my 13P before my 15 PM arrived, as before on my 11. Laggy at first while typing mostly, being fixed after few updates on the iOS.

Reactions: Fantasigraphic

jajo.j

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2023
I noticed a slight lag on my 15 Pro Max during the first day of usage. Then I got 17.0.3 and the lag was gone. Don't know if it was the update or that the phone had to "settle in" for a day while being new.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've restarted my phone and updated to 17.0.3.
I read online that the low power mode causes the lag. I always have that on.
I just turned it off to see if I notice a difference.

jajo.j

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2023
Yeah, that is surely the reason. Low power mode will double your battery life at the expense of performance. It is meant to be used when you know you will be far from charging possibilities and not for daily usage unless you can live with slow notifications and sluggish performance.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

NdTonks

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2021
I downloaded the 17.1 RC2 beta and my 15PM is dramatically faster and lag is all but gone. Update your software tomorrow or when it lands and you will be pleasantly surprised by how smooth it runs now
Edit - oh and the keyboard lag issue is gone now too. Buttery smooth

NdTonks

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2021
I'm going to try the RC2 Beta.
It should be the exact same as what’s released tomorrow. I was hesitant but man, they did a good job. Screen burn - gone. Keyboard lag - gone. General system lag - gone. Battery life - (for me) fantastic. I’m glad I updated it.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I've always turned on low power mode and didn't notice the lag on the 14 PM. :O
Low Power mode did the same thing on my 14 and 15 Pro. Made them feel “laggy” but for me it was due to ProMotion being off when low power mode is enabled. Like I said same result on my 14/15 Pro. Good luck!

Reactions: aParkerMusic

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I've noticed that the iPhone 15 Pro Max is still very laggy.
I bought it on release day and had exchanged it.
The first one had quality control issues and I swapped it.
The second one seemed very good and was able to transfer all my stuff.

I've had the phone for a while now and it's still very laggy when typing and swiping menus.
I keep closing all the apps. Has anyone noticed the same thing?
What did Apple say? Or ar you just trolling? My 15 PM is quicker than my 14 P was.

Reactions: BeerDrinkerDan

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
New phone should not lag.

New iOS should not lag phone.

Low power mode should not lag phone.

Stop making excuses for Apple.

The fact that lag is considered normal by many people is evidence that Apple quality has been so poor that they have reset expectation to below par performance as default.

Either there are issues specific to OP's phone, or this is something that Apple should fix.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
The only time i experience lag on my 13Pro and former phones was when i'm down on 1% battery or low-power mode, especially low-power mode on my 6S when throttling was first launched. But that was ages ago and solved with a new battery. Saying that, Most of my setups has been with Background app refresh "off" and I don't use animated pictures and so on.
Still on 16.7.1 tho.

Might be a case of me not using any of the bigger socialmedia platforms, tikok and so on as well.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
New phone should not lag.

New iOS should not lag phone.

Low power mode should not lag phone.

Stop making excuses for Apple.

The fact that lag is considered normal by many people is evidence that Apple quality has been so poor that they have reset expectation to below par performance as default.

Either there are issues specific to OP's phone, or this is something that Apple should fix.
Its not about excuses its about having basic understanding on why lag might appear.
If you are using low-power mode it comes with a cost, otherwise low-power mode would be "standard" mode.

We are all using phones in our own unique way with different OS versions, different apps and app-versions, different network, different add-ins, different customization, different peripherals etc. All these things can affect performance.

Reactions: boswald
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.