Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joselc23

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2011
I think in order for the iPhone to get the Uktra name, it would need to be waterproof and scratchproof to a certain extent like the Watch ultra.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
I wish they’d quit with the damn numbers. Just call it iPhone, iPhone Plus, iPhone Pro, iPhone Max. They don’t cling to the stupid numbers on the iPads, MacBooks, Apple TV.

This was already a trend a few years ago, and it made it completely impossible to sell and market them. People just started calling everything by the year it came out, so it gets de-facto number anyway, like "iPhone (2023)". Nobody likes this approach.

Reactions: istanbul

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I'm surprised Apple didn't name it "iPhone 15 Ultra" just to justify the $100 price increase. Lol.

They're like f it, y'all still gonna buy if regardless of the name.
When they call it Ultra, the price is going to go up by way more than $100.

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
Yes, it's a 15 Pro. Except it doesn't have the same specs as the slightly bigger Pro. If my 14 Pro didn't have such a miserable battery Apple wouldn't get any money out of me this year. Next year though...new iPhone pro for the cameras.

nab0kov

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2022
I really don't see them doing an "Action Button" on only the Pro Max unless they do the Ultra branding. It's one or the other.

Reactions: GuruZac

mngdew

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2015
California
I'm surprised Apple didn't name it "iPhone 15 Ultra" just to justify the $100 price increase. Lol.

They're like f it, y'all still gonna buy if regardless of the name.
Only $100? I'm expecting iPhone Ultra to have a price tag of $1,999.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
If it's Max, as in maximum, why would we need Pro before it?

Why not just iPhone, iPhone Pro, iPhone Max? Wouldn't that be neater and less of a mouthful?

And if it is Max, as in maximum with no room for more, why would the model above it be Ultra?

And if Ultra is the model above Max, why would it not be Pro Ultra?

And if it is going to just Ultra, then we return to the question, why not just Pro and Max, rather than Pro Max?

Musée_Rodin_1.jpg

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I really don't see them doing an "Action Button" on only the Pro Max unless they do the Ultra branding. It's one or the other.
Good point. The titanium construction, the action button, the periscope camera are all changes that warrant Ultra branding if we go by the Watch Ultra. I hope this year is Ultra branded and does come with the Action button with all of the other rumored features. But recent history with rumors being downright wrong, I’ll wait until Tuesday to see what Apple does.

As a side, if they are in fact bringing out a 6.7” titanium iPhone with Action button, USB-C, and periscope lens, is it possible they do call it Ultra, while leaving the 6.1” iPhone 15 Pro stainless steel frame, no action button, no periscope? Unlikely, I know, but by all indications, Apple looks to be differentiating the product lineup yet again. They did it with using 1 year old chips, delayed design features in the non-Pro iPhones, and there are rumors abuzz about the iPhone Ultra.

Dremmel

macrumors regular
May 25, 2017
I'm waiting for the Super Pro Magic Max Special Ltd Edition. Until then my wallet is safe.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
This is for testing the waters. If the Pro Max keeps selling hotcakes, they introduce an even more ultra expensive one, because the numbers predict bigger sales for Ultra.

tonie walker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
worldwide
…ultra disappointing, if they follow the route for watch ultra this iPhone Ultra will have the ultra bezel because it’s rugged.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
I would only buy an iPhone Ultra if I can clean it with my Apple Polishing Cloth Ultra 😤

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.