Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Set up new 15 Pro Max with 17.02 and restored from encrypted backup. Phone will not pair with existing Apple Watch Ultra nor will it pair to MacBook Pro via bluetooth.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Yeah, this phone upgrade process made it so none of my watches would repair. It looks like I will have to restore these all from back-up. The problem seems to be though that the iphone migration process didn't move the watch backups to the new phone. WTF?

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah, this phone upgrade process made it so none of my watches would repair. It looks like I will have to restore these all from back-up. The problem seems to be though that the iphone migration process didn't move the watch backups to the new phone. WTF?

This migration wasn’t as smooth as past ones

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
This migration wasn’t as smooth as past ones
That is a HUGE understatement in my experience. Watch faces got duplicated and when you move the watch face order on the phone, it doesn't sync to the watch. The issue (that I am having is that the duplicate watchfaces are not on the phone, just the watch. I have spent 2 hours figuring out which faces are one both on the phone and watch, and which are just on the watch.

In my experience today, I'd say the watch migration was a total 💩 💩💩. It's cost me hours of frustrations between my 2 watches.

MM301

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2020
I’ve always had this issue with watch migration. Maybe because the old phone is near and isn’t removing the connection. I resort to resetting the watch.

I will say that resetting an Apple Watch and restoring + re-pairing couldn’t be easier. It doesn’t take much time either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.