Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
So it will have an action button and thinner bezels. And a better feature for the camera only for the Max model. I’m considering going for the standard one this year dropping one camera and having the benefit of usb c. Both these new features are pointless when all iPhones next year will be larger. I don’t see why they want a higher price tag for tiny S updates on the pro especially when a major redesign is coming.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Everything is still a rumor at this point. They said prices would increase last year, but that didn't happen. I'll wait until it's released before I pass judgment.

Smartphones are pretty much plateauing. I don't think we are going to see big updates every year like we used to.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Think of it as an S year.

The majority of the updates happened with the 14 Pro: camera and display form factor. The 15 is getting a minor update to camera and relatively big performance update.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
12 -> 13 was pretty meh. 13 -> 14 changed the notch into an egg.

USB-C, a thinner bezzle, and better camera is like the iPhone 15, 16, and 17, all in one go!
12 pm to 13 pm was great with 120hz and even better battery + signal strength on 4g/5g. But from 13pm to 14pm the only difference is much more details in RAW - wasted update if one doesn’t care + signal is even better.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Upgrading my 6yr old iPhone X to a 15 Pro Max will be a substantial increase in performance and features so no it's not underwhelming. If you are updating from a 14 Pro Max then not so much.
You've been using an X all this time? Wow. Much respect. I wish I had the discipline and intelligence to do this. Any helpful hints to do this for an annual upgrader like myself? :p Very cool.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
You've been using an X all this time? Wow. Much respect. I wish I had the discipline and intelligence to do this. Any helpful hints to do this for an annual upgrader like myself? :p Very cool.
Using SE2 and Iphone 11. What stopped me from wanting the best is chasing the deals.
I can not refuse to use old tech if I bought it for $50-$200 and their trade-in still worth what i paid = basically free phone. It is hard to justify new phone for full price when i have no cost phone albeit older.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The X has been an amazing device and hasn't given me one issue so I guess I'm lucky I had no hardware issues that would justify a replacement. I had Apple replace the battery a year ago and honestly I could probably use it for another year if I wanted. Sure it's starting to show it's age but, performance is quite good on iOS16 and battery life is plenty for me to last all day.. If the Pro Max lasts as long as my X did, I really don't mind the cost. I used to upgrade every 2 years but, when I got the X it just seemed like the next phones (11Pro, 12Pro, ect.) weren't convincingly better than what I had so I decided to wait. Almost purchased a 13 Pro Max because of the sierra blue color (love that grayish/blue)..

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
So it will have an action button and thinner bezels. And a better feature for the camera only for the Max model. I’m considering going for the standard one this year dropping one camera and having the benefit of usb c. Both these new features are pointless when all iPhones next year will be larger. I don’t see why they want a higher price tag for tiny S updates on the pro especially when a major redesign is coming.
Cool. If underwhelmed, then you can stop watching to save time and save money by not upgrading. Others should wait and consider what the iPhone 15 Pro is like after we actually see iPhone 15 Pros...

17fox

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2022
Vienna, Austria
Everything is still a rumor at this point. They said prices would increase last year, but that didn't happen. I'll wait until it's released before I pass judgment.

Smartphones are pretty much plateauing. I don't think we are going to see big updates every year like we used to.
A small remark. Prices didn't increase in the USA, but they did in Europe so that rumour was unfortunately accurate

• Haha
Reactions: JPack

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
A small remark. Prices didn't increase in the USA, but they did in Europe so that rumour was unfortunately accurate
Another small remark. Work with currency at my day job and i see that euro/gbp dropped by the same amount as apple increases in prices with maybe 20-30 bucks extra as a safe net.
Thus, prices were unchanged in terms of the dollars.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Another small remark. Work with currency at my day job and i see that euro/gbp dropped by the same amount as apple increases in prices with maybe 20-30 bucks extra as a safe net.
Thus, prices were unchanged in terms of the dollars.
Oh good I bet the consumers didn't even notice then.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Most of the hardware leaks are out.

Software is another thing, but I hope they don’t lock it down to the iPhone 15 when all the other phones could have it.

You already have an action button on the lock button. Three clicks to a programmable action in accessibility. So now they have another on the other side - yippy. Blackberry had this to the end but nobody at Apple thought it was a great idea - until the keynote this year and then it will be the greatest thing ever!

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
You already have an action button on the lock button. Three clicks to a programmable action in accessibility. So now they have another on the other side - yippy. Blackberry had this to the end but nobody at Apple thought it was a great idea - until the keynote this year and then it will be the greatest thing ever!
We had probably 20 gyro places in our town - and one crazy guy opened the 21st out of a sea shipping box container remodeled for a small cafe. Well they trumped all other 20s and easily sold 3000 gyros a day making a bank for the owner.
Apple is good exactly at this - presenting new stuff that is actually useful instead of having it for the sake of a new feature or being first.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Think of it as an S year.

The majority of the updates happened with the 14 Pro: camera and display form factor. The 15 is getting a minor update to camera and relatively big performance update.
nah last year was very much an S year

the pros this year is said to be the biggest in years. granted that's not saying much as the past 3 years have been very minor upgrades.

16 pro max is said to be getting massive upgrades next year with new sensor for both main and telephoto.

webkit

macrumors 68040
Jan 14, 2021
United States

They did but price rumors are typically tied to U.S. prices. The iPhone 14 launched at a time when the USD was strong versus the € and £. Factoring in the exchange rates, launch prices for the iPhone 14 in Europe were actually around same or even lower (converted to USD) than they were for the iPhone 13.

Because the USD is weaker against the € and £ right now, I imagine that even if there is a price increase of $100 or so in the U.S., prices in Europe will likely be little changed. Time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.