Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
So here we are again, about four months away from the next series of iPhones. This who are using the 15 Pro series, are you guys upgrading? If so, what are some of the features based on rumours are you looking forward to come September this year?

Personally I am not looking to upgrade from my 15 Pro but if battery life is better and the titanium chassis is NOT glossy, I would entertain the idea of getting it. I like the rumoured space grey titanium finish.

• Haha
Reactions: krspkbl

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I have 15 Pro Max and will not be upgrading this year, next year, or the year after. Earliest would be the iPhone 19 with iOS 21.

The 16 doesn't seem to have any features that make me want to buy it and I can't think of any that future features phones will have that will make me upgrade. I'll upgrade when I feel the 15 Pro Max isn't good enough for me anymore. I think it'll easily last me 4-5 years.

The days of me upgrading every year are long over. There is no need to do it unless you have more money than sense or know what to do with.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Hell no, it would be so wasteful to upgrade after only a year!

I upgraded from a launch month 11 Pro Max to my 15 Pro Max. That's four years. The 11PM was still quite usable when I upgraded! I only replaced it because I wanted USB-C and I liked the new Titanium design and 5x camera.

Not to mention, I heard Apple is going to go back to the "shiny" metal sides for the 16 Pro series, which I don't really care for. I LOVE the matte sides on my 15 Pro Max, was so happy Apple finally did that, and now it sounds like they're going back. WHY, Apple? At least I'll have my awesome phone for a few years now.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
It all depends on how good the cameras are. That’s usually what motivates me to upgrade to the next model. As a photographer, I take a lot of iPhone photos.

Reactions: Al Rukh

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
So here we are again, about four months away from the next series of iPhones. This who are using the 15 Pro series, are you guys upgrading? If so, what are some of the features based on rumours are you looking forward to come September this year?

Personally I am not looking to upgrade from my 15 Pro but if battery life is better and the titanium chassis is NOT glossy, I would entertain the idea of getting it. I like the rumoured space grey titanium finish.
My answer to this keeps changing, right now as of 11 May, I say NO! However, I may have an upgrade due around that time, if I feel it is worth it then yeah, I may just take the plunge and trade-in my 15 Pro Max.
I have not seen any rumour from a hardware perspective that points to any significant changes/updates though, but if the screen grows to 6.9inch and there is a significant jump in camera I will consider.
Seems the A18 Pro won’t be that much more powerful (M4 chip vs A17 Pro says a lot).

Overall it seems the iPhone 16 Pro Max will bring more software based improvements, many of which should easily be available to 15 Pro Max to unless Apple decides to software lock stuff. While from the hardware front we will see minimal updates which makes me think the screen size increase may indeed happen.

Last edited:

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
I've upgraded every year since iPhone 4 but I'm pretty set on keeping my 15 Pro and skipping the 16. I updated to the 15 Pro because of the weight reduction, rounded bezel edges and slightly smaller vs the 13 Pro.

I have no interest is a heavier, larger phone if the 16 Pro rumors are true. I still regret upgrading from the 11 Pro to the 12 Pro.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Well, after getting a pro max then returning and going back to a pro because I was afraid I wouldn’t get used to the weight/size, I wound up getting a 15 pro max a few months ago. It took me a bit to really get used to it, but I love it now, and am not interested in going larger nor going back smaller. I have also wanted to get on an alternating phone/watch upgrade system, and with the 10th anniversary of the watch this year, I wanted to be open to upgrade if there were some real changes.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I usually upgrade every year, but I just bought a house recently so probably not this year. I also find the 15 Pro to be the perfect size for me, the battery health is still at 100% and I love the blue titanium.

Dsmith7

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2021
Depends on the improvement to the cameras and if they increase the size like the rumors claim.

AnInanimateCarbonRod

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2017
Not this year. The earliest I'll pull the trigger is next year but even then I think I'd need to see a compelling reason to upgrade. New phones have just become too iterative, lacking blockbuster or headline new capabilities that justifies yearly jumps. It's the natural result of "peak" smartphone - we're down to glass slabs that are all screen, no bezel - there's no real room for improvement besides better cameras and SoCs until the next major innovation comes along.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
It’ll depend on if the larger screen size is usable or not. It’ll obviously be better for viewing content but can I do anything differently with my home screen etc. will be the wild card for me. If it got thinner with the larger display that could be enticing as well.

I’m also appreciating android a little more, so my money may go to a second device vs iPhone upgrade. Got my eye on a fold 6.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
No, I don’t plan to purchase the 16p unless there’s something revolutionary about it and not just a tidbit little increment of nothing. The 15p is perfect until something BETTER comes along.

emeka09

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2023
Seeing that the camera design is going to remain the same, I doubt I’ll be upgrading this year. I’ll wait for the next noticeable design change.

avheatherim

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2023
Considering my update from 13PM to 15PM was MEH... there would have to be some seriously cool tech in the 16PM to get me there. Otherwise I'm waiting. Based on rumors, it's looking like wait.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
I’m on a grandfathered and discounted cellular plan where I can easily upgrade basically every year for cheap so it really is up in the air if I’m going to upgrade from my 15PM to the 16PM

I’m really concerned about the increase in screen size as I find the 15PM to be the max I can use with one hand (The 6.5in XS Max was the perfect size for me. 100% usable with one hand). So a 6.9in taller display is gonna be a point of concern. Really think I’ll have to go to an Apple store to see how it feels.

But then again, I don’t see Apple upgrading the Max to a 6.9in display just to decrease the size in a few years so might as well get used to the new 6.9in size right? No point in worrying if it’s too big or not.

Other than the size, I’m most excited about the potential camera improvements. I love the ultrawide and it getting a larger sensor to help with low light would be amazing.

Maybe we will see some exclusive AI features with the 16 Pros as well? As a Data Scientist any AI developments/features excite me

nikikaly21

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2019
I doubt it now that I've read that there are no major redesign plans. Redesigns are my favorite reason to upgrade and I already had to spend the money to replace my damaged iPhone 14 Pro Max with a 15 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.