Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamdamian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Hey everyone,

I got the new 15 Pro direct from Apple yesterday.

However it won't activate my Lyca eSim.

I also tried in my Partners new 15 Pro Max too, but it still wouldn't activate.

But it did activate on my old iPhone 12 mini.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be? I have tried the apple suggested route of turning on and off airplane mode and restarting the phone but it hasn't worked.

iamdamian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I also had this problem. I resolved it by forcing software updates on both phones and having a lot of patience.
Unfortunately I don’t have the option to do this. I’m already updated to 17.0.2.

When you say forcing software updates what do you mean please?

iamdamian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Yes same problem for me...

There's also more here too-

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lycamobile/comments/16pefnw
Reading the posts it looks like the Iphone 15 Pro has not been added to the Lyca system and there working on it.
Thanks so much. I’ve been onto support so many times about this to Lyca and they never once told me.

I kinda suspected this late last night myself so thanks so much for confirming.

Thanks very much for your input really appreciate.

Reactions: The-Stealth

tarek93

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Yeah I'm on Lyca network too. Failed to activate and had to buy a physical sim from W.H Smith because their website probably flagged my account for ordering an eSIM then trying to order a physical SIM. New eSIM worked on my older iPhone fine. Customer support were clueless and didn't even understand my problem. They said they couldn't send a physical sim through chat/phone as it's only done online by filling a new customer form despite getting "Transaction Error" for the past 2 days trying to order a new physical SIM. Even eSIM orders won't go through anymore. Their website probably think I'm scamming or something using the same name and address repeatedly so flagged me. I'll move networks once their introductory offer expires.

Reactions: Carrotcruncher

iamdamian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Yeah I'm on Lyca network too. Failed to activate and had to buy a physical sim from W.H Smith because their website probably flagged my account for ordering an eSIM then trying to order a physical SIM. New eSIM worked on my older iPhone fine. Customer support were clueless and didn't even understand my problem. They said they couldn't send a physical sim through chat/phone as it's only done online by filling a new customer form despite getting "Transaction Error" for the past 2 days trying to order a new physical SIM. Even eSIM orders won't go through anymore. Their website probably think I'm scamming or something using the same name and address repeatedly so flagged me. I'll move networks once their introductory offer expires.
If you're in the UK, just be mindful that very few operators in the UK support eSims. According to the research I have done anyhow.

iamdamian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Had same issue on upgrading in US ATT network. Same fix - upgrade IOS then setup & transfer
Yeah unfortunately that didn't work for me. iOS 17.0.2 and my eSim with Lyca in the UK won't activate, yet it would on my 12 Mini.

Getting mixed answers from Lyca, some staff say it's being address. Some staff blame Apple hardware.

Apple support tell me they are aware of the issue but won't give out any info on "Internal Apple Procedures or Processes".

So who know's who's to blame. Pretty annoyed that a Premium 'Pro' phone and I can't even use it for it's primary purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.