Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-12 um 20.50.28.png

this is taken from the German page but it does appear to still have a Nano-Sim slot in Europe. PHEW

Reactions: kerr

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
Yeah the SIM tray is even still there in France lol

Man what a silly rumor. European MVNOs just are not ready for eSIM yet, maybe next year.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK

Man what a silly rumor. European MVNOs just are not ready for eSIM yet, maybe next year.
Apple probably really does want European MVNOs and others to get onboard with eSIM. Since the European models do still have a physical SIM slot I suspect this will be another year where Apple doesn’t want to have 2 different versions of the main PCB layout so the US PCB will still basically be the same as the rest-of-world PCB with an empty space where the physical SIM tray would otherwise be. Once Apple can be eSIM-only everywhere it can optimise the PCB layout to take full advantage of no longer needing to allocate space to a physical SIM holder.

BijouMan

macrumors member
May 16, 2022

Sooner or later, likely sooner, all will be eSim.

Apple probably really does want European MVNOs and others to get onboard with eSIM. Since the European models do still have a physical SIM slot I suspect this will be another year where Apple doesn’t want to have 2 different versions of the main PCB layout so the US PCB will still basically be the same as the rest-of-world PCB with an empty space where the physical SIM tray would otherwise be. Once Apple can be eSIM-only everywhere it can optimise the PCB layout to take full advantage of no longer needing to allocate space to a physical SIM holder.
I was able to instantly have my American cellular plan converted to use an eSIM right from Settings, but unfortunately, as of right now, I cannot do the same with my Greek one. They currently can only handle eSIM-related tasks in their stores and charge a fee for the conversion if you are not using a postpaid plan. Also, the account must first be activated from the physical SIM before they can do the eSIM conversion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.