Iphone 156 character texts...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acearchie, Jul 12, 2009.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Im not sure about other countries but here in the UK 1 sms counts as 156 characters.

Is there anything free that will count how many characters my message is as I only have 600 texts a month and if I write 157 characters it will count as two messages!

Thanks

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

it's 160 characters, and no, there are no apps that can do this, unless you jailbreak

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Is it? On my old phone it would display 156 characters before saying I had started the second text!

Fortunately I am jailbroken. Is there an app?

Thanks

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Wow...seriously, I can't believe the iPhone doesn't have a character counter. I know Apple has a weird MO but honestly.

More and more it makes me feel like this is one of those things to entice carriers for agreements.."We'll leave out a character counter in the text app so that people won't know how many they're sending"

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

You'll have to jailbreak or get really good at guessing. Count out a few 160 character messages and get a feel as to how long they are (how many lines?). Then maybe you will be able to just stay under the amount without counting.

6. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

This is because the iPhone doesn't separate the text bubbles. It allows you to type as much as you want and then sends them as linked messages. Some smartphones, like the iPhone, display these linked messages as 1 message to the user.

If you have limited texts, then I would suggest that you send txts from an IM program whenever possible. You can use AIM (and other clients) to send messages to your friend's cell phones. This way AIM counts as data instead of txt messages.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm pretty sure that if you're just sending one text, the limit is 160, but if you're sending a longer message that will be split up, the limit is 156 characters as the phone needs to use a few bytes to tell the receiving phone that it's a multi-part message so it can put it back together.

8. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

9. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I'd like to know what jailbreak app adds this warning too? or maybe they're referring to using one of the seperate SMS apps, which I don't want to do really.

10. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Sadly dont have a data allowance! Im on an unlocked jailbroken iphone 3g!

Just wanted to make sure I wasnt sending too many texts!

11. philgilder macrumors 68000

i think iSMS does this, although i haven't jailbroken for about a year!

12. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

BiteSMS has a character counter (it'll also count how many texts you've sent overall and you can reset it whenever your contract renews). You have to pay for it eventually, but you get something like 3 weeks of free usage.

I really like BiteSMS actually, it's a nice app in a few ways. Opened faster than the stock app for me too.