Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
I may be too optimistic too early — again — but I have not restarted my phone since Monday when I updated to 17.4 and WhatsApp has done daily backups since, but my storage is stable, no increase until now. This may actually be fixed.

You might be right. I expected 17.4 to fix the problem, but after the first backup my storage did actually increase. However, the second backup stabilized the storage. I disabled the daily backup due to the bug, but I’ll enable it again now and see what happens :)

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
Okay, after the third backup, no iCloud drive appeared, which is good.

However “calculating category sizes” says 40 GB used now, and after a few seconds it says 60 GB, which is still weird… lets see what happens in a few days

You recognize this? @ninjastyle

ninjastyle

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
Okay, after the third backup, no iCloud drive appeared, which is good.

However “calculating category sizes” says 40 GB used now, and after a few seconds it says 60 GB, which is still weird… lets see what happens in a few days

You recognize this? @ninjastyle

No. Mine has been completely stable and within a few hundred megabyte in total storage since 17.4.

ninjastyle

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
So of course after around two weeks my storage was nearly maxed out, but this time due to "System Data" (all the way at the bottom of the storage info screen). This is most likely still WhatsApp backups being stores as caches or something, but now hidden under a different area in the storage information. This even seemed to have stopped my WhatsApp backups for running automatically for about 3 days until I noticed. Rebooting cleared out the storage again, but this is still not fixed, only it seems to identify itself differently.

Too early to say if 17.4.1 will fix it, but I'm starting to doubt — though the above change seem to show that someone somewhere may be trying to fix it?

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
So of course after around two weeks my storage was nearly maxed out, but this time due to "System Data" (all the way at the bottom of the storage info screen). This is most likely still WhatsApp backups being stores as caches or something, but now hidden under a different area in the storage information. This even seemed to have stopped my WhatsApp backups for running automatically for about 3 days until I noticed. Rebooting cleared out the storage again, but this is still not fixed, only it seems to identify itself differently.

Too early to say if 17.4.1 will fix it, but I'm starting to doubt — though the above change seem to show that someone somewhere may be trying to fix it?

Yep. Mine is still corrupted as well. I already reinstalled WhatsApp, and erased the iPhone, however, I did not reinstall the iOS.

So well…. Maybe iOS 18, or a new phone will fix it. But like you said, rebooting the device is not that difficult..

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
It identifies itself differently for me as well. My “calculating category size” size decreases after every whatsapp backup with the size of the backup.

Apple holds an event on May 7th, usually it comes with an update as well (17.5 in this case).

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
It identifies itself differently for me as well. My “calculating category size” size decreases after every whatsapp backup with the size of the backup.

Apple holds an event on May 7th, usually it comes with an update as well (17.5 in this case).
Few days ago I got a new iPhone but before doing the initialization it showed a weird size with nothing installed yet
iphone 15pro GB missing.jpg

12.21 GB just for the system?!? it was iOS 17.3, then I updated to 17.4.1 but of course I already copied my apps

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Few days ago I got a new iPhone but before doing the initialization it showed a weird size with nothing installed yet View attachment 2372244
12.21 GB just for the system?!? it was iOS 17.3, then I updated to 17.4.1 but of course I already copied my apps
Yea, sounds pretty normal. System consist of many things, iOS downloaded updates, logs, cache etc.
Have a look in iPhone storage, it gives you a better idea. System Data and iOS are listed separately.
iOS will prob take up about +11GB.

• Wow
Reactions: katbel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.