Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is expected to expand the Dynamic Island to all four iPhone 15 models released this year, but the integrated feature is making it difficult for one of Apple's Chinese suppliers to produce the devices en masse, claims a new report.

iphone-14-pro-dynamic-island.jpg

According to Korean-language website The Elec, China's BOE is having problems with light leakage around the portion of the OLED display where the pill and hole cutouts secure the space necessary for the TrueDepth camera and Face ID.

The issues are said to be limited to a low-end 6.1-inch iPhone 15 model that BOE has been involved in manufacturing. The report implies that Samsung and LG Display – set to mass produce the "Pro" 6.1-inch model and the two larger "Plus" and "Pro Max" 6.7-inch models – have not experienced similar problems.

Apple apparently requested that its iPhone 15 OLED suppliers use something called Edge Light Blocking (ELB), a device to prevent light leakage around the camera lens, among other advanced process technologies. However, for whatever reason, this solution has not been successful for BOE. Indeed, BOE "seems to have failed to meet the stringent standards required by Apple," reads the machine-translated report.

As a result of the light leakage issue, the report claims it will be difficult for BOE to participate in the mass production of OLED panels for the first shipment of the iPhone 15 series scheduled for around June.

Instead, the report predicts that OLED panels produced by BOE will be initially used for repairs and refurbs, rather than for new products. Whether LG or Samsung take up the OLED orders that BOE will miss out on will likely be dictated by production capacity.

Dynamic Island is a pill-shaped area surrounding the Face ID sensors and front camera on the iPhone 14 Pro models. The feature can display system alerts for things like incoming phone calls and the Face ID authentication prompt, and it also works with Live Activities in third-party apps.

The feature is currently exclusive to the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, but is expected to be available on the standard non-Pro iPhone 15 models this year as well, according to oft-accurate display industry analyst Ross Young.

Article Link: iPhone 15's Dynamic Island Poses Production Difficulties for One Apple Supplier

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Tbh, I haven’t really paid much attention to the dynamic island much since I got the 14 pro. It kind of just blends in like the notch.

The one thing I have noticed pop up on it is my AirPods battery level (when the case is opened). That’s actually very useful.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Not if that manufacturer solves their production problem.
I assume they only get part of the pie whether it is new or repair components if they fix the light leakage and not they will serve repairs with light leak components.

Reactions: Sikh

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Tbh, I haven’t really paid much attention to the dynamic island much since I got the 14 pro. It kind of just blends in like the notch.

The one thing I have noticed pop up on it is my AirPods battery level (when the case is opened). That’s actually very useful.
The Dynamic Island is brilliant, but indeed does not seem to be picked up or implemented at the moment to consider useful.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Interesting dilemma if it can't be fixed in time for mass production. Does Apple split the LGD/SMD panels between the 15 and 15 Pro or restrict supplies of the less profitable variant? Could they possibly fall back on the notch display for the non-pro model and if so, would the Plus get the island or be dragged back to the notch?

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Just buy Apple’s best and you won’t have that problem.

Or… ironically, apples cheapest also works: iPhone SE.

BordeauxBro

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2022
Is this copy/paste from some promotion material? Who writes messages like this?
mean 💀

but also... imagine... what would happen if Apple failed to release the base model iPhone model during September / October and then they realize getting rid of the light leak problem is impossible and then they completely scrap the base model

I'm ready for the first ever iPhone release controversy

MarcoPohlo

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2015
Where is the guy that kept saying BOE is absolutely superior? How many more proofs do you need?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Always seems to be bad news and setbacks regarding BOE in reports.
Why do Apple continue to persist with them?
Because they need more production capacity than LG and Samsung combined can currently provide.

gund1234

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2022
Yes, if the issue anctually exists in September then it poses a purchase problem. Until then its a theoretical problem.
Apple should fix this long before September, by this time the design is locked and no major changes would be expected. Manufacturing iPhone would have long lead times.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
😂 oh I’m very much aware. They’ve had OLED for quite some time now. That’s why I said what I said. DI will go away according to the roadmap. I’m sticking with my 13 PM until all of that is underneath the screen.
It will happen at some point, but no one has solved the issues relating to flawlessly hiding under screen cameras, the best still have a bit of a shine/glimmer which hashtag-happy, something-gate apple users would flip their collective wigs over, or hiding them without impacting image quality. But yeah, your 13PM will be great for several years to come.

Reactions: Jimmy Bubbles
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.