Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For the upcoming iPhone 16, Apple will adopt the same color-infused back glass that features on the standard iPhone 15 models, claims a new rumor out of China.

iPhone-16-Camera-Lozenge-2-Perspective.jpg

Last year, Apple debuted a custom dual-ion exchange glass process on the non-premium iPhone 15 models that gives the rear glass layer a frosted effect that contrasts with the main frame color.

Apple's description of the effect on the iPhone 15:
"For the first time in a smartphone, colour is infused throughout the back glass, creating five beautiful colours. The back glass is strengthened with an optimised dual-ion exchange process before being polished with nanocrystalline particles and etched to create a luxurious, textured matte finish."
According to the Weibo-based leaker "Fixed focus digital," who claims to have seen the iPhone 16 color scheme, Apple will use the same process for the back glass on the new models, which could come in as many as seven colors this year as opposed to five.
Late last month, another Weibo source suggested Apple could extend its dual-ion exchange glass process to the back of the iPhone 16 Pro, which is expected to have the same titanium frame as the iPhone 15 Pro. However, the source of today's leak does not mention the premium iPhone 16 models, and both Weibo accounts have yet to establish a track record for accurate Apple rumors.

Apple is expected to release the iPhone 16 series around its usual mid-September timeframe.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Again Rumored to Feature Color-Infused Back Glass

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2007
Ok. My guess is we'll see something approaching innovation at around the point of the iPhone 20.
You’re welcome, of course, to go and show them what innovation truly is. Whatever relevant skills you have could potentially get you a job there. Of course, articles that point out really tiny aesthetic details about future phones don’t help either.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I personally like the look of this color infused back glass, however, I’d make them a bit more saturated , a bit darker, a bit bolder. And a Midnight color with this finish would be awesome.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
It's funny, how Apple is so obsessed with the color of the back glass, when most consumers will put the phone in an ugly case anyway.

Based on my small friend group, relatives and what I see on TV and in movies, most people seem to use those clear cases with the magsafe showing nowadays. I never liked those to be honest. They should color match that magsafe with the color of your phone instead of white, which sticks out way too much.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
and I was hoping for more than Black, white & different levels of slightly off white. It's a shame that they design phones for marketing not for usability/new features.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hmmm... Glass yet again. Can the back glass be replaced without chipping away the glass or accessing the innards?

iPay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2023
How about they keep the same price, but we pay with color-infused bills?
couldn't care less actually, always with a case.

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
and I was hoping for more than Black, white & different levels of slightly off white. It's a shame that they design phones for marketing not for usability/new features.
Disagree. Marketing gets us things like piano black, which looked great in product shots and on initial unboxing, but was a mess of scratches after a few hours. It was easy to market that design, but it was a poor decision. These colors are designed to last longer, but I don't think they market well. No one sees these colors and feels FOMO when they look at their iPhone 13 or 14.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Radin.Y

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Michigan
How much are we gonna bet they’re gonna talk about this with so much enthusiasm, and call it “revolutionary.” Oh don’t forget: “It takes courage!”
We have colored-glass iPhones for years. This won’t change anything for the end user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.