Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshuaorange

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2023
“Any changes to MagSafe will almost certainly be backwards compatible.”

What suggests that assumption? Apple is very good at breaking compatibility and forcing third party manufacturers to revise their products. It appears to be part of their strategy to keep the halo market healthy.
Apple doesn’t force consumers to change their own cables and accessories very often. In this scenario it’s super easy to update the design while making it work with existing hardware.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Apple doesn’t force consumers to change their own cables and accessories very often. In this scenario it’s super easy to update the design while making it work with existing hardware.

They DON’T??

I have a giant box of cables, expansion cards and etc. that strongly disagree with your assessment.

And again, I’m not saying the new design IS incompatible with the older design. I’m just wondering WHY the assumption was made that compatibility will not be an issue?

mevans7

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2009
Just a few more sizes, now THAT's innovation! But not smaller. Definitely not smaller. All those rebel rousers and their desire for a phone that would actually fit in their pocket. NO, NO, NO! Must stop them!

RickDEGH

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2018
Frankfurt, Deutschland 🇩🇪
“Any changes to MagSafe will almost certainly be backwards compatible.”

What suggests that assumption? Apple is very good at breaking compatibility and forcing third party manufacturers to revise their products. It appears to be part of their strategy to keep the halo market healthy.
Or rather making money for third party accessories manufacturers, and forcing buyers to buy new accessories. It’s the consumer who suffers, not the manufacturers.

MNGR

Contributor
Sep 17, 2019
They DON’T??

I have a giant box of cables, expansion cards and etc. that strongly disagree with your assessment.

And again, I’m not saying the new design IS incompatible with the older design. I’m just wondering WHY the assumption was made that compatibility will not be an issue?
Humm. I guess you are not in IT... I have RS232 (with all it's variations, SCSI, FDDI, ATM, COAX, various CAT cables. 5 1/4", 3 1/2", 8" discs.. HDMI implementations, and so on.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Humm. I guess you are not in IT... I have RS232 (with all it's variations, SCSI, FDDI, ATM, COAX, various CAT cables. 5 1/4", 3 1/2", 8" discs.. HDMI implementations, and so on.

I mean, congratulations? Because I also have just about all of those. What’s your point?

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
They're phones. Why do some people act like you're being asked to bench press a truck? And they aren't making small phones because not enough people wanted them or bought them. Supply and demand. If there's no demand, they aren't going to supply them.
Well some of us dont dress in pants that are three numbers too big in size, and therefor don't have big pockets for phones, which are slowly becoming phablets.

cocky jeremy

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008
Well some of us dont dress in pants that are three numbers too big in size, and therefor don't have big pockets for phones, which are slowly becoming phablets.
I wear slim fit jeans and my phone fits perfectly fine. I think some of you are wearing clothes too small. lol.

Reactions: Surf Monkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.