Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone 16 Pro Max will boast a bigger main camera sensor while both iPhone 16 Pro models will feature a 48-megapixel Ultra Wide camera for the first time, claims a rumor coming out of Asia.

iPhone-15-Pro-Cameras.jpg

According to Weibo user OvO Baby Sauce OvO, the main camera of the iPhone 16 Pro Max will be based on an advanced custom 48-megapixel Sony IMX903 sensor. In contrast, the iPhone 16 Pro will use the same 48-megapixel custom Sony IMX803 sensor as that found on the current iPhone 15 Pro models.

The leaker also claims that this year's iPhone 16 Pro models will feature an upgraded Ultra Wide camera with a 48-megapixel sensor, allowing it to capture more light and result in better photos when shooting in 0.5x mode, especially in low-light conditions. The Ultra Wide lens on the current iPhone 15 Pro models is 12-megapixels.

This is the second time we have heard rumors that the iPhone 16 Pro Max will feature a more advanced main camera sensor. The claim was first made in January by "Digital Chat Station," a Weibo user responsible for leaking several accurate details about upcoming iPhone camera technology.

The latter source said that the custom Sony IMX903 in the iPhone 16 Pro Max would include advanced features like a stacked design for better performance, a 14-bit Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC) for high-quality image data conversion, and Digital Gain Control (DCG) for better dynamic range and noise control.

We have also previously heard rumors of a 48-megapixel Ultra Wide camera coming to both iPhone 16 Pro models. The rumor first originated last December from Weibo user "Instant Digital," suggesting that this year's Pro devices will be the first to feature two 48-megapixel sensors. If true, the upgrade should mean that both ‌iPhone 16 Pro‌ models will be able to shoot 48-megapixel ProRAW photos in Ultra Wide mode.

Today's claim doubles down on the rumor and further corroborates a 2023 forecast from Haitong International Securities analyst Jeff Pu, who said that the ‌iPhone 16 Pro‌ will feature a 48-megapixel Ultra Wide camera.

In 2025, the iPhone 17 Pro is expected to complete the rear camera array's transition to 48-megapixel sensors, bringing the technology to the Telephoto lens, which is currently 12-megapixels on the iPhone 15 Pro models.
Apple's upcoming iPhone 16 series is expected to be released around mid-September this year.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Pro Max to Feature New 48MP Wide and Ultra Wide Cameras

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
48MP ultrawide is a nice to have but I guess once there is no 12MP sensor on an iPhone that will be the time I will switch from iPhone 14 Pro Max...

Are they going to have the ultrawide do a 1.0x and 2.0x just like when it was initially introduced in the iPhone 14 Pro series?

What will be the zoom designation of each camera by the time this comes true?

Apple should keep the 0.5x 1.0x 2.0x 3.0x and then add whatever zoom past 3.0x

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Can we just get action mode in actual 4k and not this 2K bullcrap? Literally, the only feature I'd like to see :)

Reactions: winxmac

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I assume this could enable higher resolution Spatial Videos for the 5 of us who didn't return their Vision Pro!
Haha. It will finally be a few more of us once they start this international rollout. It will be all 10 of us then.

Reactions: TallGuyGT

r_123

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2021
In 2025, the iPhone 17 Pro is expected to complete the rear camera array's transition to 48-megapixel sensors,
Both Pro models, or just the Max? Heard "only the Pro Max" before... Would not like that. Hoping for 48-megapixel telephoto. But please: Not just the 5x. 77mm (3x) is a super convenient focal length.

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
In contrast, the iPhone 16 Pro will use the same 48-megapixel custom Sony IMX803 sensor as that found on the current iPhone 15 Pro models.
I guess that's this year's big reason to upsell people to the larger model; if you want a normal-sized phone and the best camera quality, you're out of luck. 😩

• Haha
Reactions: tridley68

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
It is so frustrating that we have to wait until the iPhone 17 pro for 48mp on the telephoto lens (where it would actually be useful). Plenty of highend phones have these high MP binned sensors on ALL their lenses right now. But Apple must trickle out the updates just to have another camera upgrade.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
Apple, fill the zoom gap between 1x and 5x please, I've tried 15 Pro max at an Apple Store and it's pathetic when you do not have a 3x telephoto. It would be solved of there is a 3x 48MP telephoto, where you can still get a 6x 12MP telephoto shot and a great 3x shot.

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
Yep, Googles software for photos is just lightyears ahead and they're not even trying.

Imagine if Google bothered with the best sensors.

This. In real life situations, which is usually not ideal lighting, indoors, Pixel produces much clearer and sharper still images. If I wasn't fully sucked into the eco-system I'd have a Pixel for my phone.

We have a group photo share/chat for the family and after every birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, anniversary, party we collectively dump our pictures so everyone can choose their favorites to save. It's like the Pixel people have a professional DSLR. Our iPhone photos are more grainy at best, often blurry if there is even the slightest movement (such as a kid opening presents or singing happy birthday).

How this isn't more of a priority for Apple baffles me to no end. Every year at the keynote I chuckle when they brag at a picture of a flower outdoors, a mountain 3 miles away, a building. Is that someones use case?

r_123

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2021
Apple, fill the zoom gap between 1x and 5x please, I've tried 15 Pro max at an Apple Store and it's pathetic when you do not have a 3x telephoto. It would be solved of there is a 3x 48MP telephoto, where you can still get a 6x 12MP telephoto shot and a great 3x shot.
Totally agree. However: Even better: 3x@48MP and an additional 5x@48mp. We'd then have 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 10x at at least 12mp.

rymc02

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2021
If only the Pro Max gets the IMX903 it's a real shame. The IMX803 will have been the same sensor for the 14,15 and 16. I think using the same sensor for 3 years is fine on your base models, it's not OK on your flagship series.

I think if they keep hamstringing the Pro vs the Pro Max they will only slow down upgrades. You're basically previewing what users will get next year for everyone that doesn't want a large phone.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
These new cameras should really benefit users. Looking forward to seeing what Apple actually will release.

Reactions: CalMin

Nekronos

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2024
If only the Pro Max gets the IMX903 it's a real shame. The IMX803 will have been the same sensor for the 14,15 and 16. I think using the same sensor for 3 years is fine on your base models, it's not OK on your flagship series.

I think if they keep hamstringing the Pro vs the Pro Max they will only slow down upgrades. You're basically previewing what users will get next year for everyone that doesn't want a large phone.
This is also just Apple min/maxing their supply chain and costs, in addition to product differentiation. They gotta pad those profit margins and cash piles somehow, it's what allowed them to throw money at the pit that was Apple car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.