Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming iPhone 16 Pro models will use an improved process for finishing and coloring titanium, claims a new rumor out of Korea.

iPhone-15-Pro-Cameras.jpg

According to news aggregator account "yeux1122" on the Naver blog, the new process will make the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max look more polished than the iPhone 15 Pro models, which have a brushed finish.

The improved manufacturing process will allegedly result in a glossy appearance that is more akin to the heavily polished stainless steel material used in previous Pro iPhones. However, the new titanium finish will be less prone to scratches compared to stainless steel.

The ‌‌brushed finish on iPhone 15 Pro models‌‌ is considerably less reflective than the finish of previous Pro iPhones. It is less prone to fingerprints and also reduces scratch visibility. Apart from looks though, Apple's use of a titanium frame for its iPhone 15 Pro devices also cut down the weight of the devices. The iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are approximately nine percent lighter than the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.

In addition, the titanium frame and aluminum substructure also provides better heat dissipation than any previous-generation Pro models with stainless steel frames, according to Apple.

A rumor earlier this week claimed that the iPhone 16 Pro models will come in new "space black" and "rose" titanium colors. The "rose" is a gold shade, while "space black" could replace the black titanium option. Apple is expected to release the iPhone 16 series in the fall.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Pro Models Could Feature New Polished Titanium Finish

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I thought it was either Dave2D or MKBHD one time trying to explain in a review why they thought Apple likes to go with polished edge design, even if most end users hate it:

They hypothesized that because in the press release photos, and CGI generated debut video where the iPhone is moving around by itself, it looks “cool” to the invited press when they see the light flashing against the polished edge for a few seconds. Kind of like little children that want to see a light show. Never mind that once you hold it on your hands for a few seconds the polished edge looks terrible with all the fingerprints and hand oil, if anything that can be a “bonus” to Apple in a way since it will push the customer to either buy cases directly from Apple or keeps the case manufacturers happy with additional sales.

Regardless of their theory, IMO a polished edge or back on a phone is garbage and looks really tacky. I hope they keep the brushed finish long term.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Personally I much prefer the brushed finish. But as a pedant I feel it's inelegant to weld a thin strip of titanium around an aluminium sub frame. It's just a literal veneer of 'premium' over something exactly the same internally.

I have a silly theory as to why they're returning to the polished finish though. Focus groups in China probably said they don't like it because it looks just like the 'cheap' aluminium iPhone. So Tim's reversing course because the tanking sales in that region.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
According to Amazon, one of the best selling Apple cases for iPhone 15 Pro/Max is the clear MagSafe case.

People are returning FineWoven cases left, right, and center. Chassis color and finish matters for many users.

That Apple Clear MagSafe case is an overpriced abomination that should have been discontinued a long time ago. It is really hard to put on/take off, it leaves the bottom bit exposed and displays dust and particles accumulated under it with remarkable clarity. ESR, Spigen and Co do a much better job for a fraction of the price, IMO. The only good Apple iPhone case remaining is the silicone one, yet that one is also overpriced, IMO.

Basically, if you are into clear cases (I am), you need to be ready to swap them every 6-10 months, as they will all yellow to some degree, so it makes no sense to overpay.

Last edited:

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I thought it was either Dave2D or MKBHD one time trying to explain in a review why they thought Apple likes to go with polished edge design, even if most end users hate it:

They hypothesized that because in the press release photos, and CGI generated debut video where the iPhone is moving around by itself, it looks “cool” to the invited press when they see the light flashing against the polished edge for a few seconds. Kind of like little children that want to see a light show. Never mind that once you hold it on your hands for a few seconds the polished edge looks terrible with all the fingerprints and hand oil, if anything that can be a “bonus” to Apple in a way since it will push the customer to either buy cases directly from Apple or keeps the case manufacturers happy with additional sales.

Regardless of their theory, IMO a polished edge or back on a phone is garbage and looks really tacky. I hope they keep the brushed finish long term.
I always thought polished designs were derived from the Japanese design principle of wabi-sabi; finding beauty in imperfection, aging or patina. The classic iPod design with the polished back was famously impossible to keep pristine. Anyway, couldn't immediately find a source so maybe I'm wrong.

amaze1499

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014

Apple's upcoming iPhone 16 Pro models will use an improved process for finishing and coloring titanium, claims a new rumor out of Korea.

iPhone-15-Pro-Cameras.jpg

According to news aggregator account "yeux1122" on the Naver blog, the new process will make the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max look more polished than the iPhone 15 Pro models, which have a brushed finish.

The improved manufacturing process will allegedly result in a glossy appearance that is more akin to the heavily polished stainless steel material used in previous Pro iPhones. However, the new titanium finish will be less prone to scratches compared to stainless steel.

The ‌‌brushed finish on iPhone 15 Pro models‌‌ is considerably less reflective than the finish of previous Pro iPhones. It is less prone to fingerprints and also reduces scratch visibility. Apart from looks though, Apple's use of a titanium frame for its iPhone 15 Pro devices also cut down the weight of the devices. The iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are approximately nine percent lighter than the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.

In addition, the titanium frame and aluminum substructure also provides better heat dissipation than any previous-generation Pro models with stainless steel frames, according to Apple.

A rumor earlier this week claimed that the iPhone 16 Pro models will come in new "space black" and "rose" titanium colors. The "rose" is a gold shade, while "space black" could replace the black titanium option. Apple is expected to release the iPhone 16 series in the fall.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Pro Models Could Feature New Polished Titanium Finish
Wow! And new emojis! A must have!

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Totally true. But it seems practically impossible to use iPhone without case to me. It's so slippery. It literally slides over almost every surface I lay it down.
really? I’m not kidding when I say I’ve been caseless for about 3 years now and can count on one hand how many times each of them slid or fell.

I’ve had 15PM, 14PM, 13PM etc. I guess as all treat them differently.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
I don't like the look of the brushed titanium, so a shiny option would be nice. However. I have a case on 99.99 percent of the time, so it's not a dealbreaker for me, personally. The lighter weight materials have got to be a little easier on the wrist.

The only thing I have real concerns about when I inevitably upgrade is how well the USB-C port is going to hold up, since my experience of my Mac USB-C ports is that they quickly becoming loose and cables wiggles out (with little or no movement) enough to lose the connection, which isn't great for backups.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

hacky

Suspended
Jul 14, 2022
really? I’m not kidding when I say I’ve been caseless for about 3 years now and can count on one hand how many times each of them slid or fell.

I’ve had 15PM, 14PM, 13PM etc. I guess as all treat them differently.
Wow. I really wanted to have my 15P caseless, but slipping from different materials was a real issue to me.

And I'm not even talking about slipping from my hands, that's a non issue, but when I put it onto side of ceramic sink which was not perfectly in level it starting sliding to the side. And I'm not even kidding. The same issue was in my car - when I put it to the place without anti-slipping mat it basically flew off in the first turn. All this solved by simple transparent case. It's rather disgusting and I don't like the look of my iPhone in it, but it's practical.

Just my experience. I'm glad you are able to use it caseless no problem, I wanted too. Trust me.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
The time and effort Apple spend on the silliest things is quite amazing. Yes I know it’s not the same peo0le that code or perform other meaningful tasks but it is still effort and investment in time and money that could be better spent making this stuff actually work as it should. Apple have changed so much since Tim took over. It’s so sad.

• Wow
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
If you don’t drop your phone often, the screen replacement fee for AppleCare is about the same price as a good case. Caseless all day.

AppleCare does not cover “cosmetic” defects, such as bumps and scratches, for as long as your iPhone’s functionality is not affected. One single drop can be enough to leave marks, so it all depends on how tolerant you are to these potential imperfections or if you plan to sell/pass on your iPhone afterwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.