Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The rear camera lenses on the lower-end iPhone 16 model will be arranged in a vertical layout, according to information shared today by Twitter account @URedditor. The design change would presumably extend to the iPhone 16 Plus as well.

iPhone-12-Vertical-Camera-Lenses-Feature-Red.jpg
Vertically-arranged rear camera lenses on iPhone 12

Apple switched to diagonally-arranged rear camera lenses with the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini, and the design carried over to the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus. The diagonal layout is expected to continue with the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus later this year, but the devices will apparently be the final models to use the design.

If this rumor proves to be accurate, the iPhone 16 would be returning to a vertical layout last seen on the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini. The leaker said this change will make the device "instantly recognizable" as the latest model, at least when combined with other newer design aspects like the Dynamic Island and a USB-C port.

It's unclear why Apple might be planning this change beyond aesthetics. When the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini launched, Apple simply said "a redesigned rear camera layout with diagonally arranged lenses enables the advanced dual-camera system," so perhaps Apple has figured out a way to fit camera components within a vertical orientation again.

iPhone-14-Yellow-Feature.jpg
Diagonally-arranged rear camera lenses on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 16 in September 2024, so the device is still far away from launching, and the design plans could change.

Bigger changes are expected for the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max, which will reportedly feature larger 6.3-inch and 6.9-inch displays, respectively. Those devices have triple-lens rear camera systems, so the vertical layout would not apply.

@URedditor accurately revealed some details about App Clips before the feature launched in 2020, and is more recently known as the first source to share an alleged real-world image of the iPhone 15 Pro with a USB-C port, and various other iPhone 15 details. We'll have a better idea of the source's credibility after the iPhone 15 launches.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Rumored to Have Vertical Camera Layout Like iPhone 12

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The vertical camera layout looks way better.

The regular iPhone lineup has become a part of Lather, Rinse, Repeat phase. ♻️📱
Yep, I agree, the diagonal allocation of the iPhone 13 gave it a breeze of fresh air to the rear design, and I would inevitably see a vertical orientation of the cameras as an old design.

But honestly I couldn’t care less, with those sizes I’m probably never buying an iPhone 16 or newer. My options in September are: a) iPhone 14, or b) iPhone 15 Pro.

EDIT: Oh, I see you said vertical and not diagonal. Then we disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Whats up with all 16 rumours? Are we being forced to skip 15 this year by all these rumours about 16? I hardly saw anything about 15!
The 15 series will look a lot like the 14 series with the exception of the lower end 15 model getting the dynamic island. Maybe that’s the reason there hasn’t been much coverage. It looks like the 16 series will feature a more noticeable difference.

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
Cam looks kinda empty. Like "i wanna be but i can't". Red is ugly, as long you don't have a job at Ferrari or the Red Cross. Phone is okay.
Yo Tim - i know you read this; when the **** do you change the apple watch to "stand alone"? Needing an multi-sim and a computer for a watch with a (5G?) modem plus a IPhone is really unbelievable those days!!! I'll get my first at the moment you change your mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.