iPhone+17'' HD MBP or Low-End 15'' LED MBP+30'' Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SavageLLama77, Jun 6, 2007.

1. SavageLLama77 macrumors regular

Given the above information, which configuration is a better choice? At first, I was dead set on getting the LED 15'' with a 30'' Display. However, I just realized the 17'' can have the same resolution as a 23'' Display (another question is if I get this HD option can I still switch to the 1680 by 1050 if I want?). Still, the 17'' does not have LED :( . I wouldn't be able to afford the 17 and a 30'', but I could get an iPhone with it. I could also get a 15 and a 30'' (or an iPhone for that matter). So, which configuration is better and why? Thanks!

2. Wallace86 macrumors regular

personally dude i would get the 17" now, save money, and buy the 30" later. i am not really all that psyched about iphones. I'm getting a 17" here sometime...i dont know if i should wait for the backlit lcd or not!!! a real mind-frack!!....i dont know if i want glossy or non-glossy....what about u?

3. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

I was wondering the same thing about when they would have LED 17''-ers; will it be ur first 17? If not, can you tell me if it's hard to carry around sometimes are you sometimes don't like how big it is? BTW, I have no idea if I want glossy or matte (non glossy); its amazing how there's so many people who argue either one is better.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

5. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

As much as I love the LED's (I really want one those iPhone look incredible. I think Id go this route, Or, even though the rules might perhibit this Id go for a 15" macbook pro and iPhone and get a 30" later.

6. willowpez macrumors newbie

I guess it really depends on what your bigger interest is. (do you use a screen a lot, to watch movies, etc? or do you use a phone a lot?)

Either way, I would get the 15" MBP. The LEDs are awesome, it's cheaper, and most importantly, it's much more portable than the 17".

So from your two options, I personally would go for the 15" MBP + 30" ACD, and wait for the next gen iPhone.

Good luck!

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

What about 15" MBP with a 23" ACD (giving you the same resolution as the HD 17" MBP), allowing a little more money left over for the iPhone?

I'm kind grappling with the same question: Either 15" MBP with external display, or 17" HD MBP. I was dead set on the latter. However, I went to see the LED screens at the Apple Store today and...well...WOW!

Seriously, go see the MBPs yourself before buying.

8. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

Specifically, what struck you about the LED screens? Thanks.

9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Even colour distribution. There was no fading towards the edges which standard LCD screens seem to suffer from. Also, to my eyes it seemed brighter. However, the official word from Apple appears to be that LED doesnt make the display brighter, so make of that what you will. The viewing angle appeared improved to me to.

At the Apple Store I went to they only had a new 17" MBP with glossy screen to compare it to. There was no new 17" matte MBP to make a direct comparison to. As such I didn't really spend that much time on the 17"er because I know I don't want glossy. I need to go back at a later date and make a proper comparison. So we'll see.