Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Next year's iPhone 17 will feature an anti-reflective display that is more scratch-resistant than Apple's Ceramic Shield found on iPhone 15 models, according to a new rumor out of Asia.

iphone-15-galaxy-s24-ultra-corning-glass.jpg
Anti-reflection properties of Galaxy S24 Ultra (bottom) vs. iPhone 15 (Image: IceUniverse)

Chinese Weibo leaker Instant Digital claimed on Tuesday that the outer glass on the iPhone 17 is set to have a "super-hard anti-reflective layer" that is "more scratch-resistant than you think." The coating equipment has just been handed over to China's supply chain, according to the leaker, but not in time for it to feature in this year's upcoming iPhone 16 series.

"Ceramic Shield" is a marketing name for a glass-ceramic material developed by Corning in collaboration with Apple. Apple says the Ceramic Shield on the iPhone 15 is "tougher than any smartphone glass." Introduced on iPhone 12 models in 2020, Apple advertised the ceramic-infused glass as increasing drop performance by 4x compared to the iPhone 11.

More recently, Samsung debuted its newest Galaxy S24 Ultra, which features a Gorilla Glass Armor display panel, also developed by Corning. According to Corning, the Armor panel cuts reflections by 75 percent compared to a typical glass surface, and is resistant to micro scratches that build up over time on competing glass panels. Corning also claims the panels offer over 4x more scratch resistance than competitive aluminosilicate cover glasses.

It's not clear whether Apple is planning to adopt Gorilla Glass Armor for the iPhone 17, but the description matches the Chinese leaker's claims. Corning could also be supplying Apple with an equivalent technology that will be branded under another name.
Corning has been a longtime Apple supplier, with Gorilla Glass used in devices across Apple's product lineup. In 2021, Apple said it had invested a combined $495 million to support Corning's ongoing research and development into "state-of-the-art glass processes," which led to the creation of Ceramic Shield.

Article Link: iPhone 17 to Feature New Scratch Resistant Anti-Reflective Display

• Love
Reactions: SurferPup

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
IPhones used to be more scratch resistant, but they traded it against shatter resistance at some point. Maybe they are trading it back now.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Hopefully better than whatever lamination they have used on the last few iPhone and watch models is.

I never had a problem with small scratches (and never broke a screen) since the original iPhone, yet those couple of models have just attracted scratches from the smallest of things.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
In their infinite chase for product margins and trying to squeeze last drop out of outdated technology, Apple has lost their way. They are now playing catch-up for almost everything.

100% correct.

They use to lead in so many areas but the last few years have been nothing but reactionary from Tim.

They're always chasing Google, Samsung or some Chinese brand they helped get banned in the US.

Instead, they think sticking ANOTHER button on the phone or using the same design for 6 years will cover for innovation.

Of course the sheep will buy whatever they churn out, meaning they continue to drag behind.

Apple stinks of old men penny pinching.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
In their infinite chase for product margins and trying to squeeze last drop out of outdated technology, Apple has lost their way. They are now playing catch-up for almost everything.

Generally true but keep in mind Apple's volume of iPhone shipments at launch and throughout the year is giant. The supply of relatively new (consumer ready) tech Samsung can secure for a flagship like the S24 Ultra will be a lot less than what Apple needs for the a Pro and Pro Max launch. I remember reading something about this a few years ago on MR.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Supposedly the 17 Pro will also switch to a polarizer-less display design (by Samsung).
Gonna be an interesting year in terms of the display getting thinner, brighter and more power efficient.
I wonder if the polarizer-less design actually kinda requires the added antireflectiveness of the new coating.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
this would be enough to get me to upgrade from my 14PM (lol at me writing 15PM and not realizing till 9 hours later). it’s my own fault for not getting a screen protector, but holy f—k the hairline scratches on my screen…it’s been worse than pre-CS models (which makes sense, that technology was the peak of them saying “we care more about shatter resistance than scratch resistance [reasonably so]”) unless we go back to like…the 6s.

also, anti-reflective displays are one of the biggest things I miss from Apple across their product line (mainly as a BTO option for MBPs, but many here who owned a classic Cinema Display likely also feel me)—given how impressive PDXDR’s anti-reflective coating is, I have high hopes. (just don’t charge $200 extra for it please and thanks Tim 😂)

Last edited:

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Hopefully better than whatever lamination they have used on the last few iPhone and watch models is.

I never had a problem with small scratches (and never broke a screen) since the original iPhone, yet those couple of models have just attracted scratches from the smallest of things.
My series 9 seems just as durable as my 5 and 2 were

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.