iPhone $19.99 PAYG plan going away

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hls811, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I know the rumor has been floating around but I just got this text from AT&T to my Pay As You Go iPhone:

AT&T Free Msg: Unlimited MEdiaNet packages will no longer be available as of 11/12. 1MB and 5MB MEdiaNet Packages still available. Call 611 for details.

Well, I checked my data usage and so far I've sent 22MB and received 177MB since I started using the phone in June, I think I'll have to either change my usage habits if I'm going to use 5MB or look to T-Mobiles options...

I can't find anything on the AT&T site regarding this, hopefully they post more info...

2. mrcharlie91 macrumors member

lol

that's no good.

I was all excited getting unlocked iphone 3g from ebay and get 20 bucks

data unlimited package..now it's gone!

I guess Iam going to sign up legally..

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

There's no unlocked 3G unless you were going to hack your SIM.

4. sotied macrumors regular

No text to my first gen phone regarding this.

More details please.

**One caveat on my situation. When I set my phone up, I used the serial number from a different brand of SmartPhone. So my plan is not listed as a MediaNet Unlimited on an iPhone, it's just MediaNet Unlimited.

If you hear more, please post info here.

Thanks!

5. sotied macrumors regular

UPDATE.

I just called 611 and the package was still available. I went ahead and signed up through November just to be safe. Later tonight I might extend the package again and again and again so it won't expire until after MacWorld in January.

**There was no alert to the packages not being available after 11/12. Also, the way the text message reads in the OP's note, it seems as if they won't allow new sign-ups to that plan after that date.

Those of us with it might be grandfathered in or we might be able to do what I did tonight and extend my existing plan. Now my plan doesn't end until the end of November according to the automated woman voice at 611.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

There are some countries that have legally unlocked iPhones.

7. aspenboy macrumors member

sotied,

I would be interested in hearing if you are able to extend the data plan well beyond the November deadline. Of course, there's no guarantee that if you sign up for multiple months right now that it will be honored. AT&T could decide unlimited data is no longer available and hopefully give you a refund.

My current month is set to expire on November 12th so I will try to extend it beyond then when the time comes.

8. Hls811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hls811

It allowed me to extent mine to Mid-December - I didn't try beyond that, but so far it let me do it.

9. aspenboy macrumors member

Hls811,
    good to know. Has anyone else tried it?

10. aspenboy macrumors member

I extended for the maximum length of time

I extended my unlimited medianet for another 3 months so it expires in mid feb. Hopefully, they'll continue to honor this until them and maybe they'll have some reasonable data plans, not just 1 and 5 MB. Something in the range of 100 MB or 1GB would be much better for me and worth $10-20/month. Hopefully AT&T will get their act together and do something along these lines.

Their tethering plans cost about $12/GB ($60 for 5GB) so charging other users for lower data limit plans could be fairly reasonable, even if they increase the per GB costs. I think that $25/GB would be a reasonable rate, especially if we could get plans with lower limits (500 MB to 1 GB).

11. Hls811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hls811

UGH!! I just tried to extend my MediaNet,and through the automated system its no longer available.. I thought it was being stopped for new customers but existing ones could extend it, but I guess not. THIS STINKS!!! I've got til January 13th to figure out how to switch to T-Mobile.

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yellowsn0w. ;)

13. Hls811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I'm still on a 1st Gen iPhone, so I dont think I need Yellowsn0w - I'm alreayd jailbroken/unlocked. I just haven't been able to figure out what the cheapest plan is for T-Mobile. I currently only have the $19.99 Unlimited Data and $4.99 texts (200 msgs) per month - Is there something that cheap/similarly priced with Tmo?

14. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I think unlimited data with Tmobile is $24.

15. aerospace macrumors 6502a

$29/mo voice + 5.99 tzones = $35

I don't think they have a pay as you go unlimited net option.

If you do $100 pay as you go they give you a yr service and 1000 minutes though. Comes to $8 month but no Internet, you'd be stuck on wifi.

16. Hls811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Can you get T-zones without voice? (I don't use voice on mine now). And are there limitations with T-zones? (Such as beejive? I thought I'd read IM apps don't work).