iPhone 1970 date glitch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SeanONeillMac, Feb 17, 2016.

1. SeanONeillMac macrumors newbie

SeanONeillMac

Hi Guys,

I decided to try the 1970 date thing on my phone to see how I could fix it myself and behold it is very simple disconnect the battery and it'll be working fine when you reconnect it.

But I also decided to get in contact with apple to see their reaction and they have offered to replace the phone for a €291 fee.

Now cogs turned in my head and told me that well if this is caused by software then surely they cannot press the charge over to me?
    What do you all think I'm normally really good at legal situations and I am not 100% sure on this but I have a feeling that it being a software issue means that technically they should replace it for free or even a significantly less price.

Can I get some opinions on this?

2. noobinator macrumors 601

3. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm pretty sure Apple has legally covered its bases with stuff like this.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Are you expecting Apple to give you a free replacement iPhone because you've bricked it on purpose?

5. SeanONeillMac thread starter macrumors newbie

SeanONeillMac

I'll just set this straight I'm not looking for a free device I can fix the device without a problem.

I am looking to see what Apple are willing to do and just ideas came into mind and I want to verify my ideas

6. bransoj macrumors 6502a

For the bug to kick in you have to manually change the date to one that has no real purpose so not sure why Apple warranty should cover someone being stupid or trying it on.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you had a believable reason for why you changed the date back to 1970 (other than "I knew it was going to break my phone, and I wanted to see if I could fix it myself"), I think that you might have a case.

The iPhone warranty says it does not cover damage caused by misuse. I think a point could made that what you did could be considered misuse.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Software didn't cause the bricking of the phone, you did. Now the process is a result of a bug in the code, but it requires an overt action by the consumer to do something that is completely out of the range of normal usage.

Apple shouldn't be the one on the hook to pay for your actions.

9. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I love how everyone is defending Apple. Changing the date on your phone should not brick the device, period. Maybe someone was looking for a specific day of the week of someone who was born in 1970, and they didn't know any better and thought the easiest way would be to set the date on their phone to that specific date, and see what day of the week it was.

10. SeanONeillMac thread starter macrumors newbie

SeanONeillMac

Okay I appreciate the answers and I'm getting a broader view on this and I agree with yous and disagree at the same time.

It's not exactly misuse of the software.
    Misuse would be piracy, jail breaking and software/hardware modifications.

To be honest there was a thing going around Facebook which looked official and seemed like it could work and I seen so many people on it that were stupid enough to try it for that reason.

But to be honest you can't really blame the intelligence of the consumer because of a post that looked legit.

i feel sorry for anyone who doesn't know how to open their phones to fix it but at the same time I agree that maybe they deserve it for being so gullible.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

I agree, it shouldn't brick the device, period.

And then you have this thread, where the OP specifically said he bricked his device on purpose.

Did it occur to you that the responses to this thread might be different if someone started with a different (legitimate) reason for having set the date?

I love how some people here find Apple guilty of everything, all of the time, and bitch when someone has a different opinion.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That would be understandable for the person who innocently discovered the bug but you can't really expect Apple to cover everyone who has read the news this week and have gone ahead and changed the date knowing full well it's going to brick their iPhone.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think that if escalated up the customer support channel, Apple would eventually replace the device for no cost.

14. SeanONeillMac thread starter macrumors newbie

SeanONeillMac

You can't say that it is the customers fault either tho because guess what the function to go back to that date is there completely accessible to anyone to do straight out of the box.
    It's a **** up Apple didn't know about and everyone seems to defend them.

We all learn from our mistakes and guess what having an open function like this accessible to everyone and having such a major bug in it sort of falls on apples head.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Very simple for who?

You?

Sure.

Not so simple for the average iPhone user though.

16. aristobrat, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016

aristobrat macrumors G4

And this bug been there undetected for how long, with millions of people using the phone, and nobody (Apple, millions of customers, security researches) discovering it until now?

At this point, it seems like the bug has only been reproduced by customers going back and changing the date .. on purpose .. after learning of this issue (like you did). So how is that not the customers fault?

Show me someone who accidentally was impacted by this bug, and I'll 100% defend that customer (in that Apple should replace the customers phone at Apple's cost).

But for what you did? Hell no. That's on you. I'm glad you were able to fix it yourself.

17. noobinator macrumors 601

I'd just google it?

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Why would you ever change the date of a device to 1970?

I'm a test engineer. In my line of work, this is the equivalent of going into the registry, changing a random value to 2, and rebooting.

It's as unwarranted.

19. bransoj macrumors 6502a

So said person knows how to fiddle around in their settings for something they've never had to do previously but cant just google what day said date was? Somewhat far fetched reasoning....i cant see any worthwhile reason to change the date to 1st Jan 1970!

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's a lot easier to just look it up in the Calendar app. :)

Photo 17-02-2016, 16 10 16.png

21. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Not all users are smart ;)

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I would make an Android/iPhone crack here…but I have and use iPhones so I will refrain. :D

23. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Most would say those that are technologically challenged prefer iOS over android. So it's more likely to happen to iPhone users

24. I7guy macrumors G5

Apple I'm sure is covered legally in the event software bricks the device. Having said that they probably will provide the expected customer service provided the phone hasn't been tampered with.

25. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My own experience (with some exceptions) tends to bear this out.