Iphone 1st gen battery dieing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yeaguy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. yeaguy macrumors newbie

i have a first gen iphone, as you know they werent released in Canada.. i live in toronto, but the battery is dying and i want to get it replaced.. im going to an apple store in chicago next week..

what do i need to do as this iphone is jailbroken... and when i bring it in, can i just bring the phone ??

what do i need to do so that i can get it replaced..

2. Amt macrumors regular

If it is jailbroken, Apple will have nothing to do with it since jailbreaking and unlocking an iPhone voids their warranty.

3. someguy7014 macrumors member

I'm not 100% sure, but i have been told you can only get warranty replacements if the phone belongs to an active AT&T plan.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

is the phone even still under warranty? if not, you will pay for a battery replacement anyhow. at that point, it shouldn't matter if you've jailbroken because it has nothing to do with a warranty and you're paying for a service.

if it is still under warranty, back it up and restore to unjailbroken...if you don't, they will.

doubt this is true. there is no AT&T in the UK, where the 1st gen iPhone was also released. does that mean there is no warranty in the UK?

5. yeaguy thread starter macrumors newbie

after running the serial it hasnt been activated yet.. but from reading around i can get a go plan or something from att, restore it ..

and they should replace it.. will that work?

6. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I've read posts from folks on other websites that claim apple can find out whether it was jailbroken or not, even after a restore. Supposedly restores don't actually completely erase the iPhone. You may want to consider just getting a new battery yourself. The battery may in fact be running low already because of the jailbroken apps running on it in the background, dragging it down every day.

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The warranty for iPhones in the UK quite likely has different terms and conditions than the warranty for iPhones sold in the USA. For example, if someguy7014's supposition is correct then in the UK warranty service might be contingent on being connected to an active O2 account.

In general though, a cell phone's warranty is only honored in the country in which it was originally sold, and the fact of the matter is that the 2G iPhone was never sold through any authorized retail channels in Canada at all.

The iPhone came with a 1-year warranty, so it is very possible that you're out of warranty already.

Apple does have a US$79 out-of-warranty battery replacement program, but if you try to use that program, you won't actually get the same iPhone back as you send in - they'll replace it with a different equivalent refurbished unit. If they discover that the phone you're sending in has been tampered with or damaged in any way other than the battery's diminished ability to hold a charge, it is ineligible for the battery replacement program.

Out-of-warranty service for any other repairable defects is available for a flat rate of US$199 for original 4GB and 8GB iPhones, and US$249 for original 16GB iPhones. Again, you won't actually get the same phone back as you send in for service under this program, and your phone must be in a good enough condition that after repairs it can be refurbished to a satisfactory condition for resale. If the phone has experienced any form of unrepairable damage such as water exposure, it will be ineligible even for out-of-warranty service.

8. yeaguy thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, from what im reading is that its 50%, im going to try the go phone from att, restore it and thena ctivate it as it has never been activated yet..

from entrying the serial on the apple site.