iPhone 1st Gen. Completely Frozen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ibanana, Aug 23, 2008.

1. ibanana macrumors 6502

Hi, My iphone 1st gen. is frozen with the apple logo since 2 days !!!

I've tried everything:

- drain the battery
    - plug it to my laptop
    - press home and power button for 10s
    - talk to it

but still frozen and very warm

Any suggestion?

Thanks !

PS: nothing unofficial has been done on this iPhone

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

If nothing unofficial has been done to it, I'd either take it to an Apple store if you have one near you or call tech support at apple and see if you can get a replacement.

3. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Leave it in a box for exactly seventeen days and seventeen nights

Then remove it from the boc, plug it into your laptop, and try as you might to get it into DFU mode (look on youtube as the directions are very sensitive)

Enjoy :)

4. Doju macrumors 68000

Plain and simple: replace it.

I had an identical problem, but with my 3G, and after 3 days of trying everything in the book (and even calling an Apple Representative and having HIM trying everything in the book) I took it to our local Rogers Store (my carrier) and not only did they replace it, they upgraded by 8gb black to a 16gb free of charge, to say sorry for the mishap.

All the best!

5. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

RESTORE IPHONE:
    Step-by-Step

1) Close all programs and restart computer.
    2) Open iTunes and plug in powered off iPhone with direct USB connection.
    3) If iTunes fails to connect to iPhone...continue to #4, if it does...restore.
    4) Shut DOWN iTunes again.
    5) Power OFF the iPhone & Disconnect from computer. (Power off two ways-one will work, hold home and sleep button until off or just hold sleep button until off)
    6) Hold down Home button & connect to computer using direct connected USB cable (keep holding down the home button until iTunes sees it).
    7) It should go into recovery mode and iTunes should recognise it.
    8) If you want to recover to previous software version, Hold Alt/Shift and click restore in iTunes. Then select the old update version.

DFU MODE:
    Step-by-Step

1. Turn the iPhone ON
    2. CONNECT it to the computer with a DIRECT USB connection.
    3. Make sure iTunes is open so you'll know when it enters DFU mode.
    4. HOLD the Power/Sleep-Wake button AND the Home button for 10 seconds.
    5. RELEASE only the Power/Sleep-Wake button and continue to hold the Home button.
    6. WAIT until iTunes recognizes the phone in DFU Restore mode (in Windows a bubble pops up saying it recognized new hardware "DFU Mode" or something to that effect)
    The last step may take SOME TIME, like, say, even 60 seconds or so.
    The screen should be OFF (black), if you see the "Connect to iTunes" logo, START OVER.
    It may take a few tries to do the steps just right, just reboot
    (hold both Power/Sleep-Wake AND Home until the Apple logo appears and the phone turns back on) then try again.
    7. Then restore the iphone

Good Luck

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

ususally things are cold when they are frozen..:D

7. ibanana thread starter macrumors 6502

SFC Archer Thanks a lot, the step by step worked, I'm restoring now.

8. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Glad I could of helped. Got tired of looking for assistance and different explanations so I typed it up in notepad to post for any and all. Copy it and save in your notepad or equivalent.

Gary

9. Plastikfear macrumors newbie

Precariously perched

I had jailbroken and installed an app I didn't like after a demo. I went online and was told to DL the iPhone Browser to add/remove files. The only option in there is to 'delete' a folder so I figured thats what the person meant when they said to use that program to do it. So I deleted the folder. Then later on, today I discovered the "manage downloads" in the 'manage' tab in Cydia. The app was still there. Oops! So I hit "uninstall" and it came up with an error which I half expected, remembering then that I had deleted the folder with all the stuff from the app from the phone previously. It said it couldnt uninstall the program. It asked to reboot the phone. So I selected 'reboot' and the next thing I know.. its stuck on the Apple logo for hours and hours.

None of the methods worked for me listed above. iTunes just refused to recognize the iPhone.

So here is what I did and, what its doing now..

* I powered the iPhone off by holding down the sleep/wake/power button and home button simultaneously

* when it went off, I connected to the computer

* iTunes was CLOSED, so it restarted automatically on its own when the iPhone was connected, finally recognizing the iPhone apparently.

* Then I chose "restore".

It is now currently downloading and update of some sort, then it says it will restore when that is done.. It looks like it is taking some time, but thats ok.. whatever works to fix this! Now I know what to do and not to do. I am not scared of the jailbreaking, you just have to be careful. I understand that now, and will be more careful.

I am crossing my fingers this works!

I just got the iPhone 3 days ago and love it immensely. I'm an AT&T employee and up until a few weeks ago, AT&T employees were not allowed to have iPhones on the free employee plans, so finally they had a new offer for managers to take advantage of that would allow us the iPhone. I've been wanting one for 2 years, since the 2G came out.. so I am very protective of it and its got to be one of the best, neatest phones out there... I have demo'd a lot of different phones at my work and I had been a Windows Mobile fan for a while but now I am starting to switch gears here.

My girlfriend has an iMac and covets it greatly. I'm not allowed to touch without permission.. hehe. Now I know why! They should be treated like babies. I'm ordering a better case and I have the Invisible Shield coming soon...

Plus I know the crap and BS that comes along with the iPhone as far as policies and politics go and know how hard it is with all the restrictions in place so I wanna be more careful this time around.

Cross your fingers for me, thanks!!

* update: iTunes still says its downloading some update, but the iPhone powered itself off during the process. I powered it back on, and then after about 5 minutes it rebooted itself and is back to the Apple logo (no longer showing the iTunes connect screen). I wonder what this means, what its doing, and if I'll have to re-do this whole thing again...

** update 2: didn't work. Nothing is happening. I am stuck on Apple logo, iTunes download finished but the screen went away, and now it doesn't recognize the phone. I've closed and re-opened, and repeated my steps above.... nada, zip, zilch.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

10. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Dude, start your own post instead of tacking onto some mildy related four-month-old one and you'll get more help from this community

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

And when he starts a new thread about this, you will say that there are threads on this already. Troll :rolleyes:

Plastikfear, try DFU mode.

12. doobi18 macrumors 6502

You are a perfect example of everything that is wrong with the internet. You try and appear righteous and only trying to do best for the others, whilst slandering other well-meaning members and making completely ungrounded and rude assumptions about their behaviour.

Disgusting.

13. rgvarma.26 macrumors newbie

I have done as you said , but when i have gone through the 6th step after holding home button it is saying that The iphone software update server could not be contacted.

So help me,

what can i do...