iPhone 1st Gen Owners: Did Dust Under Screen Develop Over Time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donster28, Aug 11, 2010.

1. donster28 macrumors 65816

Since the iPhone 4's LCD is fused with the glass just like the original iPhone, I was wondering if any of you "pioneering" owners who still have theirs lying around can chime in on this.

My replacement iPhone 4 has a perfect screen which I hope will stay the same. The first one had had a dust spot and a dead pixel straight from the box.

2. MelSori macrumors newbie

My dad's rocking the 2G iPhone now, no dust under screen.

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

No dust for either of the two original iPhones in our house. Both still work fine, a few rear case scratches on my husband's, but no other flaws and zero screen issues.

4. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I just checked mine and it looks like new. My phones are always carried in a pocket with no case or protective films. Naked and dust free. :)

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just stopped using an original iPhone, and it had no dust under the screen.

6. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

I had to get 1 iphone replaced by Apple due to this issue.

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

Yes dust could definitely get under the screen on the previous phones. I can't say for sure my 1st gen iPhone had that issue, but my 3G and 3GS definitely accumulated dust under the glass.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

You missed the point of the question... Like the iPhone 4, the first gen iPhone had the LCD fused to the glass. 3G and 3GS didn't. We all know 3G and 3GS could get dust. The question is can the iPhone 4? The OP was asking users of the original iPhone of their experiences due to the similarities in screen attachment.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Didn't know the original iphone's LCD was fused to the glass also. No wonder people have always been saying the build quality and materials for that phone was better than the 3G/3Gs.

10. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the input guys!

I am definitely in love with the screen now and I wish Apple will do this "fusing" thing moving forward. I really hate dust under there and this should be the end of it....that is if the factories are careful enough not to embed anything in there when sealing them. But hey, that's where exchanges come in, right?

This just shows that Apple QC really listen to complaints and monitor returns and exchanges. :)

11. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

I hear ya! I don't know why Apple abandoned the process from the first gen iPhone...it might have been for some important reason.

My 3G is full of dust now, mainly coming from the bottom. But I don't care, now that I have my dust free, new iPhone 4!

The home button is a great contributor to this. And keeping the iPhone in the pants pockets only aggrevates this I found. Did a little experiment a while back: my friend's 3G was not kept in the pants, while mine was. Mine ended up with tons of dust compared to his after a couple of months.

12. chembox macrumors 6502a

Even though Apple is all about lowering costs for the company/shareholders, I enjoyed the cleaning cloth and paperclip that came with the box when I bought the first iPhone. :)

13. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

The glorified paper clip still comes with the iPhone 4 in countries where there are multiple carriers :)

14. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'm still using my original iPhone and haven't been using a case for two plus years. I don't have any dust under the screen at all.

15. WilliamG macrumors 604

I didn't miss the point. As I stated, my first-gen didn't have any dust under the display at all when I used it. Sure I can't speak for now, but I can say I use my phones heavily. No trouble with my first-gen, but lots of trouble within just a few weeks with my 3G and 3GS.

16. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

I rocked a 2G for about 3 years until I upgraded to the iPhone 4 a month ago. I never got any dust under the screen, but got a few ugly rows of dead pixels in the middle of the screen. Looked really ugly, and lucky for me blocked the same exact row where SMS messages are composed.

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

No dust under my screen on my 2G.

18. DeLoMan macrumors regular

I never had ANY dust under my 2G screen, however I did get a lot of dust under my 3GS screen and had it replaced once because of this.

19. nwbusa macrumors regular

I've my my 2G for 3 years, no dust and still looks like new. Never in a case, just an anti-glare screen protector.

20. transpo1 macrumors member

21. newskin macrumors 6502

I've had my 2G since it came out and have never had any dust under glass. My first 4G got some dust under screen within 5 days of purchase, took it back and recieved a replacement which i've had for about a couple weeks now and luckily have not seen any dust under screen yet.

22. painholic macrumors member

I don't have the original iphone, but I do have a brownish dust on my ipod touch 1G

23. fobfob macrumors 6502

No case and no dust, over 2 years later. Waiting on my iPhone 4, finally a worthy upgrade!