Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seand1111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
SL, Texas
I am kicking around the idea of upgrading myself to a New 3G iPhone when I get my wife one. My question is this;

I have a 1st Gen 16GB phone right now with 2.2. When I upgrade and plug into iTunes, will iTunes transfer all my songs, apps, contacts, etc. from the 1st Gen to the 3G?

I know its a basic question but I could not narrow a search down here to find the info.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I am kicking around the idea of upgrading myself to a New 3G iPhone when I get my wife one. My question is this;

I have a 1st Gen 16GB phone right now with 2.2. When I upgrade and plug into iTunes, will iTunes transfer all my songs, apps, contacts, etc. from the 1st Gen to the 3G?

I know its a basic question but I could not narrow a search down here to find the info.

Yes, including SMS messages and your custom words in the dictionary. Just make sure you do a backup of your 1st Gen before restoring back to the new iPhone...

seand1111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
SL, Texas
Yes, including SMS messages and your custom words in the dictionary. Just make sure you do a backup of your 1st Gen before restoring back to the new iPhone...

Thanks, I thought so but just wanted to make sure. Guess I will order new phones now.

seand1111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
SL, Texas
Enjoy your new iPhones!

Well after I posted that I went to the ATT premier site and put 2 3g phones in my cart. But before I could check out I looked down at my 1st ten 16gb sitting there looking as good as she did the day she was new and decided I could not part with her or even upgrade her yet. So I bought only one for my wife right now. We will see if I still want one after I play with hers. If so, I will get one then and save my 2g for a rainy day or when the 3g Does break.....

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Actually, that's the same that happened to me. I upgraded my wife's iPhone for Christmas and was going to stay with my perfectly fine 1st Gen 4GB. However, after seeing the GPS in action and the significantly faster 3G then talking to AT&T and finding out that my company discount kicks in if I have a 3G (I'm the primary line on the account), I "gave in" and "made the sacrifice"...:rolleyes:

I'd recommend the Power Support Air Jacket if you're looking for a hard skin for your wife's iPhone.

seand1111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
SL, Texas
Actually, that's the same that happened to me. I upgraded my wife's iPhone for Christmas and was going to stay with my perfectly fine 1st Gen 4GB. However, after seeing the GPS in action and the significantly faster 3G then talking to AT&T and finding out that my company discount kicks in if I have a 3G (I'm the primary line on the account), I "gave in" and "made the sacrifice"...:rolleyes:

I'd recommend the Power Support Air Jacket if you're looking for a hard skin for your wife's iPhone.

That is a good case ;)

Hmm...not so sure about that case.......she is going to need something that will allow the phone "protection" from a 3ft fall.........its gonna be hard to find that :D (She is a bit rough on phones)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.