Iphone 2.0 Address book laggy as hell

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theshadow07039, Jul 12, 2008.

1. theshadow07039 macrumors member

Hey does anyone else have their address book be extremely slow and unresponsive especially in the new contact app? Do you guys suggest I do a restore

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

For me it is unresponsive after initially loading it up. But after just a few seconds, it works fine.

3. chrisblore macrumors regular

Yes it's very unresponsive. I'm not sure what they've done to it but it seems to be a massive oversight from Apple and I can't believe they've released the 2.0 firmware with the contact list in this state. Several people have already commented that they've experienced this. I've submitted a bug report using the form at www.apple.com/feedback

4. Pooshka macrumors 65816

and that contacts icon is totally unnecessary imo

5. luckystephens macrumors member

luckystephens

Once I open Contacts it takes about 4 seconds for it to become responsive. Selecting a contact seems delayed as well. I'm living with it because of the Search function.

6. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem. I really hope they fix this.

7. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

You guys have to post on which version of the Iphone you have and which version of the firmware you have..

Remember the Iphone 3g has a higher version of the 2.0 firmware.

Some of you could still be using the beta 2.0 firmware that came out the day before yesterday...and somepeople are still trying to upgrade to 2.0 from Itunes.

So please post what your configuration is.

8. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

9. aphexii macrumors 6502

Yep same here. Thought it was just me.

I was calling it a sticky contact list because it seems to pause from time to time.

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i have the same thing, and i also reported it to apple through feedback. hopefully they will fix it soon if enough people complain about it. Though it is a great phone, i do expect the UI to be a little faster, and less stickier than now.

11. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Ok, here we go yet again.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 5A347 SOME PEOPLE DOWNLOADED ON THURSDAY COMPARED TO 5A347 THAT CAN ALSO BE DOWNLOADED FROM ITUNES FROM YESTERDAY (11th) ONWARDS.

They were packaged slightly differently. Thats it. If your iPhone says you have 5A347, then you have 5A347. It's that simple. If any company were stupid enough to make different builds with the same build number then it would make a complete mockery of the incremental build number system to the point that Apple may as well not bother using it at all for all the difference it would make.

12. View macrumors regular

is it because of mobileme?? I didn't notice it before, but now I have mobileme setup and it's a lot slower than before. Anyone who doesn't have mobileme setup experience this issue too?

13. theshadow07039 thread starter macrumors member

im sooo mad....this is a huge annoying glitch that defeats the purpose of a smooth ui god!

14. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I've noticed several aspects of my 2G iPhone slower since updating to 2.0.

15. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iTouch 1.1.4 (pWN'd + JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

You know, you may be on to something! I wonder if it is checking for updates every time you open it ...

16. oldrsk8r macrumors newbie

I've seen the same thing with Contacts. I have 249 in my list. I figure the delay is due to the iPhone loading/sorting the names in combination with the software that supports the search functionality since I didn't notice this before the 2.0 upgrade. You can bet Apple tested it with about 10 contacts in the list. I was fine with the little flick-bar along the right for narrowing in on a name.

17. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I would also like to know if someone doesn't have MobileMe and is still having the lag, I hate the contacts list its sooooooo slow.

18. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Switch into airplane mode, and then turn WiFi off and see it that fixes the slowness.

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Should also try turning off 'Fetch New Data' in sys preferences. There may be a bug whereby the Contacts 'fetches' for new changes i.e. refreshes everytime its launched thinking you have an exchange account or mobile me

Then again this may not be the case and i'm probably just talking out my ass

20. jsgreen macrumors 6502

I am also suffering from the lags, I thought it might be because I have 4300 contact records, but the 2000 songs search just fine in the iPod application, so I don't think it is caused by the number of contacts.

I don't use MobileMe (just sync directly to Outlook on my PC) - so that's not necessarily the cause.

How large are your contact databases?

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Touch too

Same problem here - but I'm on a ipod touch with the 2.0 upgrade.

No Mini Me (sorry, Mobile Me :)) here

386 contacts, FWIW

22. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Same problem

Iphone 3G 16 gig white, and it definately lags...

FWIW I have about 100 contacts, and do sync using ActiveSync.

23. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I think this is most apparent to the folks that had the joy of working on a much zippier iPhone 1.x

2.0 just doesn't compare. I often find myself wondering if I actually touched the right contact, then seconds later it responds.

24. mdkrebs11 macrumors member

For those of you having problems with the huge lag in the Address Book (i.e. Contacts), has the 2.0.1 update helped at all? This bug is one of the most annoying things about the iphone for me. I was really hoping the update would fix the problem but I see no difference whatsoever. When I select Contacts, it takes 4-6 seconds just to display the names and then it is locked for another 3-4 seconds before I can start to scroll or search. It is a joke to take almost 10 seconds just to look up a contact. Does the number of contacts in the phone affect the response time? I sync with Outlook so every contact I have is in the phone. Probably over 2,000 or so. Is the lag due to the fact it has to index so many names? There is a good 3-5 second delay when I try to open up a SMS as well (even after the update). I never had any lag issues with my previous blackberry phones. And yes I have shut down and restarted the phone multiple times hoping this would solve the problem. Love this iPhone but it sure is buggy - even with the update yesterday. Anyone else have this problem and find a fix?

25. millerrh macrumors 6502

Same problem here. Came here hoping to find a solution and it looks like this is a wide problem with no fix. :( Keep us posted if a solution appears!