iPhone 2.0 Firmware Video Walkthrough

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 2, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gizmodo posts a brief video walkthrough of some of the new features found on the 2.0 firmware.

According to the site, testing has not revealed any obvious errors, though content filtering is not yet working. The App Store, of course, is also not yet online.

Apple is expected to release the 2.0 Firmware update on July 11th as a free update to current iPhone owners.

Article Link

2. matt18 macrumors newbie

3. iCAR macrumors member

I hope they release the 2.0 update on july 10th, that way I can have my old phone update before I get the new one......

4. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ah! installing 2.0 must crack iPhone screens!

5. AlphaAnt macrumors regular

AlphaAnt

It certainly looks like it. A sign of true quality.

6. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

2.0 is coming on July 11th 2008, and not a second earlier. :)

R-Fly

7. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Clipboard support (certainly in the works--maybe touch-and-hold like Apple does for saving emailed photos) and file storage/browsing (hopefully in the works) are the missing pieces now.

8. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Agreed. Anything of true quality is impossible to break. The laws of matter should not apply.

9. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

watching the video- the crack disappears and reappears, it must be a reflection.

10. Templex macrumors regular

:confused:

What kind of reflection stays in the same place on the screen even as the dude moves it about?

11. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

No, you can see it most of the way through, it's just at some angles it's easier to see because of the way the light reflects off the crack. There's definitely a crack there.

12. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

It's there for the entire movie. It's a crack.

13. RasaFrasa macrumors member

... That's probably why it's his development phone and has 2.0 on it. :confused:

Just a guess.

14. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

15. iVoid macrumors 65816

If you're planning on selling your old iPhoen, you'd be better off not upgrading to 2.0. Until there's a jailbreak/unlock app for 2.0, 1.1.4 is worth more.

16. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

Does the iPhone 2.0 Firmware allow you to choose which email to send from? Just noticed the "From:" portion on the video. Any know if this will also work for .Mac (MobileMe) Aliases?

17. craigverse macrumors 6502

craigverse

I have a crack in my screen and it's virtually invisible when you look at it dead on. You can only really see it from angles.

18. matznentosh macrumors regular

The screen shot for the advanced tab says "Use iTunes for internet music playback". Does that mean 2.0 allows internet or rather streaming radio from web sites?

This is the main reason I've held off on buying an iPhone. I listen on my crappy Treo 700p to David Byrne's music stream from his web site, and I couldn't do that on the old iPhone. In fact, when I'm on a long car ride, I log on to one of my favorite internet radio stations, especially if it is a local station, since 50 miles out reception disappears on a regular radio...

19. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I dropped my phone numerous times and never once did it crack but if it did I wouldnt blame Apple I would blame myself.

20. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

It will probably be cracked within a week. Then my iPhone will be worth more on eBay as the two-dot-oh software is more desirable for the app store and other features. Then mine will have an advantage over most of the listed phones and hopefully sell for more. I will just have to act fast.

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

does this walkthrough cover anything apple's video tutorial doesn't? What's the point? :confused:

22. qubex macrumors 6502

qubex

He had to crack his iPhone to install the firmware, apparently.

23. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Well, there is at least one really cool thing this video revealed, a request many of us have had since the beginning: we can now use custom Reply To/From addresses in Mail!!! FINALLY!!!!

This means I'll be able to route my domain's email to my MobileMe account (to take advantage of push email) and reply to mail from the MobileMe account, without having to actually give out my MobileMe address. FINALLY!!!! ;)

24. chrisjonny macrumors member

chrisjonny

yea it is in a earlier post on gizmodo he posted an article saying he cracked it in his pocket lol