iPhone 2.0 - SCRATCHES?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fivepoint, Jun 10, 2008.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

My #1 concern with the new iPhone isn't the $10 boost in monthly data expense... but rather the hardware. One of my favorite parts of my old iPhone is that how incredibly durable it is. I've been carrying it in my pocket and throwing it on my desk now for about 10 months, and it has hardly a scratch on it.

Has anyone found any information on the net on the durability of the new black/white plastic back of the iPhone 2.0? I realize that they aren't even available, but are there any guesses from educated individuals or maybe people who were at the show who got to see it and can guess as to its durability?

Thanks!

2. Red-red macrumors 6502

The front is exactly the same, the only difference is the back that with it being a high gloss finish I can't see showing up unless very deep.

Think to the ipods with high gloss finishes.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Think about it.

Would Apple REALLY use something that scratches easily on its precious iPhones? Sure it might smudge, but at least you can always just whipe your phone and it's good as new.

You don't have to really worry.

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Didn't those iPods scratch like CRAZY? It was especially noticeable on the black. I have a white Macbook and if you look closely you can see all these fine scuff marks. It's not something that bothers me too much but I know there are people who hate that.

However with a phone that I'd be carrying around a lot more often than a laptop, I'd be worried about scratches (if it is indeed the same glossy material used on previous iPods).

5. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Er... yes, they would and have and do :rolleyes:

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

um yes the HAVE. do you not remember the ipods before the ipt or iphone:rolleyes:

7. jonspeaks22 macrumors newbie

of course it'll scratch. my ipod has scratches all over. :(

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

9. elbirth macrumors 65816

hahahahahahaha

edit: you edited before I replied. they did it to their precious iPod, and they seem to be doing it to their precious iPhone now as well. Until July 11, there's no reason to believe it WON'T easily scratch

10. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I dont understand the black plastic myself. if you are worried about scratching, white might be better.

11. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

This is EXACTLY why I made this thread. When I bought my first iPod, it had the shiny chrome back on it. I was so disgusted with how quickly the scratches took over the back, that I downgraded to the aluminum iPod mini. I was much happier, and didn't have to 'baby' the thing so much.

I definitely don't want to 'baby' my iPhone and worry about scratches. Is there any real-world information on this yet?

12. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

Like the back of my older ipods?

13. donster28 macrumors 65816

this is a serious concern...anyone knows?

i too am concerned about the plastic back. owning several ipods, i can attest that the shinny plastic apple uses up to this day scratches or scuffs really easily. "scratch" might be the wrong word to describe this. i take care of my ipods like babies but the "swirl marks" cannot be avoided. the more you wipe, the more you get these annoying marks (like swirl marks on a car)...and yes, there's no way to remove them.

ok, call me a perfectionist but it's annoying to know that the moment a bright light shines on the affected area, you will witness the most disgusting thing you will ever see on a somewhat perfect plastic surface....i just hate swirl marks!!!

my guess is, in order to keep costs down, the plastic was the perfect choice. i mean c'mon, do you actually believe the reception is the only reason they chose to use a plastic back?

i will always be curious until i see actual shots of bright light shinning on the new iphone back (at an angle). this is the only way to tell.

oh and contrary to what people say, white hides scratches more than the black. do the experiment yourself and see.

just my 2 cents. :)

14. g8bo macrumors member

g8bo

that's why i gonna buy the white one! ^^

15. donster28 macrumors 65816

16. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

17. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

18. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Err....or you could give it the Krylon Touch, either way you will look like a Douche.

If they built it durable in the first place there would be no need for aftermarket add ons.

19. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I read on HowardForums that this phone *might* be eligible for insurance from AT&T at $4/month.

This is pure speculation based how AT&T treats other PDA's so I would take this with a grain of salt (Because AT&T are treating this phone as a regular PDA) . However if it proves true that could relieve some concern.

20. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

"Now that the iPhone 3G has been officially unveiled, we’ve been seeing more pictures and hearing further details about the rear casing from developers who have spent hours with it, and the verdict is this: get ready to invest in protective film and/or a case. Unlike the original iPhone, which has proved much more resilient to the sorts of scratches and scuffs that plague iPods, the iPhone 3G’s shell is indeed just glossy plastic with a thin layer of clear coating. It’s not ceramic, as some might have guessed, and not covered in a magic material that won’t scuff: as a result, you can expect to see marks similar to the ones on first-generation iPod nanos and fifth-generation iPods, all over again. The black version, as shown here, picks up fingerprints and smudges at an impressive rate; we wish we’d been able to take some pictures without the smudges. Ironically, the white plastic color that Apple discontinued for iPods may wind up being the most attractive color for new iPhones, especially after spending a few days in a pocket or purse."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sold my 8GB iPhone on eBay for $400 on the sunday before 2.0 announcement. Now It looks like I might have to return to eBay and buy another 1st gen iPhone for $100-$200 when they start going down more. That way I can avoid the extra $240 over 2 years, and the ghastly scratches and smudges on the back. The GPS is all I'll be missing. No big deal.

21. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

My iPhone scratches

Carry your iPhone in your pocket with some keys for about a year and you will get a few scratches on it!

22. zen macrumors 68000

zen

So what are these invisible shields that people are talking about? Anyone got a link?

23. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

why not use the same black material thats on the iPod touch?? Imagine how cool that would be with a tiny glowing apple logo on the back :)

24. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

Bummer, I am missing my old iPhone more and more. Too bad they couldn't keep the same form factor and just add the new items (I Know the metal hindered reception, but there had to be a way around that)

25. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83