iPhone 2.0, SMS status AND forward SMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M. Malone, Jul 1, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Hello,

I wanted to know if iPhone 2.0 will support SMS status reports. I understand this isn't something needed in the US because it seems to not be supported by carriers.

However, in most of the world, the SMS status is very useful. Does anyone know if we will have this feature?

Also, how about SMS forwarding?

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Currently it doesn't have SMS forwarding.

What is SMS status?

3. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

I don't see this level of detail coming out until after the 11th. :mad:

4. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It wouldn't surprise me if someone came up with a 3rd party SMS app allowing things like forwarding. The current one won't let you even store/delete individual messages. I'd even pay for it just to get rid of those speech bubbles..

5. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

You get a txt to tell you the message was delivered and [on some networks] a message when it has been read

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Well, from the looks of the SDK API, it doesn't seem like there's anything to grab SMS...so a 3rd party wouldn't be possible (unless using a lower toolchain and jailbreaking).

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

O2 UK don't even support delivery reports (status) without adding a special code manually to the start of the outgoing message.

You can count on a plethora of third party SMS apps coming out!

Edit: They'd be separate to the internal SMS app.

8. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

o2 doesnt support delivery reports anyway

you have to put *0# in front of every message

EDIT: I'm too slow...

9. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I apologize for not explaining.

Basically when you send an SMS to someone, you get a delivery status report if the message was delivered to the phone.

Sometimes you send an SMS and the recipient's phone is off or out of service, as soon as his phone obtains a signal or is turned on, you are notified that your message has been delivered.

Blackberry supports this, when you send a message, it first gets a check mark, once the recipient's phone receives it, the letter D appears on top of the check mark which lets you know the message was delivered.

10. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I suspect there are ways. In the simplest case just read the db file (which is just sqlite and presumably available) and allow editing it... let the original app grab the incoming message.

11. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

AT&T currently does SMS status for my Nokia (I'm in the US), but I have it turned on only for MMS's, not regular SMS's. I don't think it is available for the iPhone currently, I guess we would know after the 2.0 firmware comes out?

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Applications can only edit within their own sandbox...which doesn't cover the SMS db file.

Ahh. Sounds either too cluttery or whatnot for Apple to put it in.

13. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Not entirely - they can get various bits of the phone.. although probably not everywhere. There are a number of projects in hand that require access to the phone settings directories for example, and at least one file browser in development I know of.

Whether that allows access to the db file I don't currently know - I know that of the early 2.0 betas there were no real restrictions, other than running as an unprivileged user (in those you could run your own apps with a fake dev certificate, but apple fixed that), so they've been added later and I won't get chance to check until apple decide they want my $99.

14. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

You better watch that, SMS status messages count against your plan so you will be using 2 messages for every message you send!

15. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

then people will really be complaining when they have overages and are required to pay $30 for unlimited texts.