iPhone 2.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by G5Unit, Oct 17, 2007.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I was just think this over. The next iPhone will be amazing!

What more could you ask for in a phone:

3.5 inch screen
    16gb storage
    3G data(mostly likely move the iTunes Store to 3G too)
    3 megapixel camera
    3rd party apps
    Best music player on a phone ever
    A2DP Stereo Profile
    $399 or less

These are again just my predictions for the iPhone 2.0.

P.S. This is great for us americans, over in Europe we know you already have these sort of things;)

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Why does everyone think because what the best / standard that is out now, will be on the next iPhone?

iPhone 2.0 won't be out until late late 2008, and possibly Summer 2009.

You have to remember more than likely iPhone 2.0 will come out when the current iPhone ATT contracts start to expire.

Next iPhone probably will have 32GB, 5MP camera, 4G, etc.

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I disagree. My view is that we will see it by the end of March 2008.

4. ajl917 macrumors 6502

Why would you release V2 of a product not even a year after V1?

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

So Apple just released the most biggest hyped product of the year, and they're going to release the next version of it in the next 5 months?

With what technology? A 2.1 MP camera and EDGE EXTREME?

6. pjh macrumors regular

pjh

Other phone manufacturers are frantically playing catch-up today, but they will close the gap within the next 6 months or so. In 12 months time the current iphone will no longer be revolutionary, in my opinion Apple need to keep the iphone brand constantly ahead of the other big players, at least until they can secure a larger market share. At no point does Apple want to run the risk of the iphone becoming "just another phone".

7. dodonutter macrumors regular

This is the only thing holding back from buying an iPhone as soon as they are released here in the UK. If the v2 is out within a few months which i feel it may then I want to wait, but im having issues holding back from getting the v1. TBH the only thing i want from the phone it doesn't currently have is more storage. 16GB would do it for me.

Problem with apple is you never know what cool features they are going to come out with next and they never tell you when they are going to release new products.

BTW how many months does it take for the FCC to certify new phones as we would at least have that amount if time from learning about the new model to actually being able to buy it

8. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

The end of March 2008 will be 9 months after the release of the original iPhone in the U.S.A.

3G and 16GB.

9. shecky Guest

shecky

apple's average product updates are between 180 and 275 days. why do you think they will go 700+ days before updating the iPhone?

i think we will see something 1Q 2008 - that will put them in the sweet spot of around 180 - 270 days.

10. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Remember that everything will have to be approved by the FCC. And it seems that Apple will want to announce the product itself rather than it getting leaked out during the FCC process.

So I'd say a 1Q08 announcement might not be out of the question, but a Summer '08 release is most likely the earliest we'd actually get our hands on it.

11. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

In the mobile phone world it is very common for upgrades to come at 6mo to 1yr. Look at the Nokia N95..feb 07 and now 0ct 07 for 3g model, Cingular 8525 to 8925(high end windows mobile) in 1 year. Blackberry 8800 to 8820 in 6 months.
    I am looking forward to the new model as it will surely have some nice revisions over the version 1.

12. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

(Except for the 16GB) So do we :confused::confused:

Just not on the iPhone.

And neither do they, actually.

13. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

People seem to forget that the iPhone is still a very new product. I know we will eventually see another iPhone, but people need to stop thinking it will be in a few months. If Apple were to release a brand new iPhone in January of 08 it would be bad for them. Think about it, by January there will likely be over 2 million iPhones sold in the U.S. Who is Apple going to sell version 2 to? There will be 2m people with phones that are only 6 months old or newer that won't be ready to buy another iPhone for at least 6-12 more months. It is like Apple going and releasing a new iPod Nano and new iPod touch in February. It simply wouldn't make sense for sales. Most people I know keep a phone for 12-24 months and I feel that that majority of cell phone owners are the same. This means a new phone before June/July of 08 just wouldn't make sense. I don't think we will see a new iPhone til late 2008 or mid 2009. At that time there will be new features, more storage, and likely a somewhat new look. I do believe we will see an update iPhone in January at MacWorld, but the only update will be 16GB storage.

14. paulo999 macrumors member

A basic capacity upgrade becomes a no brainer only when a 16gb chip comes out. Re working form factor to fit 2 8 gig chips wont happen.

15. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

yea as long as they keep the core functionality upgradable throughout each generation of iPhone I think it'll be fine. The other companies are definitely clutching it to release better phones.

16. hidehide macrumors 6502

3MP only?? I bought my cellphone 1.5 year ago, and it already has 3.0mp already. Get at least 5MP...

17. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

How about Video at any megPuxels????

18. taybo20 macrumors regular

taybo20

fact of the matter is that there will probably be a version 2 next year. However, when my contract ends in 2009 version 3 or 4 will be out. So I'll be perfectly happy missing out on version 2 by then. its just a continuous thing. the people that get version 2 will be getting version 4 or 5.

19. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

If it is going to take them till Feb to get a SDK out it seems like they are a bit busy. All the new hardware they just pushed out along with Leopard....now getting the SDK and support......well not sure they have secretly been putting together the next iPhone.

Not saying it isn't being planned but just not that it is top priority.

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

They have been spreading themselves quite thin...hopefully 2008 will be a year of cleaning up the mess round Apple :)

21. beeeen macrumors member

I totally agree with you.

Apple would be really stupid if they released a new phone within a year of the first phone. People are still buying the iPhone even with the "problems". I'm thinking about buying one in early/late december, and I know if they released one in summer that is better I would be very upset. I think an announcement in summer of 08 is expected, but nothing until about a year from now. I would be okay with that.

22. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Agreed.

Finally, someone else with common sense.

23. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I totally agree with you. Except I don't think it will be as late as mid 2009. I think apple will focus on software updates (SDK) for the time being. 16GB version in Jan. 08 and then a 3G version in June or so (1 year anniversary). People need to remember that it hasn't even been released outside the US yet. That is in Nov. Do you honestly believe they are going to turn around and release a version 2 two months later. Doubt it.

24. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

People thought a $200 price drop in 2 months was crazy...

I'd be surprised if Apple is still selling the current iPhone by March 2008.

25. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

They lowered the price due to the fact they want to sell 10,000,000.

Sorry, you're not going to run a company where you sell probably about 5,000,000 phones after the holidays are set and done, only to have a new iPhone released within the following months.

Apple is going to play it smart. They're going to let at least 1.5 years go by.