iPhone 2.1 Push Update in Sept, New Features?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bacaramac, Jun 26, 2008.

1. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Since I am assuming that Apple must release software 2.1 in order to give us the Push feature for IM, etc. Don't you think Apple will include some additional features.

Maybe this is the reason we haven't seen iChat, because they want to wait for the push noitification service prior to releasing it. I still want front camera, but that is hardware so I have given up until Gen 3 iPhone.

Some of the possibilities:

A2DP Bluetooth Profile
    Cut/Paste
    iChat

Thoughts anyone?

2. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I really hope we start to see a massive ramping up of new features in the firmware now the SDK and App Store are finished. There's twenty really obvious things that need fixing, and they really should all be doable in one update.

Phazer

3. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Another thought on MMS!!

Do you think the reason that MMS is not on the iPhone could be related to the inability to have push notifications? Maybe Apple is looking to implement MMS in a different manner then how it is done today to perserve battery life/CPU cycles. Maybe this could be another feature coming with "2.1" when Apple roles out their Push Service on the iPhone.

4. Cool6324 macrumors member

No, MMS is just a text message with media.

5. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Not going to happen. If we don't have it now, after a full year, we're not getting it. The current phone's Bluetooth chip supports it, it just never got turned on.

Will be nice to see what they come up with next, though. Unless they just let the App Store developers take over, and stop working on it themselves.

6. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I don't expect Apple to release too many new features this year. I think they are relying on the Apps Store to draw in people instead of Apple releasing better updates. I wish they would update the iPhone with more common functionality, but I don't really see it anytime soon.

7. ChrisWilder07 macrumors regular

Some Thoughts.....

I say these things things could/should happen:

- iChat (w/ push notification)
    - Bluetooth that can work with other phones/computers
    - Copy/Paste
    - MMS NEEDS to go on the iPhone/iPhone 3G.... that is a must.... if it has a full blown internet that I think it should have MMS.... this way... if you get a MMS with a picture... you can just hold the picture and save it.... good thought.
    - Better Camera(w/ Video recording)

Ya... so that's about it but if i think of more... i'll edit it... keep ur eyes open

8. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Isn't SMS already push?

If iChat were to come out, it would have to be from Apple (I'm guessing the name is copyright)...which means they could have easily put iChat anytime considering SMS is the same thing...

9. yoavcs macrumors regular

Unfortunately you are a bit confused.

The push notification service will go live with firmware version 2.0 coming out in July. But, it will only be available to Apple themselves. How do you think Apple is implementing MobileMe push services on the iPhone?

General support for 3rd party developers will only open up around September since the SDK for the push service is still in-flux. That is why Forstall stated it was going out for dev testing in July and will be available September: by Sept they will have the SDK finalized and will enable third-party apps to be sold that utilize the feature.

I also suspect they are using this as a form of field-test: get the service out there in the controlled environment of an Apple only MobileMe and if all goes smooth allow 3rd parties to use it after a few months.

10. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Everything you say sounds good, but do you have any concrete evidence that supports this? I understand Push with MobileMe, but assuming that SMS is push (per the previous poster), what makes you so sure that MobileMe couldn't be implemented with out this new push notification service?

Well, either way, I am just hoping for new features down the road and hope Apple doesn't give up like WM phones. Does Windows ever provide any good new features on their mobile platform outside of new versions (example WM5 to WM6)?

11. synthetickittie macrumors regular

the new "push" feauter will be nothing at all new for applications made by apple. It is simple one process that runs in the background listening for updates.. apple already has this application running on all iPhones, but in September they are allowing all other developers to add to what this one application gets sent and listens for.

12. mattrobs macrumors member

Now they've got the monster iPhone OS 2.0 out the door; now that they've finally got all the business features ticked (you can imagine how long that took), it's a good assumption to say the September update will be a juicy, feature-ridden update. It's obvious they wanted to do more for the 2.0 (see how many times they pushed the deadline back), but didn't have the time and resources.

13. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Well, and supposedly they already have push email with Yahoo (although I've heard it doesn't work well).

But once the SDK version of the Push service is approved for 3rd parties, then a new update will probably go out.

14. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

But yeah, push has always been there (SMS, I think).

It's just in September, developers can use it.