iPhone 2.2 10MB OTA download limit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmelgar, Nov 27, 2008.

1. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I was excited to hear that version 2.2 included the ability to download podcasts over the air. But now that I have it I'm more and more disappointed in the release to the point of wanting to revert to 2.1 or jailbreak.

I used to stream video podcasts with 2.1 by accessing the RSS feed. NBC Nightly News in particular I could stream either using Wifi or 3G.

With 2.2 it now gives an error message, "this movie format is not supported". Even though it was with 2.1.

Now 2.2 forces me to download the whole thing before I can watch it. And usually iTunes is reporting that the podcast hasn't been updated for today while the RSS feed shows that it has. So I often can't watch the podcast until a day late, which is not useful.

Even worse, I was away from home and I learned that there is a 10MB limit on downloads over the cell network. No apps, no updates, no podcasts which are larger than 10MB.

What gives? I bought an iPhone 3G, I agreed to terms of service spelled out in great detail from AT&T. Nowhere did it state that downloads would be limited to a measly 10MB when I can get 2mb/sec download speeds.

Thats like saying you can have a fast pipe, but you're not allowed to use it for anything useful.

The only options seem to be revert back to 2.1 or jailbreak and use podcaster.

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

You should know by now, every new feature the iPhone comes out with will have strings attached (unless you jailbreak). Nevertheless, that 10 MB download limit is bogus. Not anything Apple related, but I have downloaded files much larger than 10 MB over 3G on my iPhone before (using the download option on Folders) and my phone is not jailbroken.

3. greggov macrumors member

a 10MB OTA limit for apps was announced when the iPhone 3G was announced (at 11:10, when discussing App store)

I'm sure it's not up to Apple. I bet at&t made them do it. I guess for apps it doesn't really matter, since most are under 10MB. For podcasts though I can see that it may be a little frustrating, but I bet if they allowed podcasts over 10MB to be downloaded over the cell network, they'd have to allow apps do be downloaded the same way, even further slowing down at&t's network...

4. synagence macrumors 6502a

Webbalert is like that .... can download on iphone and watch but can't just click in itunes app and stream....weird