iPhone 2.2 Feature...Free Starbucks ATT WiFi Without Login?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendall015, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Kendall015 macrumors regular

I experienced something today that may be a feature of the new 2.2 firmware, but I want others to confirm.

I went to Starbucks for the first time in well over a week, and when I was playing on the internet on my iPhone, I noticed that I was browsing using AT&T's WiFi without logging in. In the past I had to go through the process of typing in my phone number and waiting for a special text message every single time I wanted to connect, but I didn't have to do anything at all today. Is this a new feature of the 2.2 firmware, the AT&T WiFi routers, or is the router at this Starbucks just configured wrong?

2. Stratus Fear macrumors 6502

It's probably just that Starbucks. I was using the free Wifi on 2.2 at my local shop (while waiting in the drive-thru :D long line) and I still had to authenticate with my phone number.

3. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I wish this were the case- I went to Starbucks today and had to follow the usual log in.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I ad to authenticate today at my local Starbucks, so either the router at yours was misconfigured and everyone is getting free WiFi, or you may have been on a stray, open non-Starbucks WiFi access point without knowing it.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This has always annoyed me with the cellular company's hotspots -- T-Mobile ones are also like this. It would be really nice if there were some mechanism whereby it could recognize a phone that belonged to the system and log you in automatically, since it's such a nuisance to do the login on a phone and it's not necessarily persistent.

6. Kevrani macrumors newbie

That's strange, because in the UK, the two Wifi hotspot providers record your iPhone's MAC address, so you only need to authenticate the once

7. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Mine does the same some how it logs on my university and any Starbucks without log in.

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I can confirm this too. Went to Starbucks yesterday and it jumped right on Wifi without login required. I initially thought it was a glitch.