iPhone 2.2 Update, new & undocumented features/fixes screenshots (Updated constantly)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiGo, Nov 21, 2008.

1. RiGo macrumors member

So, in the spirit of the previous thread for 2.1, let's start posting new and undocumented changes. I would start, but I'm still downloading the update.

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Look at App store, Categories. It should show a preview of some app beside each category, then when you tap it now shows "Top paid, Top Free, Release Date"

Look at Contacts, on the right side - the list of letters, before you could only tap it to view the said contacts but now you can actually scroll through it and it is smooth!

3. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Wow - I got copy & paste by swiping my finger real fast across the screen!!!

NOT! :p

4. taran420 macrumors 6502a

funny

Not:)

5. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I've noticed with the new podcast feature lets you download podcast that aren't made for the iPhone :(

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

UK phone numbers are now formatted correctly.

whereas before, you'd get a number such as 01234987654, you now get 01234 987654

7. Taedoan macrumors newbie

Podcasts

Podcasts are now listed oldest to newest instead of backwards. Now you can select the oldest podcast in a group and listen strait through to the newest one.

8. siufai macrumors member

If your phone is locked, passcode protected and SMS preview off, and you receive a new text, the person's name pops up now instead of just New Text Message

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Can anyone who HASN'T upgrade confirm this for me?

When tapping an App Store app on the home screen, it opens just as fast as a factory installed App. Here's what I mean. Tap an App Store app, it dims for a fraction of a second and then the app launches. Tap on SMS or Safari and it dims for the same amount of time. Previous to 2.2, App store apps would have a longer delay from when it started to launch (longer dim time on the icon). I noticed this lag on pre-2.2 and it seems to be fixed.

10. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Tapping a Podcast's episode's name will result in the podcast being played via streaming (instead of a straight download). Useful for testing out new podcasts.

When you have an already subscribed podcast or one you downloaded onto your phone, you can go into your iPod's podcast screen, tap the podcast name, and then there is a get more episodes link underneath all the episodes you have that will bring you straight to the podcast's page on the iTunes store. You can then download more episodes from there.

11. sboydman macrumors newbie

I noticed a change in the behavior in the "Passcode Lock" setting... All settings are now grouped and are only displayed after tapping on "Passcode Lock" and entering your Passcode. Previously, some settings such as "Require Passcode..." after a certain time interval could be changed without reinputting the Passcode. Let's say that you had the interval set to "After 5 minutes". If your phone was not locked, someone could change the interval to "After 4 hours without knowing the Passcode. I think that this is an improvement. I would have liked to see a "Never" choice for the interval, so that you could have an active Passcode without the iPhone ever requiring that the code be entered to unlock it. In order for that to happen, you need to turn the "Passcode Off." However, that would allow somebody to pick up your phone and set a Passcode that you didn't know. Yes, that may be unlikely, but I don't like the idea of leaving the phone without one. Therefore, I keep mine set to "Require Passcode After 4 hours, which is not too inconvenient.

12. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Holy crap... streamed podcasts. Nice!