iPhone 2.2 vs. 1.1.4 - Performance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ppc750fx, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Anyone who's upgrade to 2.2. from 1.1.4: how are things on the performance front? Is there any keyboard lag? Do apps take longer to open?

I'm currently running 1.1.4 jailbroken (have been for a long time), since it's quite stable. I'm considering upgrading to 2.2., but won't if the performance will suffer.

After the 2.1 upgrade was released, I heard from everyone how it totally fixed the performance problems, how there was no lag, and how apps opened just as fast as they did on 1.1.4. So I upgraded from 1.1.4, and to my surprise, none of that was true. There was noticeable keyboard lag, apps took several seconds longer to open than on 1.1.4, and things were buggy to say the least. My suspicion is that 2.1 just looked good in comparison to 2.0 et. al. I tried to live with it, but the keyboard lag and app launch delays were such that I ended up reverting to 1.1.4.

This time around, I want to be a bit more cautious. Therefore, I'd like some feedback on this update from anyone who's used 1.1.4 recently. (Other folks can share their experiences too, but I'd be particularly grateful for those who've recently used the same firmware version as I.)

Thanks!

2. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

IMHO, it is faster than 2.1, but not nearly as fast as 1.1.4. I'd hold off...

3. redman042 macrumors 68020

2.2 is definitely snappier than 2.1 or 2.0, but there's still room for improvement. For example, when I create a new calendar item, and I click on the subject field to type in the name of the event, there's always a short lag before I can type. It used to be much longer, and sometimes really pisses me off. And I wonder if the lag will slowly get worse as my 2.2 install "ages" (ie. junk builds up in memory).

I expect fairly instantaneous response from such a powerful phone. They still have a little work to do.

I wish someone I knew had 1.1.4 so I can see what 2.x could be once it's finally tuned.

4. manishsingh4u macrumors newbie

2.2 seems okay

Yesterday, I upgraded my 1st generation IPhone from 1.1.4 to 2.2. It felt a little slower but, not for all applications. Here's what I have noticed so far. I don't know if these features come from 2.2 or from other versions which came between 1.1.4 and 2.2.

1) I can now search for contacts using default dialer. Good.
    2) Since it has Microsoft Exchange Server Support, I can assume that I can map my e-mail account to access my official e-mails. Good.
    3) The still camera loads a little slower than 1.1.4. Not good but, still okay.
    4) MxTube search which got broken with 1.1.4 works fine with 2.2. Good.
    5) Safari Address bar has got reduced in size and an extra Google search is added. Not helpful but, still okay.
    6) IPod Video seek delay is reduced. Very good.

I know there might be more things which I will be noticing in the next few days but, at present I would call this a good value for upgrade.

I think I will stick with 2.2 for now.

Thanks,
    Manish

5. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

6. mikebotz macrumors newbie

So did you upgrade?

The same thing happened to me. Still on 1.1.4 and it does everything. I was wondering if you ever upgraded to 2.2, and is it better this time?

7. ppc750fx thread starter macrumors 65816

Indeed I have upgraded, and I'm pleased to say that there's very little performance difference. There are some very slight "stutters" or "pauses" every once in a while, but they're exceptionally rare. Typing isn't quite as smooth as 1.1.4, but it's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it.

2.2 is a *vast* improvement over 2.0/2.1