iPhone 2.5G Unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tragedies, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Im debating wether to buy a new 8GB or 16GB iPod Touch on eBay (new for 100 unde retail) or for a bit more, an unlocked 2.5G iPhone.

The only thing stopping me from getting the unlocked 2.5G phone, is well, the unocked part.

Will Apple somehow brick all iPhones that are unlocked? (except 3G iphones) Will an unlocked iPhone still be able to download the 2.0 firmware (will it be free?) and will they still be able to download from the App store?

And will they be able to access the internet (both WiFi and 2.5G) correctly? Down ehre in Aus, could I, for exmaple, browse the internet on 2.5G with Optus? Despite being slow, I'd still like to have the option.

Overall, what Im asking, are there any disadvantages of having an unlocked 2.5G iphone rather then an officialy bought locked 2.5G iPhone? Can Apple even tell?

2. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Hey there.

I own an unlocked phone, and my only reason for doing so is that I use it on a different network to o2. The only downside to this is that I can't get the updates as soon as they're available.

However, the dev community work hard and generally have unlocks out a short time after the update is released. For example, 2.0 software is already unlocked and we're just waiting for it to appear online.

I can honestly say that you will not regret getting an unlocked phone, you jsut need to be a little more patient with getting the updates. everything on the phone works perfectly (except visual voicemail, since that's a feature of the exclusive network).

Any more q's?
    Hope I helped.
    Dan x